S.e.t. 2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Day13, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, the 2nd annual South East Trail ride is in the books and it was an absolute blast. The actual route goes from Ormond Beach, FL to Tellico Plains, TN. Last year we rode north from Baldwin, FL which is actually day 2 of the route, but this year we loaded the bikes up in the van and leapfrogged ahead to the end of day 2. The guys were waiting at my house when I got home from work around 3pm and after a quick shower we started driving north and got to the campsite at George L. Smith State Park before dark. It's a great spot with a neat little store/restaurant run by some good ole country folks who stayed open late to fix us up some tasty grub.

The merry band L-R: Rony, Fred, Dave, Dave, Fred.

The organizer and ride leader, Bill, is also the chief photog so he's not in many of the pics.

[​IMG]

Dinner at the Mill Pond on our first night.

[​IMG]

That's Bill with the stack of styrofoam! A good ending to the first day.

[​IMG]

We awoke the next morning with high expectations of getting on the bikes and setting out on our way north through old rural, south central Georgia. We were not disappointed.

Did I mention that this was a killer spot?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We saddled up and prepared to get the show on the road. Dave took the first stint of driving our hotel room on wheels. What a set up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't long before Bill had us strung out down some old Georgia dirt roads that have probably looked pretty much the same for the last 150 years. We saw parts of our bordering state that most people have never heard of, let alone ever seen. It was like stepping back in time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill with a good back hand self portrait!

[​IMG]

Lots of cool historical things to check out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pressing on.

[​IMG]

Rony's first water crossing. :clap But not his last! :evil

[​IMG]

I made it too!

[​IMG]

Beautiful scenery. Everything was blooming to usher in spring. The wisteria smelled heavenly.

[​IMG]

Rony's constant companion!

[​IMG]

Dave got the Airstream docked at our next spot and unloaded his bike and doubled back to hook up with us at Hamburg State Park. Another awesome spot.

[​IMG]

Deep in the bowels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A cool old church that still holds services.

[​IMG]

An itinerant preacher throwing down some hell fire and brimstone! I was all ears! :ear

[​IMG]

Now that's a pine tree!

[​IMG]

Dave, Rony, Me and Fred reflecting on what we've seen so far and anticipating what lies down the road.

[​IMG]

Fred performing a systems check and preparing for departure.

[​IMG]

Dogwoods going off. More backroad goodness!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A rare shot of the six of us.

[​IMG]

To be continued...
  2. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    The book of Fred.

[​IMG]

I got to thinking about all the finer points of motorcycle travel we learned from Fred on this trip, for he is a rolling encyclopedia of helpful tips on the subject, most of it old school learned from trial and error.
    And you've probably read some of his travel tales over the years, he's had articles published in l believe all the major mags at one time or another. He's done a 100ccc, ridden US50 coast to coast, been to all the courthouses in Georgia, Florida, and Texas (ponder that one for a moment), and quite a few other states. He's also currently leading his category (70 and over) in hare scrambles competition. So when Fred talks, people listen, I know at least we did. :D We'll try to recall some of his tidbits as the story progresses.
  3. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like fun. What was the ratio of dirt/street? Total miles? I know a couple FF's that I could talk into another DS trip
  4. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    For the five days I think the mileage is around 900, maybe a little more. We haven't figured out the percentage of dirt but I tell people 80% because it seems and feels about like that. It's probably less but no one's complained so far about it not being enough. Kinda varies each day, the longest is about 240 so it's got more pavement and w/some higher speed dirt. The shortest is about 135 and has more dirt, lot of it slower speed. I believe each day ranges from about 7 to 9 hours riding time, roughly. Can you tell I don't have a GPS? :D
  5. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    Hey Buzztail, shoot me a mail if you are thinking about this ride, I have family that lives in NC and have been wanting to make the trip myself. I went the BQFF this past year but I dont think you made it. I live west of you in Bell. Ive got some great dualsport loops in this area if you're interested.:clap
  6. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    sounds good! I did 1400 miles on my KTM450 back in Sept in 6 days or something of the sort.

Justcountry:
    I was at BQF, but didn't bring a bike (slept in my Jeep) Let's see who all we can get and what time frame we'd be looking at:deal
  7. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend either the next month or two or waiting until Fall but that's just me, I hate riding in the heat. Also there are a few sandy sections in the Fla. day along with one road in S. Ga., and with the longer days they just get worse, although nothing a mid-size bike couldn't handle.

The route ends each day at a State Park that has campsites and cabins, there are lunch stops each day, most of them really good, and gas is available at least every 100-110 miles. Several choices for dinner each night too.
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Nevermind.... I don't ride in sand :lol3

Thanks for the info... I'll keep watching this thread for more too

Looking to do it on either my 450 again or the 690- though I could take the Ascot :evil
  9. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    If I may make a suggestion, I think your KDX would make an excellent steed upon which to complete this journey.
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    You find it, and I'll ride it:deal
  11. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    I think you probably sold it and forgot. Now quit chuckleheading up the thread.
  12. slimy

slimy Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great story. Keep it coming!! :lurk
  13. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

From the book of Fred:

Don't need no fancy gear. Mesh, liner, and a waterproof jacket w/hood (keeps water from running down your back).
    That's it.

There's no such thing as waterproof boots, unless they're rubber.

When your boots get wet, stuff newspaper in them overnight, they'll be dry in the morning.

When camping don't use anything with batteries, they'll die. Run everything off the bike's battery with a power cord, it's big enough.

Don't eat after 7pm, "you're diggin' your grave with your teeth". :D

[​IMG]

I hadn't seen this section from a bike and in daylight, having driven the truck on it the year before. It's where the surface gradually changes from yellow sandy dirt to Ga. red clay and the terrain starts to get some (slight) elevation.

[​IMG]

Some roads are nicely manicured.

[​IMG]

Others are fairly old and head thru the woods from one town to the next.

[​IMG]

Do you think Rony is having too much fun?

[​IMG]

He says no, only a very slight amount. :D

[​IMG]
  14. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    :ear
  15. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now, where was I? Oh yes, Tales from the Tripped...

After a brief pit stop we were back at it again.

[​IMG]

Who turned the lights out?

[​IMG]

That's better. I was getting claustrophobic in there!

[​IMG]

What a nice spot.

[​IMG]

Crankin' it up to get to more dirt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A stroll through another one of Georgia's great state parks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A neat old stagecoach stop from the 1800's.

[​IMG]

Now we're talkin'!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good spot to pause. Back in a bit...

[​IMG]
  16. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Viewing that last photo you may ask yourself how mud and leaves got on TOP of the front fender. :rofl

I think the consensus is that accidents (ok let's just call it a crash) occur when a combination of bad or incorrect things happen at the same time. In this case there were at least five, or it just may be the best I can come up with.

Note to self; don't leave home with a bald front tire, ride too fast at the end of a long day because you can smell the barn, or try to dodge mud puddles on a soggy road while taking photographs over shoulder with one hand, to keep your crappy boots from getting wet. :norton

It's entirely likely footage will surface eventually. :D
  17. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    Can we get an update before Buzz gets back from banned camp please?
  18. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By all means. A little gentle persuasion can work wonders. So my wife tells me! :wink:

We began to work our way over the mountain and on to our lodging for the night. There were some great roads yet to be ridden this day, both dirt and paved. We were all stoked by this point having gotten to the mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we came out of the woods and began the final approach to our destination on pavement we were treated to some really good twisty action that had us hoping the campground was further than the GPS was telling us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it to the campground and turned in reasonably early in anticipation of more fun and frivolity the next day. Bill had saved the best for last and planned our most ambitious day's riding to close out the trip. It figured to be well in excess of 200 miles. And I don't mean easy slab miles. We got an uncharacteristically (ahem!) early start and that may have been due in part to Bill appointing me to lead the morning portion while he remained behind in camp to attend to more pressing matters. :eek1

It got good quick...

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791883658_FGpd9ms?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

We entered the woods at high altitude and were immediately enveloped by a strange, foreboding mist that cast an eerie pall over the road and the riders. It was as if we were riding in a dream OR the cameraman forgot to wipe the condensation from the camera lens!! :rofl

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791897022_vBRQRxZ?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

Fast Freddie showing the rest of us that those single track hill climbs ain't nothin'!!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791898174_4rqjVBp?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

I thought the water was supposed to flow under the bridge!!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791912612_2pgM5BK?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

I wanted to get some footage of some of the guys, so Fred the Elder led us over Tusquitte Gap. Rony, on the big GSA (der Panzer), navigated the twisting, rocky terrain with the easy aplomb of one walking to the end of the driveway to fetch the newspaper. This clip ran a little longer than I had intended (4 min.) but I suppose I was distracted. :D

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791944735_SRtJs6j?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

More good stuff of the way over the mountain.

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="640" height="360" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1791940947_C7wg2qn?width=640&height=360"></iframe>

We got to the junction of Tusquitte and Tuni Gaps and as we came down the grade, well, well, well. What have we here?

[​IMG]

TBC...
  19. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    :clap
  20. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer: