Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #976
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,705
Hey Spencer....wondering if you could post some pics of your seat attachment hardware from HPN. thx!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #977
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post
Took my g/s with 4860's out to some trails today. Front end was great, looks like the spring rate and valving turned out to be just the trick. In the rough stuff I used all but about .75" of travel... Observed by adding a tie wrap to the fork.
AW's fork will be fine on rough stuff too I guess. Its the "almost" smooth roads with a few small bumps that will be a problem.
If the fork keeps moving they will feel smooth and are great. But to get the fork moving on a really small bump takes too much force which causes the discomfort.

I tried my WP48 without the shims on the pistons just to feel if that would solve the problem but it didn't.
In Mongolia i have been riding trough deserts covered with 15cm big rocks with 80 km/h which felt like a new smooth tarmac highway with the same sticky forks.
Its not only the wp forks that have the stiction problems but 80% of the modern bikes have those issues.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #978
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hey Spencer....wondering if you could post some pics of your seat attachment hardware from HPN. thx!
Here you go:

It just so happens that I have an extra pair of the mounts that I plan to put on another saddle (someday), but in the meantime I'd be happy to mail them to you to copy if you want. Not seen here is the backing plate I assume they put on the inside of the seat pan. I assume this due to the two rivets on the outside of the pan on either side of the mounts.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #979
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
I like those mounts for several cafe racer's I'm building. What a great solution to a custom application. Would you care to take another picture with a tape measure next to it so I can get an idea of the size? I can copy them once I see the dimensions without holding them in my hands. The rubber cushion at the base and the ball and socket link are stock items but the lever is a custom part.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #980
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,560
Brilliant!

Re: size: they look like the standard size that we use for shifters etc. Obviously without using that tiny little wire "safety clip" that keeps the ball from popping inadvertently.

Used on lots of cars and anything with those gas-assist springs, as well... shouldn't be hard to source something appropriate?

Found this page at McMaster-Carr with lotsa goodies....

bpeckm screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 11:06 AM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #981
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Pretty sure that HPN uses the actual BMW shift linkage parts. Along with the rubber battery box mount.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #982
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Brilliant!

Re: size: they look like the standard size that we use for shifters etc. Obviously without using that tiny little wire "safety clip" that keeps the ball from popping inadvertently.

Used on lots of cars and anything with those gas-assist springs, as well... shouldn't be hard to source something appropriate?

Found this page at McMaster-Carr with lotsa goodies....

Crap, I forgot all about these, I have a bag full of them somewhere in my shop...

Thanks again for the pictures worth a thousand...

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #983
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,705
Thanks Spencer! The ball joints are easy to source, but not so much for the other bits. Certainly HPN makes the steel "hook" portion.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #984
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
Would you care to take another picture with a tape measure next to it so I can get an idea of the size?
What if I told you 2 13/16" off the pan to the top of the latch?

Also, contrary to what I may have said in the past, the ball joints are NOT the stock bmw shift linkage parts. There's no hole for the little retainer pin. I haven't bothered measuring the ball joints, but they look a little bigger than the ones used on the shift linkage.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote