Border to Border Coast range challenge

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by TrasktoDakar, Oct 23, 2006.

1. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trask,
    I've pulled togehter some of my maps and got a buddy with detailed tribal trail knowledge of Flat Mtn area (S of Marys Peak) to sign up too. Can make a starbucky's rondevoo wit him on a Sat or Sunday.
  2. TrasktoDakar

TrasktoDakar Gone to the dark side/KTM

Oddometer:
    Whats this sunday look like?
  3. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    from here,,looks like rain, and great riding possibilities with no dust, and no dang bugs! What're you thinkin?? got GF duty tomorrow for a spell, then "free, white, and 21" (I'll add, "able to ride") So,,,,,,everybody within distance, ride to the coast range and meet at Mary's Peak?? or what did you have cookin in your Blackened KTM mind there, traskmaster? I'm up!
  4. TrasktoDakar

TrasktoDakar Gone to the dark side/KTM

Oddometer:
    HellsAlien wanted to have a map gathering. I have my 950 sidelined for a water pump rebuild. My 450 is ready but im less excited to go that far south in this crappy weather. I know, I'm a puss. How many miles have you put on that BMW this year peterman? I thought I was doing good with 14,000 since March but I bet you have that doubled.
  5. peterman

Oddometer:
    customers have been keeping me in the shop of late, cuts into my riding time. We are currently 27,187mi. and 510 days old, for an average of 53.some miles per day, sucks to see the numbers fall off like that. Got chores this morning, then off in search of mud while I still have some knob remnants on the rear.:lol3 ,,ride smart! :1drink ptrmn
  6. HellsAlien

Oddometer:
    Plan is to meet up tomorrow, 9 AM, Sunday, Nov 12 at Roses restauraunt in Sherwood, OR, south side hwy in commercial area.
    Bring maps, markers & trade info. First pass at consolidating what we know.
  7. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    I just heard about this, Great Idea Guys. Sorry I missed the meeting, but count me in. We've got you covered from Newport to Reedsport, Hwy 20 to Hwy 38. The area around Coos Bay will be the key. There are lots of roads, but mostly private. I've got some contacts around Jackson/Medford that may contribute the south end.

Do you have a format for us to submit routes? I'd prefer a text based turn-by-turn that's easy to share. Maybe throw a few GPS coordinates in when needed.

I've found the Nat Forest Maps to be fairly accurate and current and just detailed enough. The Siuslaw NF map is the best one in this area. Of course the Oregon Benchmark is good.

I'd like to see a main route that is gravel two track with options for longer or more difficult trails. Also, it would be great if there was gas/food/motel every 150 miles or so. I don't want to do this with camping gear.
  8. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    My kind of camper. :thumb
  9. peterman

Oddometer:
    well riders,,today was just too nice to be stuck in a metal cave of a machine shop, so I gave myself the day off to ride. I stopped into the FS District office in Florence for district fire maps. The big $4 maps they have are going quick, and when they are gone that will be the end of them. All maps in future will be the "blueprint" variety, with much less close detail info, no topo,and being of the blueprint variety are susceptible to fading. They are a buck cheaper at $3, but the folks at the district told me they are fazing out the black and white maps, so,,if you want good detailed maps of a given Forest service area, get em while you still can. I also stopped in at Waldport dist. office, and the only ones they have are blue. I got Siuslaw Nat. forest (Mapleton district) north and south, and Waldport dist. which are east and west. These are still good maps, and a great source to augment the Oregon benchmark map booklet.
    By the way, the main forest service office that was in the Federal building in Eugene, and where one could obtain ALL the maps for ALL the districts, is now closed. Wanna guess why? I was told," Too many protesters!":huh (and they don't want us riding in "their" woods),,ptrmn
  10. LAPTRAFFIC

LAPTRAFFIC RIP, Wes...

Oddometer:
    YES.. Please don't ride your GS in MY woods.:lol3
  11. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz

Oddometer:
    I can't help much with the groundwork, but I've been studying my Gazetteer of Oregon & highlighting connecting routes. From the looks of the map, there are lots of possibilites from CA N to Florence or so. Haven't been able to find much road info on the USFS site, but I'll keep digging.

Hey RR, can I park my truck at Fort Wayne for a few days?

:evil
  12. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, as long as you help me map out the northern section, the Columbia River to Hwy 26 and or Hwy 6 :deal
  13. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a good friend in the s. astoria area, DRZ400, he said he can get you astoria-newport . let me know next time you meet, I'll let him know. sounds like several of you know this area, but multiple route arent a bad thing.

a route going north on the Oly penisula wouldnt be bad either. there is a ferry ( kathlama correct?) thats central, hhmmm anyone up on the oly pen routes.?
  14. HellsAlien

Oddometer:
    OK Highway, thanks for the input on Astoria southbound.
    Near-term the snow level is dropping to below 1000 feet this week, so it could be a while before we ride this route thru.
  15. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
  16. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So when is this ride supposed to be? I live in Gold Beach and know the FS roads pretty well on the southern end of OR. Some through roads are closed in winter, so the "when" will determine the available routes.
  17. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    a few years back I did some enduro rides around cresent city, OR/CA border, it ran through timber land, which the host club rec'd permission , some big MO-FO trees there, buggered my shoulder but worth it. some stunning scenery, many trails arent run in the winter, as they are quite steep . I dont remember the club hosting it, but those guys might be of help, probably not able to ride the timber co land but maybe near it. the ride HQ was a BBQ roadhouse, sleaz motel, good ribs, perfect:1drink
  18. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to meet your friend in Astoria sometime, Hammond is my second home, I usually ride by myself around there....................unless I can get FatToney to head down from Westport.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Ferry from Puget Island to Westport Oregon is a short but fun ride.
  19. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    There are some interesting possibilities between Elsie (on hwy 26) and Lee's Camp (Wilson River). Lee's camp has gas/store/camping or did a ways back. I think the store was for sale though, so that might have changed. Elsie has That big "Camp 18" restaurant and also Oney's where we always stopped when I was a kid. Don't know about gas there.

Great project you got goin' here.
  20. MortimerSickle

Oddometer:
    Lee's Camp no longer has gas.