A couple ways to drop your bike...(got any more?)

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by kehale, Apr 4, 2003.

1. KneeDragGirl

KneeDragGirl Heather Bear

Oddometer:
    Does that mean that I will be wrapped up in a straight jacket and put in a padded cell?

If that's the case....be sure you play really good music!!
  2. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Naw, just wrapped in an Aerostich and put on a padded GS....iPOD optional!

I just re-read this and kehale, your list of odd bikes is as fun as the tip-overs! Tripple two stroke, rg250, 84CR500, MB5, RD350 (#107, funny!)....

I've done 12 of the 183 first biffs.

Oh, I remember more...

185. Wondering why, when coasting down ice covered concrete street, WHY does the rpm suddenly go to idle? cuz....the rear wheel is not turning. Entertained by me and the EX500 both doing many 360's sliding together down the road. On the way to work, so everyone makes fun of my slushy/ice covered clothes.

186. It's hot. I'll wear everything except.....GLOVES! Barely get the front brake on as a 100+lb black lab darts out of the owners door, and in front of me. Make note of the F250 Hiboy next to me as I T-bone the dog and the EX500 and I do a Nac Nac and I go over the bars, tumble and land on my feet. Scratched my hand. Tell the owner, no big deal the bikes already seen the pavement. Get home and realize that stench is dog shit that was squeeeeeeeeeeezzzed out of the big Lab all over my bike. No animals were harmed in this posting.

187. "trakmaster" non DOT knobby (and the worst tire made) + hot dogging around corner + painted crosswalk with oil on paint = wonderful low slide in front of college students.

188. Borrow neduro's XR650 without "exactly" asking. Low slide in front of him while demonstrating my power sliding abilities.

189. After nice weekend with wife at quaint bed and breakfast, get on KTM950 and foot slips on wet pavement. Yell at wife to "JUMP" as we high side in front of bed and breakfast. Ask wife to help pick up the pig while she's still laying on the ground, laughing. Sort of laughing. Not really.

190. Hit rock the size of a stove while single track trailriding, looking at scenery instead of trail. Smash big toe through MX boot into bloody pulp so it looked like a spoon.

More later...
  3. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    #191. Loop of my shoelace blew over the gearshift lever of my 1980 Suzuki GS1000G and I couldn't get my foot down at a stop light. I know, I should have been wearing boots.
  4. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    192. A friend of mine was working on his bike in his attached garage taking the fuel tank off. When the phone rang, he stuffed the fuel line back on the shut off valve (can you see where this going?). He answers the phone and grabs another beer in the same hand that is holding a screw driver and pushes the door open to return to the garage. He drops the screwdriver into what is now a 6 foot wide puddle of gas! He watches the slow-motion end-over-end flight of the screwdriver as it hits the puddle and, of course, sparks, etc. etc. etc. The two bikes didn't fall down, they melted down with half of the garage, all tools, freezer, kid's bicycles, etc.
  5. ServoJockey

ServoJockey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bring home new to me F650. Park in driveway on sidestand. Tell (my) 5 and 7 year old boys playing in yard, "Don't touch the bike, I will give you a ride in a couple of minutes." Go in house to relieve bladder pressure. While finishing up, 7 year old comes in house and proclaims, "Daddy, the motorcycle just fell over". 5 year old is in driveway trying to pick up bike.

The rest of the story; the door to the house wasn't even closed when the 5 year old started climbing on it, from the right side. We are lucky he was not hurt when the bike fell. In retrospect, I should have told them to climb all over the bike, then they wouldn't have touched it.
    Now I always put it on the center stand. And the boys don't touch it unless they ask.

This is a lot funnier when I think about it now. My 5 year old, now 9, doesn't like to talk about it.
  6. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    HAHA I remember gingerly climbing on my dads CL175. Didn't crash it but I was scared. My 950 reminds me of that, since I can't really touch the ground on the 950 either.
  7. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    194, have not dropped it yet(for this reason)

i can't believe how often the cuff of my pants(i know,i should be wearing boots)gets hung on the peg or side stand just as i am about to throw it up on the center stand.
  8. mikeym

mikeym Long timer

Oddometer:

stopped, and take both hands off your bars to readjust your balls and your bike tips and its too heavy to catch with your legs... ;)

did that one before :lol3 lucky the bike was ok

~mikeym
  9. Chico

Chico Passing through

Oddometer:
    Pumping up the rear tire of a 650gs with an extra long kick stand, using a hand pump and having it dominoe into the r/90 next to it and cause the r/90 to dominoe into your defenseless drum kit. :(:
  10. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Attempt to reach the screwdriver laying on the other side of a Kawasaki Vulcan by leaning wayyyy over the seat from the left side of the bike instead of simply walking around it. Watch Vulcan tip over and smash into a ZX-11. Watch both bikes end up on the ground in a big pile. Curse. alot.
  11. MotoMind

MotoMind Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checking in with a 62 today...

62. Using a little too much power turning the first corner after you've put on new tyres (with that nice slippery release compound on them).
  12. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    197 Whilst pulled up and sitting astride in a parking lot immediately outside a burger joint, observes a whole bunch of VIP type cars pull in to the same lot. Several VIP type dudes get out and some proceed to the the burger joint. You then notice one of them is Obama and he actually looks straight at you and waves/smiles as he walks past. In utter surprise and shock, one loses one's concentration and falls over.
  13. aeneas

aeneas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These all happened in 1 week time after I just upgraded from a 125cc to a 800cc..

198. 6yo daughter sits on the motorcycle while I push it towards the garage. Take a sharp left turn and go from the sidewalk onto the street, lose balance because I don't let it lean towards me but keep it upright.. and have it slowly fall over to the right.. passed the tipping point, only thing I could do was telling her to watch out while I try to hang on so it falls gently..

199. take a left hand turn corner too fast in heavy rain, not being able to brake in time.. so decide to go straight to be able to keep braking more.. only turning at the very last moment but still hitting the curb and dropping anyway.

and a near-fall, just was able to keep it: too sleepy on my commute to work in the morning and not paying attention, took a right-hand turn into a street in 3rd gear instead of 1st.. I brake a lot to see if the adjacent bicycle path is clear, engine stalls and rearwheel locks up. Saved it by quickly grabbing cluth and keeping it in balance, was a what happened moment and woke me up..
  14. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:

Changing the rear shock on a DL 650.

A friend helps me, we use a chain hoist to tie it to the ceiling and lift it.

All works fine until the last moment, lowering it, I'm leaning over the bike to stabilize it, chain hoist slips as it's released, bike does a perfect judo throw - I mean PERFECT, dumps me on the ground and jumps up and down on me.

Pete
  15. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Does a low speed tumble over a plastic speed bump count? As in, do not try to slowly ride diagonally over a wet plastic speed bump. The rear tyre will just spin, and you will have to get your foot down in a hurry..

I saved it, but damn was it close.
  16. Grimes

Grimes ΜΟΛ&#

Oddometer:
    201. Letting friend sit on your newly restored bike for a picture, and said friend thinks it's funny to joke around when they don't realize how much a bike can really weigh

Let a friend sit on my restored Honda XL250 for a picture. Said friend thought it would be funny to wobble the bike side to side.

Was about to tell the friend not to do that as the bike is heavy, only to watch in horror as my restored bike fell to the ground. After helping my friend up, I accessed the damage.

It was a broken original Honda clutch lever, scratch in the painted crankcase cover, scratched original turn signal, scratch in the original paint of the tank, and a rub mark on the original grip.

I was not happy to say the least, but the friend payed for a new AFTERMARKET clutch lever. I touched up the other damages as best as I could, but it was never how it was before.

I sold the bike 2 months later.
  17. Unca Fud

Unca Fud nrpetersen

Oddometer:
    Add 202. Daughter - 120 lbs after MSF course. Driving her new-to-her Honda CX500 starting on a slight hill after putting both feet down per MSF instruction. Bike rolls backward and down she went. Motorist helps her up. Same thing happened at the next stop sign too. She didn't know how to hold the bike with the brake.

I tried to explain how to use all four appendages to start on a hill, using rear brake, clutch, throttle, and left foot down, but she said the MSF said to just put both your feet down. No instruction on how to start a heavier bike on a slight hill. "Dad, they must know what they are teaching!"

Lost the argument and she left the hobby. MSF instructor said what I was advocating was too complicated. Sold the bike.
  18. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks. My German instructor had me ride up to a slight hill, gave me the "four appendages" speech, and off we went, no issues at all. Who puts both feet down on a hill?
  19. Islesfan91

Islesfan91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    two examples - on my brand new 2011 ninja 650 (before I crashed it and got the 2012)

example 1 - pulling up to the garage to park it after almost being taken out by a careless cager and still pissed off jumped off it without putting the kickstand down..and got even more pissed off. Bent the clutch lever into an interesting hook and a couple scuffs on the left side

example 2 - making it through the winter on the bike as a new rider without having any further issues and in for the first service at the dealer. Finally finished and I pull out of their parking lot looking left to try and see past the garbage bin and make sure no cars were coming and missed that there was a 3 inch drop to the street thanks to the alley being freshly repaved. Front wheel caught the lip and yanked right, throwing the bike down to the right and creating even bigger scuffs on that side, and snapping the front brake lever in half (the broken lever bounced about 25 feet in the air before coming back down) then having to wheel it back into the dealer to get a new front brake lever, and to bend the rear brake lever back into place as it was jammed into the plastics

thankfully? I crashed the bike in June and it was a complete mess, so I've upgraded to the 2012 Ninja 650 which (knock on wood) is still in pristine condition
  20. drrider1

drrider1 just running amuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    First gas stop on a 600 mile ride home with my new to me r1100rt didnt realize long the side stand was. As I'm filling the tand cg takes over and down it goes with me holding the gas nozzle. found out how expensive mirrors are:norton