Kenda K270 for XR650L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by banshee8989, Feb 13, 2009.

1. banshee8989

banshee8989 AKA: Fartman

Oddometer:
  2. aicram22

aicram22 Ride Everyday

Oddometer:
    The 270 is OK for 50/50 riding. I have them on my XR650R. I liked a trials tire in the rear and a knobby in the front better when I was't riding much off road.
  3. Z1Krob

Z1Krob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set on my bike. The rear is decent but I'd go with something a little more aggressive on the front. It clogs up easily.
  4. Intrigue_262000

Intrigue_262000 Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer:
    I have a set on my DR350. I think its the best"bang for your buck" tire. I've done some serious off-roading and a bit of highway with them. I like the set up on my bike.
  5. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    A very good 50/50 tire. I'll be mounting some for Death Valley in March.
  6. SAFETYFIFTH

SAFETYFIFTH Let's Rip Lip!

Oddometer:
    i agree, great tire. Im running them right now on my klr.

a search will yield a ton of results. this is one of the most popular tires out there.
  7. bellmnbell

bellmnbell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just went from the stock Dunlop 850's to the Kenda 270's on my XR650L. I have noticed that the handling of the front tire is not as nimble as the stock Dunlop was on the street. It's almost as if I now feel the gyroscopic effect of the larger circumference (is this possible?). The other thing I notice is breaking distance is way shortened with the 270 rear. I can't speak for their off road capability yet. I think next time I'll try the 606's or some other street oriented tire set-up. Suggestions appreciated.
  8. banshee8989

banshee8989 AKA: Fartman

Oddometer:
    I guess I should ask how they are compared to the death wings. I found the death wings to not be all that bad for true 50/50 riding. The only time I really had a problem with them is in the mud, but I think any tire that is going to work on the street is going to suck in the mud as the tread design that works good on the road is going to be to close for the mud and load up. I would rather get better grip on the road…….. as those 4000lb cages hurt.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I was kind of thinking of getting a set of dirt only tires so if its real muddy on a planned ride that is mostly off-road… I will just swap them out.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I find the weak spot on dual sports always seems to be the tires…… and is there really a tire that is good on the road (IE. I can take it on the highway) and also good in the dirt/mud ?
  9. masonjeffers

masonjeffers n00b

Oddometer:
    I took the shinko trail master tires off (which handled perfect!) and put on kenda k270 tires. Now the bike overseers (wants to fall down in turns) and wobbles about 60 Mph.
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I got one sitting in the garage, has 50 mi on it, used it once and pulled it off. Probably good for the pavement and the occasional dirt road. Beyond that I'd get something more aggressive.
  11. ramkas

ramkas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front Bad, Back good.
    The front does not corner well. It will want to "fall in" to the turn and not hold a steady line. The side walls of the front are to soft. If you get a flat at speed the result can be serious with a floppy sidewall on the blacktop. The back works well in most places but mud.
  12. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    I need to do a lot of paved back roads just to find a little gravel or dirt so I went to a K270 on the rear as well. It squirms in corners because of the tall skinny knobs and it "sings" at around 50 mph but it's adequate for gravel and packed dirt. I haven't had a chance to try it out in any slimy water crossings yet. I use a Pirelli MT21 up front.

[​IMG]

The 5.10 - 18 mounted on a 2.5" rim gives a nice profile. It will be a bit rounder and narrower when mounted on the stock 2.15" XRL rim.
  13. Snizz

Snizz Motorcycle Fanatic

Oddometer:
    I would try the Shinko 244 instead of the Kenda 270, similar pattern of tread with fatter side lugs, better road manners, and cheaper. I've used them on a 650L, and KLX250s with no problems at all. Great all around performance, commuting and trail riding. They are going on my WR250r when the stocker wears out.
  14. twowheelsdown2002

twowheelsdown2002 twowheelsdown2002

Oddometer:
    I would give the IRC GP1 a look. The rear is a lot like the 270, but the side knobs are wider, and do not roll over and squirm, and traction is better, with not as hard of a compound. Only good for about 2500 on the rear of my DR650, but a good tire. Smooth right up to 95mph on pavement.
  15. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
  16. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i never tried that IRC tire, but i swear by the M5B. those big honkin' knobs actually wear pretty good on asphalt, and wicked traction in the dirt...... i think the japanese made IRC's are really good products..... supposedly the ones from thailand, not so much.....