DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Custom Rewind in Birmingham? They did a couple stators for my Triumph Tiger (one for the bike and a spare for traveling) a few years ago. Great work and customer service.

http://www.customrewind.com/
  2. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    i love that
  3. Bonerov

Bonerov Damned dirty ape

Oddometer:

Seriously? Wow, I grew up there, and things used to be VERY different. Case in point: I had an RGV250 (Suzuki 2-stroke GP bike). We slapped lights, signals, etc on it, took it down, got it plated. Same day. I also got my RM-80 plated the same way. Of course, this was in the late 80s/early 90s.

I see you're in Las Cruces. I went to NMSU. GO AGGIES! :freaky
  4. Pigeon

Pigeon because white owl was taken

Oddometer:
    is the dr350 headlight the same as the dr650? i am wondering if the pro cycle hid kit plugs in to our bikes.
  5. ctjohnson

ctjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Got a question to make sure I'm on the right track. My buddy just bought a 1995 DR just like mine and it has ran flawlessly for over a month. The other day he rode it home and went to start it about an hour later and nothing. It will just chug and chug but not start. Since it chugs I knew it wasn't the sidestand switch, clutch switch, etc. I traded out petcocks to a Raptor 660 one just to make sure fuel wasn't the problem and it's getting fuel for sure.

I believe I have traced the problem to an intermittent spark issue. With the plug removed and grounded I'll get like 3 sparks when pressing the e-start button and then nothing. Sometimes it will spark for 10 seconds and other times no spark at all. This took a while to determine because the first few tests I was getting spark and was really confused. The shop manual says that for poor or no spark it should be the plug, coil, CDI, or magneto.

So now I have him getting a new resister cover(spark plug boot) and ignition coil (comes with attached spark plug wire) because that's the cheapest fixes to start off with. I am not very good with a multimeter tester and in general hate electric problems so I wanted opinions to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks. (oh ya, I am using a new plug and have tried 2 different ones to rule out a faulty one, compression is good, and I have looked over the whole bike for cracked or frayed wires)
  6. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    dr350 headlight is rectangular shaped
    dr650 headlight is trapezoid shaped
  7. jeep8

jeep8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep, custom rewind in birmingham, Alabama USA is also the company that did mine.. But the OP person is in south africa, so birmingham alabama is probably not feasible.
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Though the headlight reflector looks different they both use a H4 bulb. I am sure the DR650 bulb would work fine in the DR350. You ususualy order the HID based on what type of bulb not the vehicle.
  9. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    No experiance, but it seems like you should get a new/used one rather than have yours rewound. You could have damaged more than just the windings.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dr350+stator&_sacat=0&_from=R40
  10. ctjohnson

ctjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update: Removed the ignition coil to check resistance and everything is in spec. Primary(terminal-ground) is .8 and Secondary (terminal-plug cap) is at 16.5K. Luckily he did not buy the ignition coil yet.

Now I am guessing magneto......in the shop manual the first step for testing is to disconnect the pickup coil and power source lead coil wires of the magneto. Where would those be located? I assume I need to remove the left side cover where the magneto is but the diagram in the shop manual is kind of not clear. Please excuse the noob questions, I have only replaced a stator one other time (yamaha yz)
  11. Alli

Alli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jeep8 • Today 06:10 AM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stretch67
    Custom Rewind in Birmingham? They did a couple stators for my Triumph Tiger (one for the bike and a spare for traveling) a few years ago. Great work and customer service.

http://www.customrewind.com/
    yep, custom rewind in birmingham, Alabama USA is also the company that did mine.. But the OP person is in south africa, so birmingham alabama is probably not feasible.

:thumb

Correct jeep8 , slight problem of a small lake between us called atlantic.:D

But thanks anyway for the advice. I did consider that option but agree with Mrpulldown.(Thanks for the eBay link)

Long story short, the PO(s) did a complete back yard job on the electrics, chinese bike CDI,reg/rec, and hacked up the wiring harness in order to make it work.
    I've replaced it all, but only just got the engine back from the machinist,(rebuilt the head), and while putting it all together I noticed that the wires coming out of the stator cover did not match the plugs.
    Undid the tape and saw they had cut some off, further checking revealed cuts and frayed wires on most of the wires.

Took off the stator cover and found a piece of broken spring lodged in-between the magnet and the windings, and some damage.

I suspect that the original problem started there, and led to the CDI and rectifier blowing.

I would rather not take a chance with rewiring my old one. DR350's are rare in South Africa and I don't want to have to import another CDI or rectifier.

So I might as well get a new one and hopefully a few extra watts.

I'm not familiar with the different aftermarket stator suppliers, so was wondering what the general consensus was on what to get or avoid.

Is there a difference between Ricks stators and rickistator?

What was inside the stator, the piece of spring that caused the damage and fragments from the coil.

[​IMG]

Damaged windings
    [​IMG]

More
    [​IMG]

Here you can see where the epoxy has been damaged as well as the windings
    [​IMG]

And here, more of the same
    [​IMG]

Some scoring on the back(don't think it's a problem though.
    [​IMG]

Lots of nicks and cuts on the wiring
    [​IMG]
  12. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check that you have a good battery - I had similar symptoms earlier this year and tried everything....finally put a new battery in and everything was fine.

Also, even an intermittent spark should produce a pop once in a while. Are you sure you're getting fuel? Is the plug wet when you remove it? Try dumping a bit of raw gas in the cylinder, button everything up again, and try....if you get a pop or two you are getting spark and fuel.
  13. ctjohnson

ctjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark,
    Thanks for the reply. I put the battery from my bike in it and no change.

Also sprayed some starting fluid in there (which I hate doing) and got nothing so I am sure spark is the problem.

It has started (for like 1 second a few times) with the intermittent spark.

Hopefully I can figure things out :confused:
  14. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    http://www.rickystator.com/ I've read that " Ricky" died and his wife is running it. No personal experience but have read good reviews here.

Baja Designs also http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=stator

Or late model stock SE stator and cover.
  15. Prest

Prest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so noone know what max output voltage for the dr350 stator is im just trying to make sure im not going to fry the new rectifire when i put it on my stator is makeing around 30v at idle and up to 90 when reved also the bike is doing somthing odd when i lean it to my left it revs higher when i lean it to my right it bogs down
  16. FlyingWman

FlyingWman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I can find in the manual
    http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/dr350_manuals/workshop_manual_dr350.pdf:
    "Lighting coil output check; more than 75V (AC) at 5 000 r/min"
    "Magneto coil resistance; Pickup coil=180-270ohm ; Power source coil=250-370ohm

Is there gas in your gas tank?
  17. Prest

Prest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes gas tank is full

i dont have a tac so hard for me to know what 5k rpm is

its a 93 dr350s
  18. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Crenshaw

Crenshaw Bum

Oddometer:
    Does this look right? Plug is slightly dark, looks ok really, but has white-ish deposits stuck on the surface. Lean?

I'll admit this plug was ran before top end was rebuilt and it was burning oil. For some reason i never replaced it. No oil consumption now but I'm worried its running lean.

Sorry about the crummy iPad photos, I'll see if I can get some better ones this afternoon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Alli

Alli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dunno if this helps or will add to the confusion----- elektrickery not my strong point.:D

[​IMG]