sharing google earth file

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by XRman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello GPS persons,

I have just created a track using a KML file from Google Earth. I loaded the track from my Garmin to OZIexplorer mapping program and saved it as a KML file.

My question is, how can I use this file in a ride report? Is is possible to link it somehow?
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Do you want to load an image of the route to accompany a ride report?

You cannot load any file type other than a gpx in the GPS forum. In other areas of the site, you can link in images, but you can no longer load pictures - it's a space issue since the site has become so large.

There are a variety of ways to create an image of your map if that is what you would like to do. You can then host the image on an outside site, and link in the image using the little yellow picture icon from the thread post toolbar.
  3. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi 9Dave,

I suspected that was the case. What I did was photograph the Google Earth map and posted that via photobucket. It achieved my desired effect.

I will have to research the GPS forum to see where t inmates are posting GPX files. I can save my tracks as GPX files so I feel confident with that.
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Cool. In Windows, you could also screen print (ALT + PrtScrn), paste into MS Paint, edit the image however you'd like, then save as a JPG and load that to Photobucket, then link in.

As for GPX files, they go in the subforums off of the main LDT forum. They are still arranged by the old, old, ADV geography (East, Central, etc.)