Hot and Humid sleeping

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by frogy, Jun 25, 2012.

1. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you sleep on or in when its hot and humid...bag,bivy,cot,silk sheets:evil
  2. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Silk or coolmax sleeping bag liner,also called travel sheets by some companies.

Use it regularly in your bag when not hot and humid and you will not have to clean your bag as often,just launder the liner as needed.

Also look online for sleeping quilts,similar to a sleeping bag with a boxed in foot section,but upper portion is loose like a quilt and can be secured around you or your sleeping pad if necesary,or moved off of you if its warmer.
    Western Mountaineering,Feathered Friends,Golite and Jacks R Better are some of the name companies for these quilts.

JR356
  4. OkieTom

OkieTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motel...................
  5. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    Watch "Out of Africa" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089755/) to learn the secret.

And, no, it's not hot and humid sex ...
  6. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Hammock tent is cooler than a regular tent.
  7. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  8. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    According to Cole Porter:

It's too darn hot.
    It's too darn hot.
    I like to sup with my baby tonight,
    Refill the cup with my baby tonight.
    I like to sup with my baby tonight,
    Refill the cup with my baby tonight.
    But I ain't up to my baby tonight,
    'cause it's too darn hot.​

I know these things 'cause I grew up in north St. Louis County where it's definitely too darn hot!
  10. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I spent my childhood running around outside in carolina summers, and it still too darn hot at night in the summertime here.

High elevation? fall/spring? Sure. Summer in the piedmont? No way. Plus hot and humid means mosquitos from hell anyway.
  11. Geoffster

Oddometer:
    Since no one here will watch "Out of Africa," here's what Redford and Streep did to sleep on safari: They got sh*t-faced every night.

A mild hangover is hell, but at least you slept.
  12. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    The worst nights I've ever spent camping have been the hot and humid ones. Everything my skin touches feels sticky. I don't use sleeping bag liners, I find myself twisted up in them throughout the night.

I've been wearing a Patagonia Capilene 1 silk weight long sleeve top and a pair of lounge pants from Walmart. The top has worked out so well that I've ordered a pair of bottoms. But It does help to have some airflow across your body.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HTT7KO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9

daryl
  13. El_Duderino

El_Duderino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The best solution I found when living in Darwin (NT Australia) and camping, was to use a silk sleeping bag liner, and a thermarest. That was by far and away the most comfortable way to get a good nights sleep...in the tropics, with 98% humidity, blah blah. Works wonders!! :clap
  14. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Residing in Thailand and camping out when its hot and humid (90F 85% humidity) its boxers and nothing else. Those using long sleeve/pant capilene tells me it can't be that hot or humid:lol3. Thats what I use when I want additional warmth in the winter.

You also want any airflow you can get so I sleep with my hammock without a tarp if its that hot (and not rainy season). or at least keep the tarp/rainfly raised above the hammock a few feet to scour any flow of air possible (one advantage of the hammock over the tent). The hammock has no insulation underneath it so its like lying on a piece of thin nylon that allows your body warmth to escape both on top and below and catch any airflow both top and bottom. So if its warm I vote hang a hammock instead of a tent and you'll sleep cooler.
  15. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Silk bag liner
  16. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have tried the silk liner and have found that during the night I get wrapped up in it.Not fun trying to untangle yourself without building up more sweat and fully waking myself up.
  17. ScooterboyII

ScooterboyII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Disliking the heat as much as I do, I just plan my trips not to be where it's hot at night. I head for the high elevations in the summer, and will go to the hot and or humid part of the country in early spring or late fall.
  18. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use an old cotton sheet over my summer wt sleeping bag, and a battery powered fan blowing on my head. I lay the sheet on top of my bag and pull the sheet over me as needed. I also use "wet ones" once in awhile when it's really hot/humid to wipe my face and arms. Kinda refreshing. You can only try to reduce the impacts of hot/humid, only an air conditioned motel will eliminate them.
  19. PG007

PG007 AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more. Having the tarp OFF the hammock makes a huge difference enabling your body heat to get away, even having it folded on top of its self, so one side is open really helps, then if a rain squall comes, you can quickly flip the other side of the tarp back over.

20. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I've tried silk and cotton liners in both the rectangle and mummy cut. They just don't work for me.

Someone over at White Blaze forum recommended light weight hospital scrubs for sleeping in: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?50647-Summer-Sleepwear&highlight=scrubs

Hammock Forum:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35426&highlight=scrubs

daryl