2013 Yamaha FJR

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Fundamental

Fundamental Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Oh fek :yikes a brand new bike. I wonder if it's a press bike. :cry blame it on those pesky side cases. :D
  3. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oh shit. that's a little embarrassing. :eek1
  4. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Oh noes. :-/
  5. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man! What a dumb fuck!!
  6. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    That would totally suck... Black scratches so easy..:eek1
  7. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    Contact Blind Squirrel on the FJR Forum. He's selling his 04/ABS out of Virginia. The bike is cherry and after riding with him in NC at EOM I can say he's a VERY conservative rider.
  8. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least he landed in the boat :eek1
  9. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Good point, if'n he landed in the water with that goofy helmet and all his gear, he woulda sank like a brick! :rofl
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dtXFThyr764" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gawd. That crunch sound made me wince..

Still no sign of the new bikes over here - the dealer closest to me is having a fire sale on the old bike. Looks like Yamaha UK has realised that to stay in business, its good to actually sell a few bikes now and then. Most of the range has now had a "re-alignment".

The new one is coming in at £13,500 otr. In the same ball park as the new Trophy..
  12. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    This is rather interesting to me. While flash to pass on my Ducati was ignored, the headlight modulator worked wonders, to the point that a firetruck pulled me over (lights/sirens then stopped behind me). The driver wanted to thank me as the modulator made me VERY visible to him. Considering in the first 10 miles on that bike I was almost hit three times by people who later claimed not to have seen me I was very happy with the modulator. Now if they made a CANBUS compatible unit...
  13. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a deposit on the 2013 FJR after 20+ years away from biking. I rode a 1956 Panhead hardtail with 10" over Durfee girder front-end for many years. I'm a bit older now (mature :rofl), and find that a long distant tourer appeals to me now. Somewhat apprehensive about riding again, I'm also very excited about getting on the road with two wheels.

I look forward to sharing my impressions about this bike, and learning many things from all of you here.
  14. u wish u could ride

u wish u could ride SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer:
    THIS BIKE IS GONNA ROCK YOUR WORLD!!just make sure you give yourself time to get used to it ! i ride a 07 and cant imagine better braking or a smoother faster version be safe and report back!!
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LKLD,

Lots of info over on FJRowners.com, but search before asking questions. The mods seem intent on stopping any repeated questions, that or they want to drive away anyone not in their little club.
  17. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    It looks like a great bike and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

When I re-entered two wheel riding 15 years ago, after a 15 year absence, I went with a bigger bike than I had ever ridden. I wish I had taken a riding course for returning riders at the same time. I didn't and muddled through, surprised at how much rust I'd gathered.

I've had tons of bikes since, lots of track days, plenty of off road, several experienced rider racing/dirt/adventure courses and ridden many, many miles. I'm a pretty good rider. But it would have been easier I think, when I first returned, if I'd done some training.

My 2 cents.

Regardless, have fun! It will be the beginning of great times!
  18. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to second the notion of a safety course.

It's been twenty years since you exercised some coordination and reflexes- and then in ways quite different from where you're heaeded- and traffic management skills that have become even more critical to your survival.

There's the obvious option of a BRC- which I wouldn't discount if it's really been 20 years since you last had to coordinate motorcycle controls; many students do well to have the extra time going over the very basics- but also depending on where in Florida you are, there are BRC2, Bike Bonding courses, and Advanced courses that you might look into.

Yeah, it's a couple hundred bucks and a weekend's worth of time. Pocket change when you're looking at staying safe and keeping your new $16K toy shiny.

As for the FJR- this is not your Harley; take some time to get used to it, and viva la difference!
  19. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy I like pussy

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on a fine choice; them 2013s are hawt! :thumb
    You'll prolly wanta have the seat in the low position at first, (For more confidence stopping.) and make sure they have air in the tires (40F/42R) upon delivery. (I've heard of bikes being delivered with 30F/32R and thay'll make it feel like a big heavy pig.)
    When ya factor in reliability, the low maintenance, handling, comfort, range on a tank; it's as good as it gets on two wheels. :rayof

[​IMG]
  20. LKLD

LKLD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice and tips, as I'm a sponge right now about all things concerned with riding. I have vacation next week, so I had already planned to take the basic riding course, just to get the feel again if nothing else. I did ride my son's Harley from the shop to his house a couple of years ago, but that's been about it, as my wife isn't too keen on bikes. I'm trying to be careful, and take it slow and easy.

Speaking of that, I figured that when I pick it up at the dealership I would put it in "tour mode", in hopes that it wouldn't have an abrupt throttle response. That way I might find it easier to take off w/o any issues. I sure don't want to screw the pooch the first day!

I expect my boots and helmet Wednesday, but haven't got the jacket/pants,or gloves yet. I should have at least a few weeks before I can pick it up, so will get those next.

Speaking of gear, has anyone here ever used, or know someone who has used, "motorama.it" ? They have Clover gear much cheaper than the British sites, and that is my first choice. Just not sure about overseas ordering, even though they rate well as a website (security, etc..).

Again, thank you all for your help....I really do appreciate it.