CJ Designs CJDL-650-R

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by cjracer, Aug 19, 2013.

1. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Hi V-strom riders.

I'm newish to this bike, but not to Adventure riding. I've always thought the V-strom platform could be a great bike to offer a nice DS Bike with a few mods. This last winter a local rider/ bike owner and I put some thought into it and decided to give it a go.

Seeing as how there is such a limited amount of 650cc DS bike built to handle luggage and offer easy servicing and long life.

I've been working on a BOLT ON kit over the winter to upgrade the V-strom to 21" front, 17" or 18" rear spoked wheel setup. Up the suspension travel to 10" and drop some weight from the bike. Un hindered turning radius for tight trails.

We've put about 800 miles on it so far and plan to head to CO for a real world torture test end of Aug. We've testing it on Feeway, backroads, ATV trails and 2 -track. I am amazed that it turned out to be such a versatile bike and it works great on the trail. This will be shown at the CJD Steamboat Campground rally Sept 11/12 at the campgound also if anyone wants to check it out and give your input. This is the working prototype at this moment, with a FULL Strength BASH plate in the works this week. Future REKLUSE auto Clutch testing is in the works too.

If you love your V-strom, but always wanted a little more, this could be it.

Trail trim spec with out rear ruggage rack and panniers was 425 lbs, 1 gallon of fuel. I'm very happy with that as most of the weight came off the front end to make the bike work better in the rough stuff.

We made a custom rear shock, triple clamps and few other parts to make this a BOLT ON kit. I plan to do another built up this Fall, once we return from CO trip. If there is enough interest I'd like to offer a KIT options to release next spring, but at this time it's all in testing.

What do you guys think so far?

Pic from Central ADV Rider Rally 2013. Attendees got a chance to check it out and it went over very well. :freaky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got more pics from our test ride I need to process and post..... more to come as we finish up all the little details. :wink:

:ear
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  3. TimCC

TimCC Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like what you've done with the strom. Thanks for bringing it to the rally. It was nice to throw a leg over it. Do you have plans for radiator protection?
  4. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is an amazing build and I think I can say that having had a chance to ride it on some trails a few weeks back. It really has turned the DL into an off road capable machine. An interested DL650 owner stopped over while I was there so I grabbed this shot for comparison.

Matthew

[​IMG]
  5. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Awesome. This is what the Wee-Strom should have been from the start.

--mark
  6. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    That's the great thing about most of these Street/style Dual Sport bikes. Most of the components are very similar in size and location. I plan to test the Strom a bit longer and if it works out and I can sell some kits. I have been and will keep looking at other bikes. I can make triple clamps to fit other bikes with only a few changes to the CAD drawing.

I've already got a few NX700 riders requesting upgrade kits too. Not sure I've seen a 500x yet at our local dealer. Are those in the states?

What ever bike I take on I would need a local bike owner willing to work it out with as I can't afford to buy several newish bikes right now.

That 500x does look like an awesome build. :wink:
  7. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim,

Yes, a radiator guard is planned to be produced in the future to help roost protection, but there will be much less of that now as this bike is ready to do it's own roosting. :evil

There are several small details I'm working out to finish is off before CO, but this bike has already been crash tested and no damage happened b/c of the engine gaurds installed. I think it would have been a huge damage bill is the stock fairing would have still been installed.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    those 500Xs are just showing up at dealers.
    http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb500x.aspx

9. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Any HP specs given on this 500X yet?

I hope to be able to get the V-strom on the Dyno so we can get some graphs in the next month or so.
  10. mdfehrmann

Oddometer:
    Too Cool :clap
    [​IMG]
  11. desmo916sp

desmo916sp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, i know it says custom Triple clamp ...? SO, what size are the forks ..? and how many mm of offset do they have ..? PLEASE say 50mm forks and 30mm offset .. if so .. I AM IN..
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  12. mdfehrmann

Oddometer:
    More fun in the woods!

[​IMG]
  13. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    Is this the 650, or the 950? Will your kit fit either bike? I think you have crreated the almost perfect adventure bike. You've done what I've been thinking about for years. Please hurry with a kit price, what's involved, etc. I have a set of DRZ 400 forks, and a set of 99 YZ USD forks. Do you know if I could save myself some bucks by using either of those with your kit? I also have the front wheels from both bikes. What shock mods have you done? I have several rear shocks as well.

Fantastic pics and concept. Details!
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    More info coming soon. Working on a REAL skidplate/ centrerstand kit this weekend.

This is a 650 shown, but I think that all the parts will work on a 1000 also. Need a 1000 to try it out.

NEW custom rear shock is part of the kit with 3 build options depending on price.

These are the DR400 forks but I could make them fit the 50mm WPs also.

This build has many options and I am working through them as fast as I can. Trust. We leave in about 7 days for a 4,000 mile ride. :freaky
  15. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike is nuts! :D

It won't just handle luggage. It'll handle a passenger comfortably too.

Why can't the big-name mfrs' development pros figure out that an adv bike should probably be kept dirt-capable at well under 500lb curb? That it should have adjustable long-travel suspension and be able to take knobby tires? That it should be able to haul a passenger as more than just an afterthought?

Why can WE all figure this out, but the big names can't?
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    :wave Craig

:lurk
  17. Linhares

Linhares OSM addicted

Oddometer:
    Nice work! :clap

What is the new seat height?
  18. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:

Hi Ted, Hope all is well. :freaky
  19. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    thanks, it's still a work in progress, but it just keeps gettng better.

Did not have time to finalize the Skidplate build over the weekend and with us planning to to leave for CO on Sat. time is running out, so not sure if this will happen or not.

The max height with OEM stock seat height wih bik unloaded is going to be about 36-37" with 21/18" wheel combo and about 10" suspension travel.

This can be shortened of course with tire changes and suspension mods to meet the riders needs. There is only one way to get more suspension travel and ground clearance. Go up.

I'm 6'4" and can sit on it flat footed and knees slightly bent. It has about 3" of sag set up on it right now and it feels like a nice Dual Sport bike setup for road and trails.
  20. desmo916sp

desmo916sp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you using stock DRZ400 Triple Trees with stock off set or a differant offset? whats the Offset for the triple clamps you used and the fork seperation ?