Best In The Desert 2010

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, Nov 10, 2009.

1. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    It will be probably the same as the List and 2 riders every min for Pro, Open and then 30 seconds after that...Hell once we get in the tight stuff you will be gone on that Mtn Bike...but we will have 25-40 guys trying to chase us!! My Sxc keeps me kinda slow especially whoops.. but im 45 and expect to ride 30 more years (probably the same bike) so slow is fast for me... I wont meteor shower you.... me and my buddy usually ride within feet apart so we dont get dusted out.. That happened to me by some quad riders...just as passing they wouldnt wait 5 ft and then throttle the shit out if it ... I think I passed at least 5 of 7 of em broken... cant finish if you break... or eat rocks
  2. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    The Bilek Racing Silver State "300" is approaching. We are working on getting the mailing out, our target date is 1st week of March, than that will give you some more information. We write race to race here, we are still working on our Laughlin MC race and the NV 200, a TrailRide, so we're getting there. Here's some info that might hold you over:
    The Host Hotel is the Aliante Station in North Las Vegas, very close to hop on the I-15 N towards Alamo/Caliente. There is about a 70-80 mile transfer section to the start line. The start line is in Alamo near the Alamo Truck Stop, US-93. The race is a one 300-mile loop, which ends approximately 20 miles south of Alamo. There will be 6 pit stops, it's a chase race. Then we will transfer back to Las Vegas to the Aliante Station for the Awards on Sunday. If you follow our Hotel Guide this will help you know where to be when. Good luck, it's a really fun race and great course!

pdf for entry form.... http://www.bitd.com/images/stories/pdfs/ss300/2010%20SS300%20MQ%20Entry%20Forms.pdf

yea... a full race...... you Rallye trainees might want to try this.. nice long transits if wanted!! test your mettle on a full days stage plus no real navagation.. and you get the bonus of racing with trophy trucks!!!

Main Entry: met·tle
    Pronunciation: \&#712;me-t<SUP itxtvisited="1">&#601;</SUP>l\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: alteration of metal
    Date: 1581
    1 a : vigor and strength of spirit or temperament b : staying quality : stamina <EQUIPMENT that proved its mettle>

2 : quality of temperament or disposition <GENTLEMEN mettle Shakespeare< of brave p &#8212;>

Lets have a huge turnout of the ADV rallye contengent...
  3. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    With the last week of rain I found myself making this...

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9785529&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9785529&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/9785529">first cut</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3272614">Michael Gaynor</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Thanks to Brent for the helmet cam video
    Input ??? Its my first video so be nice...
  4. Lord Quas

Lord Quas Dudely Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Lord Quas

Oddometer:
    barrels this morning in La Jolla...

Well, changed the oils and the air filter. Most of the pre-race checks are done, what's next?

What tire pressures ya'll gonna run for it? I'm on a 450 exc...
  6. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    shores,windansea or blacks????

I ride a 625 and run em higher than most 450 riders at 18r 12-15frt but I dont like pinchers.. Id say 12-9 or higher

look what spring looks like at 3,500 ft near yosmite tonight...

[​IMG]

30 degrees

[​IMG]

Prepping in the snow....

[​IMG]

can we get some spring around here??

be done tommorow... im over the cold garage
  7. Lord Quas

Oddometer:
    Bird rock. About head high, but there were a few sneaker sets. Blacks would have been a little out of control. Today is freezing onshores.
  8. Zak Smith

Zak Smith *

Oddometer:
    The Laughlin race is done! I did ironman which meant two 37-mile laps. Great course! Compared to RMEC enduros, the terrain was more open and the speeds were faster-- but we still got our share of hills and rocks. My 250 XCW with 13-50 gearing worked great- I could have left it at 13-52 and been fine too.

Awards are in about an hour and a half, and I curious to see where I ended up. I know I passed a few people in there.

I got pretty much the whole race on the helmet-cam. I should have a race report with video done later this week.
  9. Lord Quas

Oddometer:
    Nice one with the video cam. Yeah I had a great time too, though I only managed to complete 1 full lap before being complete toast. I ate something weird last night and ended up getting about two hours of sleep. My stomach felt fine in the morning, but i was completely knackered. By mile 25 I was making some scary mistakes so I decided to quit. Sucks cause the course was so fun... oh well unfinished business I suppose, that will ensure I come back next year.

Some of those turns catch ya off guard if you're not looking ahead, I went over the handle bars once trying to brake in deep sand. There were a few sharp turns where if you overshot it, you'd go right off the side of a steep hill!
  10. azduster

azduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your food crud, I had a similar experiance last year after eating at the buffet at the River Palms the night before. Right after starting the race I had cold sweats and was burping up chunks of !~@#$%^&, made for a miserable 4 hours. This year my girlfriend has been bringing pre race food from home to all the races:thumbup. Glad you made it out safe.
    PS. Leonard finished 2nd, myself 4th, and AL ran out of gas with 1 mile to go, walked backed to the pit got gas and still finished 20th.
    What a great course!!! lots of yeehaa moments and Oh !@#$ moments.
  11. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    back home but I didnt make the awards and find out how I finished.. KNARLY.... especially on a 625cc, 350 pound, over geared rally bike. Glad Ive had some practice up here on decomposed granite.. wish I had a 250 on this one but will race the whole series on my piggy.. I dont think I ever used 3rd or 4th and that was only on the short road sections. I think I now have some of the best blisters ever and even managed to do it under my caluses... 2 down 4 to go... Now to something more manageable for my bike the SS 300 and tracks that trucks and buggies fit on!!
  12. Lord Quas

Oddometer:

That was it! The buffet! I ate there and felt really weird afterward, like a mix of light food poisoning and something like there was caffeine in the food, which wouldn't surprise me. The combo meant no sleep for Lord Qwaso.
  13. azduster

azduster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer, I was going to ask if you wanted to have dinner with us in the hotel parking lot ( tailgate style) chicken broccoli and pasta with a light olive oil garlic sauce yum yum. Next year!
  14. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    Nobody got a copy or photo of the results??
  15. commander51

commander51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the awards to see the results, and was disapointed with my ride, I finished 22nd over all in the ironman catagory, what a tough course, I have never made so many turns in one race in my life, just no where but the begining and end to really open it up. After a spectacular crash 3 min. into the race where I cartwheeled through the brush, It took me till about the end of lap 1 to wake up and get back in to the race groove, by then it was to late. It was definetly a good time and I will do it again.
  16. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    bad finish a 47th out of 58.. but a finish on the 625 none the less.. and points..

Binders on captain..

[​IMG]

Man Im glad I ride in decomposed granite and steep hillsides.. that was tough.. Next up, SILVER STATE 300! 2 down 4 to go..
  17. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap I heard it was a fun one, sorry I missed it.
  18. commander51

commander51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you know what outfits where the ones takin the pics out on the course. If you had a web site or something that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  19. wrk2surf

Oddometer:
    I got this from a cool volunteer that just takes shots while mindin the check .... he posts em here.. http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/index.php look in the bike section

he also shoots videos...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bobylax ...

the pros and expert teams
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQG2GaPzF2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jQG2GaPzF2Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

also you could try emailing Diane at BITD and asking who were the pros taking shots and if you find out please post it here..
  20. Lord Quas

Oddometer:
    So looking ahead to the Silver State 300. What are the options in terms of help in the pits? Having my own chase vehicle is out of the question...

$400 is a little steep, jesus.