Which state (USA) has the most bugs?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Dr. Greg, May 15, 2012.

1. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did not read the whole thread.

I try to avoid certain evening hours when they're especially bad. That varies from state to state. Good topic. Bugs can ruin your day.

Why is it that regardless of the hour of day, bugs are REALLY a problem anywhere near large areas of farmed crops? You'd think that a heavily wooded area, or an unfarmed prairie would be worse. Crops are supposed to be treated to drive these buggers off? No?

I guess that where there's food, the bugs will come regardless.

So that's my vote. Avoid heavily farmed areas while riding if you can.
  2. ULY-RPG

ULY-RPG cool hands adv

Oddometer:
    Minnesota land of 10,000 Mosquitos

2 years ago my Mom and I were heading back to Baudette and were on back roads, hot, dusk, going along great. She's a great Tourstress lol. Then came the cloud! I was in front and grabbed some brake and still got caked head to toe fishflies:puke1 She slowed way down and ducked behind the bike"s screen and laughed pretty good at my expense.:freaky
  3. c5babe

c5babe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago, The One I Love :crash and I were heading across South Dakota. He was ahead of me and kept kicking up gravel at me (I thought). Suddenly, I got a big juicy grasshopper on my face shield that hit me so hard it almost knocked me out of the seat. Turns out the "gravel" he was kicking up were millions of grasshoppers. By the time we got home, we were covered head to toe with grasshopper guts. I had to take the stitches down to the car wash and use the pressure washer on them to get the guts out. It was gross. The bikes were covered in their bodies, and 2 years later, I still occasionally find a grasshopper piece hiding somewhere. Yuck. So South Dakota gets my vote. But I still like riding there.
  4. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Fish Flies" or "Mayflies".

Back in the '70s for a couple of summers every square foot of space looked like this when I lived in the "thumb" of Michigan. In the evening they'd be attracted to lights and would literally coat the fixtures and surrounding area in a solid blanket of flies. Thank god I was too young to ride back then. But the memory still makes me shiver a bit.
  5. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Where and when is this? So that I may never ride there :eek1 :puke2

6. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Does deer count? :D Oregon has plenty of those. At least they seem to act as smart as bugs do in terms of "crossing" the path of a rider.
  7. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Grew up in Florida Virginia and Louisiana! god awful bug states, well god awful states for that matter minus the beaches in FL and VA!
    Surfing the outer banks, as soon as the wind dies down in the evening you have to run to your tent, NOW! bugs did not bother me much till then! Mosquitoes attacked in force!

"Outer Banks of NC can hang with any place I've been."

Traveling through Nevada, the Mormon crickets might have been nastier than the mayflies and lovebugs in FL if they ever got higher than a foot of the ground, ya see millions covering the road, red moving sea of them, invading towns and going anywhere they want. Yellow goop all over wheels boots fairings etc. They are big and hurt If you hit one! but the moving road aka crickets walking on the road, making it look like the road is moving is very disconcerting!
  8. suwee

suwee Alledged Rookie

Oddometer:
    Funny, I was crossing the NE corner of NM back in '95 heading for Glacier NP and drove through the worst swarm of beetles I've ever seen. Sounded like hail and lasted for a few miles. I've never seen as much bug carnage anywhere since. This is the first time I've heard anything about getting them in control. You're welcome.