Gotta get some decent socks!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jbhawley, Jan 8, 2013.

1. jbhawley

jbhawley WTF- Gus?

Oddometer:
    OK gents! I need your suggestions on some decent boot socks that have good cushioning in the heels to prevent blisters and that provide some moisture wicking capabilities. I have tried at least 10 different kinds from full blown motorcycle sock to off the rack tube sock from wally world. Nothing works for me.

Wool socks are about as close as I can get to something that actually does the trick, but most wool socks have inadequate compression to hold them in place, especially in the over-the-calf style. If I could find some wool that had good compression to keep the socks from falling down or bunching then this would be my preferred hosiery.

I have tried baseball socks, soccer socks and these either have near 0% wicking as my feet sweated thus making the socks slide thus making a blister on both heels within a short walk.

I have thought about these from UnderArmor:
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-full-cushion-boot-socks/pid1223262-351

Regular crew length socks are OK in length as I can "get by" if needed, but prefer over the calf length.
    Also, I wear the Aerostich CBT lites year round. Yes this is a stiff leather boot but they are broken in fairly well. I have found that if I do stumble across a pair of socks that provides OK cushioning then there is always another variable that comes into play and I have to try again.

The thickness needs to be taken into consideration. I do not want to have to go up in boot size just to wear the socks. So this rules out most of the hiking or hunting type socks as they are way too thick.

Lastly, I would like to have all black or close to all black as this will suffice with my uniform and not require changing socks twice daily. However this is not a got to have, but a want. I would sacrifice color for comfort.

So with all that dribble...tell me what you recommend. Real world results. Also, I am a fairly thrifty bloke, my wife calls me "squeaky", so I do not want to spend a fortune on a pair of these jewels. no more than 20$ per pair. Any more than that an the socks better tickle my balls at the same time. :evil
  2. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    I was all ready to recommend the Revit Tour Winter Sock until I saw your price point.

If you keep coming up short on other options I would highly recommend spending the money on these as they are very comfortable, well padded but not bulky and great at wicking. Of course, YMMV but this has been my experience.
  3. jbhawley

jbhawley WTF- Gus?

Oddometer:
    OUCH! 37$. These are nice and I had considered them, a few weeks ago, until I saw the price.
  4. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on www.steepandcheap.com and also sign up for www.theclymb.com both often have Merino Wool/Lycra combo snowboard and ski socks for half of what your price point is. I happen to be wearing a set right now under my combat boots and fatiques. I wore them snowboarding last thursday and and on the GSA on sunday. If you sign up for theclymb say mrt10x@aol.com refered you and I get $10 :D Bottom line.. what you want is merino wool snowboard socks, or medium weight ski socks.

Edit: you will have a hard time finding all black.. but it can be done.. the ones I am currently wearing are "mostly" black
  5. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the BMW Technical socks? I can't say enough about them. They stay up all day long (really). They have fairly narrow sizing which means you get one that actually fits your foot. They have good cushioning. They have added thickness where you want it but are thin where you need it. All around great socks and cost is $20 per pair.

I have also used socks from 5.11 (see www.lapolicegear.com) and like them as well, but they don't hold a candle to the BMW socks.
  6. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
  8. Bighead

Bighead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Sierra Trading Post has quite a number of socks on sale now. It sounds if a ski sock may well fit your bill. They are available in a variety of weights and blends, and you can get two or more pair for $20.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com
  10. Stalky Tracker

Stalky Tracker Been here awhile

Oddometer:

+1 on Smartwool.

I prefer the PhD mediums but that's just personal preference.
  11. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Champion brand baseball socks (SportMart or similar) . . . . . they stay up, wick well (for me) and not too spendy.

As an ex-grunt, I am picky about foot related things . . . . . .
  12. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Road gear coconut socks. Kinda expensive well worth it
  13. dbg326

dbg326 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might give the dri-fit Nike Elite basketball socks a go. Some of those have double padding in the heel and forefoot. Kinda spendy though, although cheaper than some of the aforementioned options. I believe $14 for the regular ones, and $18 for the double padded.
  14. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Thor-Lo makes a sock with a cushion sole and heel that they call a "basketball" sock. It's tall enough to be a boot sock. I've worn these for many years, and am completely satisfied with them. I've never worn a hole in one.

Thor-Lo B-13: http://www.sportsdepot.com/thorlobasketball.html
  15. r3mac

r3mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorites are smartwool ski socks. They'll stay up all day long and don't reek and the end of the day.

In fact it's time to go look for another pair.
  16. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Knee-length Sealskinz. Unless it's going to be very hot, in which case I go for very light weave compression socks (forget the brand).
  18. Simplyred

Simplyred No longer active on ADVRider.

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the Falke TK2 or SK depending on how long you want them to be. Falke has excellent products in their sports section that can be combined very good with motorcycle boots.
  19. rboett

rboett posser noob 205 Supporter

Oddometer:
    any smart wool,, visit rei and rei outlet I picked up some great snowboard socks on sale that are close to what you describe. also Smartwool PhD Light Ski Socks , on sale here for $9.93 ,, IF you have big feet, size 12 plus:lol3

http://www.rei.com/product/840868/smartwool-phd-ski-light-socks-mens-2011-closeout
  20. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The blistering on the heal may be more to do with the boot size? The sock can only make up for so much in sizing....

Some people with a wide foot go for a bigger size (eg me) - but that gets length as well as breath meaning the heal moves around ... try a shoe liner eg oder eaters - but only use the heal part. Makes for a tighter fit on the heal.