Anyone not like their Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pluric, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that your boat in the background as well :lol3
  3. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Sure would be cool if!
    1. There was a Traction Control over ride on the bars.
    2. Rear brake was not hooked to the ABS. (Font is integrated so you would always have it)
  4. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) Until they come up with software patch to do it on the fly it wonlt get moved to the bars. BUT a few people have just wired the switch into a bar mount setup.

2) The rear will "drag" but not lock. But I really don't know how you are supposed to do that unless you are using some kind of radar or sonar pick up the actual bike speed. At the moment you have to use the difference between wheel speeds on any ABS OR the change in deceleration. Could lead to problems either way. Wheel speed sensors are cheap and reliable. Radar is expensive.

On the other hand the small percentage of people that needed the ABS disabled AFTER TRYING IT just spend a few bucks and disable it. It works in most placed you dare to take the bike. Some people find this hard to accept that it is a big improvement over a others that seem to have issues. It is becoming more common on the newer bikes for ABS to just work pretty well most places including moderately bad off road conditions. 90% of people don't care now. The ones that care to try that is. It seems to be the one of those "general rules" that people won't let go. I have seen people stop before approaching a gravel road to switch off ABS. I can tell you that you have to get a whole lot more gnarly before you need to switch it off on the S10.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q7akBcHk-lk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However whether by really clever software or something else it would be good to let the rear "drag even more" without loosing the advantages of ABS on the front.
  5. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen on your RR's I believe that is your bike's default position....:lol3

:freaky
  6. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on Pluric, even the friggin BOAT got farther than you did!
  7. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3:freaky
  8. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Right. You don't need to turn it off 99% of the time on dirt. The only time you can do better with it OFF is on a 1st gear slippery, muddy downhill. On any dirt/gravel road you will stop better/faster/harder with ABS left ON, especially on the S10 cause it just works so well. I love being able to beat my non ABS pal's bikes to the corners, cause I can brake later and not worry about locking up the rear wheel in the corner, loosing control. Leave it ON and enjoy the advantage!:clap
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it......:lol3

Which boat? The white one or blue one?:scratch
  10. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point.

In fairness, just like the BMW and KTM on the ride, the boat had a trailer at one time too.:D
  11. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    Ouch!
    Surely SOMEBODY deserved that. :)
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My pet peeve is back. These shitty butter rims. After taking most the summer away
    from the Beast the cooler weather got me out on an amazing ride yesterday.

Washing up this morning I could feel the flat spot on the rear wheel. This is getting
    to be bullshit. It's the fourth time I will have sent wheels to Woody's to be fixed.

[​IMG]

It does help that I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a ride.
    It almost made it worth it.:D
  13. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    You do cover some pretty gnarly ground though..

What pressure are you running in the tires off-road Pluric?

Greg.
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just checked 30lbs. Normally I run at 40-42 rear and don't air down for dirt. Must have lost
    some air waiting for cooler weather.:dunno

Here is the rear after 6,500 miles. Gravel and TC off are a little hard on tires.:D

[​IMG]
  15. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least you have all your spokes...don't you?
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spokes all survived. I even checked them before the ride knowing we would be off road a lot.

I'm one of the early owners who lost a nipple and bent up a spoke. Bought a full set of spokes
    to get one nipple and spoke. Never needed one since. I'd prefer to replace a spoke over dealing
    with the bent wheels if the bike would give me a choice.:wink:
  17. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Test rode a tenere at a dealer demo day. Pretty good test although no dirt. I wanted to compare it to a GS, thought it was better in a lot of ways. Also tested a GS.

The Tenere feels more modern, is smoother, more fun to ride. Slow speed handling and torque twist on the GS was a detractor. The Tenere definitely needs the clutch fuse thingy though as the detuned ecu for 1-3 is more than horrible. When you grab the throttle it feels like it coughs - there's just not much there.

I'm 55 and 170lbs, so both bikes felt too heavy to me. I'm a dirtbiker from way back, used to a 230lb dirt machine. But I wanted a competent adventure bike, road bike, and something for 2-up. I was replacing a Kawasaki Versys.

Ruled out 'strada, too finicky, and all road oriented with the 17 front. Ruled out the 990, too much bodywork and it seems the EFI is a lightswitch that some just never get used to.

I bought a Tiger 800XC a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. They are really sorted, the motor is electric smooth, and it's about 100lbs lighter than everything else. For me, that's what drew me in, then the rest of it was just icing.

Were it not for the Tiger I would probably be a Tenere owner. I think they're great bikes, the flaws are minor and many can be dealt with. I doubt I could pick up any of them once loaded but the bigger bikes are just way too heavy for me. Wifey really likes the tiger pillion too, it's lightyears ahead of the Versys.

For really tough going I think these are all the wrong bikes - I have a Husky TE630 for that. When I ride with the big bikes in that stuff they are either pissed or envious, but none are happy on their heavy bikes. I woudn't think of bringing my Tiger on a lot of the terrain we get into, I use it more as a roadbike.

I really believe a guy has to decide the type ofriding he's going to do and pick the best tool for that. For so many, they do it backwards - they pick a bike and then try to make it work in terrain that isn't ideal. I see big dualsports on single track that a lightweighter would be so much better for. And I've ridden with big bikes in terrain that is fun on the husky and they are just getting their butt kicked. For road going and touring, the big bikes are in their element.
  18. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm,block of wood, FBHammer...with tyre still on,then ride on...?
    Plan #2 get a KTM :wink:
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Sometimes the medicine can be
    the poison.:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. TaZ9

TaZ9 Long timer

Oddometer: