Really big screen GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by todayIride, Dec 9, 2012.

1. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw you are using OziExplorer. Wonder if there is an equivalent in the US.
  2. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This entire concept has tremendous potential. I'm getting sick of small-screened overpriced GPS units. Properly set up I think a small tablet w a built in GPS may be a superior and less expensive alternative to Garmin's stranglehold on the genre. Obviously allowances have to be made for vibrations, water and other vulnerabilities, but a little resourcefulness may do the trick. And you may not have to keep shelling out for map updates.......

Watching this thread with great interest.....
  3. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Perfectly put.

I just made a quick track on google earth, emailed it to myself, then opened it up on my iphone in the google earth app. It tracked perfectly, just as quickly as my 60csx. Of course, I'm in my neighborhood and not out in the sticks. I have a cheapo ZTE tablet that I will try it on as well.

Two things, I had my 60csx set up so it adjusted the screen orientation to the direction I was heading... my iphone doesn't; at least not as far as I can figure out. And as far as I can tell the tablet hasn't tracked my movements, it just shows the same location as my start point. But, if I can figure out if the new ipad mini has GPS capabilities so that I don't have to rely on cell signal; well, I'll fuckin' pick one up tomorrow. Now that would be bad ass to have in my giant loop tank bag map pocket.
  4. bigbadandugly

bigbadandugly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this in another GPS thread, but the content is relevant here as well. Liquipel is a company that uses nanotech vaporization to "watersafe" your phone or tablet. I saw their display at the Consumer Electronics Show last January and it really works well. They had an iPhone in the "on" state sitting in a little waterfall as part of their display.

This technology would work really well on your tablet to allow you to put it on a RAM mount. Unfortunately this doesn't address the tablet's vulnerability to crashes. You would need a robust case for that.
  5. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Shifty,

I am using OziExplorer for Android (in Beta at the moment) and use the maps Australia 1:250k topo and Hema offroad topo maps. These came with my previous ($800! dirt nap) Hema PDA (windows CE) based GPS unit which ran OziExplorer as the '4wd' part of its functionality. All maps are offline/stored locally on the tablet. The tablet has a conventional GPS receiver and uses WiFi assisted GPS (aGPS) when it has a signal to help speed up the fix. Very effective GPS unit!

Very happy with OziExplorer Android even in Beta it seems fairly reliable. I especially like the fact that you can design 'screens' so I have one set up with map at the top and whole load of stats on the bottom half of the screen (avg speed, two resettable odometers, sunrise and sunset times, compass, distances and eta to next waypoint).
  6. Outwardbound

Oddometer:
    Next time I'm in Beijing I'll get a cheap android based tablet w a built in gps: stick a large capacity card in it, and have a go at this thing. If I ruin it I won't be as distraught if it's cheap....
  7. Outwardbound

Oddometer:
    Doing a bit more research, I came across Easy Map for Bikers (EMFB), an Android app which seems to fit the use of a tablet for navigation. Many have also heard of the Dual Sport Maps app as well. The more I look into it, the more plausible this becomes.

Somebody hold my wallet.......and don't give it back to me no matter how much I plead.....

EMFB thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776464
  8. usagi

usagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the software side, I've been using BackCountry Navigator for a couple years and love it. Though it does take a bit more computer savvy and set up time, it is absolutely great for offroad riding with the right prep. Unfortunately, that prep requires finding a source for Google Maps which is.... frowned upon, since it is stored on the device. But there are free OpenMaps alternatives.

I have been using an old Nexus1 as my offroad gps device for a while now, and thinking about upgrading to a 7 incher as well. It seems that the Kindle Fire HD is the best bet. They are said to have bright screens and they have been polarized for easier sunlight visibility. A Fire HD, Liquipel coating, Otterbox, and anti-glare screen protector sounds like just the ticket. My main issue is mounting. I mostly need it for singletrack, so it needs to be solid while reducing vibrations from the 2-stroke (not to mention roots and rocks). Any ideas?
  9. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Map pocket of tank bag, forget about hard mounting something so big and heavy on a dirt bike, it will vibrate itself to pieces.
  10. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:

the fire has a GPS?
  11. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    wouldnt like that myself i dont think too much head movement and focus adjustment
  12. usagi

usagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn, I hadn't noticed, but it's only the 8.9 LTE version that has it onboard. Bluetooth gps connection is an option, but it would mean two batteries being drained at the same time. I guess that wouldn't be a huge deal except for very long rides. The Nexus One could be stripped to the bare essential software and just host GPS if I don't want to drain my main phone.
  13. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess the question is how often do you have to actually look at the GPS.

For city routing, where you may be completely dependent on the GPS for 'turn by turn' directions and refer to it constantly (which IMHO is a major distraction and hazard), than a face level, mounted GPS would be necessary. I find for off-road/country road GPS (using topo maps rather than turn by turn routing/guidance) where the roads are long (think outback Australian roads and tracks) and I am not relying on the GPS for routing, I just refer to it occasionally to see where I am relative to the map. Often I'd use the opportunity to stop for a break, have a drink and figure out where I am relative to where I want to be . . . and for that the tank bag position is much better (and also doesn't obstruct forward visibility).
  14. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found your post and you are just the guy I have been looking for! I am considering a new Nexus 7 (2013) with 32gb memory and Sygic on my VStrom 650. I only ride on the road now. I'm 68 and recently learned that old bones break easily and heal slowly!

My question to you is if it is possible to program a complex route easily within Sygic. When I plan routes, I almost never go the logical way so a program that only allows Point A to Point B navigation won't be of much use to me.

In the past I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 765t and lugging along my pc so that I can program my route at night in the motel using MapSource. I would love to lose the pc and just have a tablet along.

If you have found a way to easily program multi-waypoint routes in the Nexus 7 and then have Sygic get you down that road with voice directions, I would sure like to know how to do that!

Cheers,
    Vic

15. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Osmand+ will do it, nice and easy: plot an a to b route, then add your waypoints you want to hit along the way

. Sygic but will not nearly so easily.

Also, the hisense sero 7 pro out performs the nexus but is only $150 at Walmart. Has a sdcard slot, flash, and front rear camera too. :thumbup:
  16. Tnkrplt

Tnkrplt Retired...

Oddometer:
    Have you considered a gps with blue tooth connected to a headset for turn by turn directions? Would reduce relying on visually seeing upcoming turns. I'm going with the new Zumo 590 myself and use a Sena BT headset. It has a 5" screen for better readability. I also use www.tyretotravel.com program for trip planning. It uses google maps/earth and is Garmin/TomTom compatible.