XR650L tranny swap 2nd, 5th gear Group Buy

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by beechum1, Jan 4, 2011.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry if the title was misleading first of all, this is for the XR650L transmission 2nd and 5th gear swap out Group Buy from Engu-land. Not dudes with boobs.

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda USA ~40$

2nd 23421-MN9-010 available Honda EU ~80$

5th 23491-MW2-780 available Honda EU ~170$

I have an email into David Silver for group buy, 5 and 10 pcs, shipping cost and lead time. Ghost Mutant & Barron - If you come across a cheaper place post up. I propose we move the purchase back. There are a few of us that aren't in a hurry to split the cases, BUT, with the lead times, we shan't hesitate. Perhaps March sometime? 280 bones is good chunk for me, maybe to others as well. especially with the other repairs and part i need to build this thing up like I want to. we can figure out the ship to, and handling the distribution later.

Interested:

beechum1
    Ben99r1
    tjrockit
    Ghost Mutant
    therealbigman
    Bbasso
    mendoteach
    rufus

update 07 Jan 2011 : Hello, Thank you for your email. As we do not stock these gears we would have to order them from Honda Europe @111.36GBP (173.27USD) each. They have only 1 in stock and the eta for the other ones if you ordered immediately would be aprox 11th March to us. Shipping for 5 would be 32.00GBP (50USD)
  2. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am surprised it cost so much. But if you help me install the gears am in? Ben
  3. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    Please put me on the list. I'll commit once I know the price and happy to pay in whatever way is easiest for you.
  4. beechum1

Oddometer:
    let me tear apart my bottom end first, then i can commit to tearing someone elses down... :evil
  5. Ghost_Mutant

Ghost_Mutant looking for bionics

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm interested. I'd also like to see a group buy organized to convince Revloc to make a dyna ring for these Hondas as well:D Get enough guys together for that and I think the Revloc folks would bite.

Flatfender reported that it only took a week once he made the order from David Silver Spares in England for his FMX/NX gears.

However, I'm not interested in shipping speed. I'd much rather save some money on this gear order, so I second the idea of moving the purchase date back a bit to do a more complete search for a cheaper source. I have two Honda XRs that I'd like to do this gear mod on, so the cheaper the better for me.

If we don't get a decent quantity price break for the group buy, then I'm not convinced we are saving that much money by shipping the parts twice (once from England to the group shipping address, and second from there to each participant).

I have spent some time in google's advanced search to limit my results to certain regions of the world. So far I've got no leads for a Honda parts supplier willing to ship international. But I've only scratched the surface so far. Please help in this search effort if you can.
  6. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    I agree with the price thang, I'm in no rush myself, but yes , put me down for a set, or at least the 2nd gear, as I don't care about doing 100 mph on this bike. :lol3
  7. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

Did I miss something????........I don't see a price listed.-------- How much are the gears?
  8. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested... but what is the benefit of the the 5th gear?
  9. Ghost_Mutant

Oddometer:
    Flatfender said this about his gears in the XRL owners sign in thread:
    That was one year ago. I'm trying to find a different Honda Parts supplier somewhere that can beat this, but I may be barking up the wrong tree.
  10. Ghost_Mutant

Oddometer:
    I would like to hear Flatfender comment on his gear swap and tell us if it was truly worth it.

My interest is in making the tranny gear spacing wider overall. Then changing sprockets to make the highway manageable (RPM wise). Hope that this results in a 1st gear still low enough for tough single track work. If not, then it would be cool to add a DynaRing into the mix to make going slow easy.

If you read this thread (Five speed vs. six speed) you can compare tranny spacing between dual sports:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742

Changing the 5th gear will move the XRL gear spacing from 3.18 to 3.3 or so (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

I have an older XR, so I actually have to swap 3 gears, 1st, 2nd, and 5th to get the FMX tranny gear ratios. I've already acquired a XRL transmission from a junk dealer, which I paid $80. As it stands right now, it looks like I'll have to shell out lots more to get the European 2nd and 5th gears to complete my swap.
  11. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I submit that if shipping INTL is 70$ to each person, Let's say 10 people, that's 700$. If we ship it to one location then distribute, that's 70$ + ~10$ each, so 170$/10 is 17$ shipping total... ish. round math.
  12. beechum1

Oddometer:
    The layman version, which is my version, is that if you drive on the freeway, it'll drop the revs a bit, so you can either go faster at the same revs as before, or have lower revs and go the same speed as before.
  13. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Great, another grand to drop on the motor rebuild. :eek1
  14. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My clutch hand isn't broken. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  15. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Keep it up Steve......i`m just sayin:lol3

:freaky

I think the NX 650 2nd gear at about 30-40 bucks bought in the U.S. is worth it.......but i wouldn`t put out the kind of money they want for the 5th gear change......i don`t do enough highway to warrant that...and its not reving very high at 60 miles an hour that i do on the highway..

B
  16. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Mine does. i commute every day. it'd be nice to have the low end for the low end, and the OD when i'm driving to work....
  17. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, do you know how many RPM is the drop?
  18. beechum1

Oddometer:
    i don't, sorry, i'm not that technical. I suppose the rest of the answer would include the question, of what gearing (sprockets) are you running....
  19. Ghost_Mutant

Oddometer:
    The DynaRing is $379, I think you are referring to the regular Revloc which is $895.
    See Here:
    http://www.revloc.com/index.cfm/id/2/Dirt-Bikes/

I won't be buying the regular Revloc.

Getting the 5th gear swap should leave more gas in the tank when I reach the trail head, this is my primary reason to do this swap. I suppose a case could be made that the FMX gearing is wide enough so that I wouldn't also need the dynaring, but when I think about the hard trails I've already been on and would like to go on again, I believe that having the dynaring will increase my off road smiles. Besides the dynaring is supposed to be adjustable so that you can run it just like the regular clutch by changing the clutch cable slack at the perch. It's push start capable, and I'm not certain that the $895 Revloc will do that.

The other case could also be made where having the dynaring and gearing for the highway will work with the stock XR gearing. No splitting of the case needed. But the clutch will be slipped more on the slow hard stuff and I wonder about excessive wear.

I like the idea of being able to relax the clutch hand and just concentrate on the trail obstacles. And $379 doesn't seem like too much to pay for this additional capability. To each his or her own:D

With 10 people committing to the group buy with the corresponding savings of +$50/person just in shipping charges alone, then I agree the group buy is worth the effort.

I did spend some time last night looking for a Honda OEM parts dealer in the Orient, no fruit. Searching in English seems to be limiting.
  20. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    20 vs 21 tooth fifth gear means a 5% drop in rpm.