Aprilia Pegaso Riders

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klpegaso, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    I installed MSR ATV-bend (low version) bars and MSR handguards (I think they are the dominator model) with the large deflectors. At full lock there is about 40 mm clearance, no worries.
  2. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Mounted the Hepco Becker rear luggage racks. They needed some garage engineering to fit. Had to bend a couple of the mounts, they were as much as ~10mm off. May only use these as crash protection and to keep soft luggage off the bodywork and exhaust, but might experiment with hard luggage one day...

[​IMG]
  3. WTFMATE

WTFMATE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love that colour Skowinski :evil
  4. STisma

STisma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I didn't know better I'd say that is a 2010 or 2011 model year. :wink:
    Aprilia for sure was way ahead of the time with the Pegaso design.

It took me a good couple of days to properly align/adjust the HB side racks
    and they still looked skewed with the metal panniers mounted. :eek1
  5. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    I think it's a beautiful bike, but in 2000 I guess the adventure style just hadn't arrived. If they sold them today I bet they'd fly out the doors of the dealers a lot faster.

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with the HB racks, considering how much they cost they should fit perfectly... mine still need some tweaking also.
  6. WTFMATE

WTFMATE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have now fitted the 2007 dakar shock to my pegaso, seems to work much better than the original :)
  7. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Cool. I've been thinking about a shock upgrade. Is the Dakar shock and the stock Pegaso shock the same length? Any modifications needed?

Just got a text from a friend who has a friend who works for Arrow - on a new pair of Arrow dual slip on mufflers. :tb

Trying to decide if it's worth the ~$650 and if I really need the damn things anyway. :lol2
  8. STisma

STisma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering of the engine temp of your Peg running in the Nevada "climate", being that the Peg's have very small operating temp range before the fan kicks in.
    I'm imagining that poor engine fan working hard!?!?
  9. STisma

STisma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $650 for a set of Arrows?!?!?!? :clap
    Do you really need it? YES :evil
  10. '74Stratos

'74Stratos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Better yet, if the stock shock fits, then so does this double clicker Ohlins for the '00 - '07 Dakar...

[​IMG]
  11. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Cruising at about 60 mph, temperatures in the 90-100F range, the coolant temperature needle sits between 65-70C. Stop and go traffic, up around 80C. The fan kicks on at about 90C, but that doesn't happen too often. I've also not sat in a traffic jam for an hour! :lol3
  12. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    If I listened to you two I'd blow $2k on this bike before the week is over! :rofl

Very tempted on the Arrows though... (edit: just a little concerned about how loud they are, was told they are straight through exhausts, no "quiet" baffle inserts, anyone have experience with them?)
  13. WTFMATE

WTFMATE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dakar shock is dimensionally identical. The shock body bolts right in, however a mount needs to be made for the preload adjuster (there are threads already tapped in the left side frame rail to take the optional aprilia sachs shock) and the remote reservoir needs to be mounted, which I put above the countershaft sprocket.

It was a bit of trial and error getting the hoses and mounts right. There is not much room to work with there at all. Same deal you would have to do with the ohlins shock.

The dakar shock is actually a good quality shock, not sure why the BMW guys always whinge about it. I bet the biggest improvement comes from a heavier spring which the ohlins may come with?

The showa is a fully rebuildable shock and can be revalved using standard shims used in most MX bikes. I just used some old YZ250 shims to re valve it.
  14. WTFMATE

WTFMATE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also just fitted a new water pump using the F650 kit from motowerks. Fit perfectly.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Don't we all?!
  16. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    I blame it on you enablers here. Just ordered one of what was said to be the last two sets of new Arrow exhausts for the Pegaso sitting in the factory/warehouse in Italy.

Delivery sometime next week!:happay
  17. sensei

sensei ..........

Oddometer:
    Just bought this 2000 pegaso 15,000mi. new, tires, front and rear sprockets, chain, fluids, and brakes.
    I love it!!! only thing is, there is something wrong with the temp. guage and needs a new valve cover gasket.
    [​IMG]
  18. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I like mine.
    On another note, Any of you Pegaso riders tried an Aprilia Mana? I'm thinking of adding a bit bigger bike for long trips.
  19. STisma

STisma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super nice!!!
    Look for the temp. sender on the RH side near the radiator....it has one wire only. It's a known culprit for a "non-working" bad temp.reading. (one with two wires is for the engine fan)
    Once you see the connector you will know what to do.
  20. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Very nice sensei. :beer

If you have to replace the valve cover gasket, then what a great opportunity to check and know your valve clearances are ok. Do you have a copy of the service manual?