ARRGGHHHHHH not another which one will work thread....

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by SCExpat, Apr 2, 2014.

1. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    So I have been lurking and searching and once was lost but then found. Searched and researched some more and now I am just as lost as before. :cry

I want a simple GPS that I can make tracks in Google Earth and load into the GPS.
    I want to record my tracks and save some waypoints.
    I want to be able to download tracks from the web and friends.

Most of the use will be making a track in Google Earth and then trying to follow it. :D

I want this for exploring dirt roads and 2 track, maybe a bit of single track but not much. I will only be riding around south west Idaho, north east Oregon. so WTF do I need a world map for?????????

Thats it!!!! Oh yea....I am a thrifty, cheap bastard and want this for under $200. But I would rather spend a little more $$ to get something that will last for years and not need to be replaced due to breakage. Not woried about technology advances.

I have so far narrowed my options to.....in no particular order.

Garmin Oregon 450
    Garmin eTrex 10/20?
    Magellan eXplorist 110/310/510?

I kind of like the Magellan but they seem to be less than popular here. This deal is really tempting: http://magellan.factoryoutletstore.com/details/52013/magellan-explorist510.html?category_id=25539

Any reason to avoid the Magellan unit and go with a Garmin?

TIA
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost any Garmin Hand Held will do what you want. Do you want tuch screen or buttons? Most dirt people like buttons, they wipe the screen every few minutes. I put on rides for 25-100 riders, never remember ever seeing a Magellan, think it is just coincidence?.
  3. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I had not considered the touch screen vs. buttons. Seems like buttons is the way to go. So that leads me to the Garmin GPSMAP 78. Seems like some like it and some don't. The more I know the less I know what I should get. :norton
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be first choice unless you can still find a 76Cx for under $200. I still use 2 of them and don't use my new 78 very often. Just like 76 better for Tracks.
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    So cut me a deal on the 78 :deal Just remember I am a cheap bastard. :evil

Thanks. In Canada....but they are willing to ship. Then I would need to get the power cord.
  7. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    No problem. I'd send it to wherever you want to pay for. But the gps would cost you less than $200 since my price is in Canadian funds.

Power cable's $12.95 from GPSCity.

[​IMG]
  8. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Thanks but, I'll pass. I can get a new 78 with a warranty for less. As I have never used a 76 before the change/difference in how they operate will not be noticed by this noob. :D
  9. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    No problem. The 78 really is better, imho.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.