My New Chinese Big Ruckus clone thread...

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by deezildennis, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading the article in the link, I'm not sure I believe this guy. Although he gives a lot of good advice, he also makes some very questionable statements. He says that the Chinese scoots are just as good quality as Honda or Yamaha? Of course that's after you replace all the fluids,belt, spark plug and ignition coil. He also states that a GY6 engine requires premium fuel or it will gum up and destroy the carb. That's interesting. I've been running mine on regular for 12,500 miles with no problems.

He also says not to expose your scooter to the elements. So just ride it on sunny Sunday afternoons and it will last a long time.
    I'm sorry but this guy who wrote this article is full of it.

I'm not a Chinese scooter hater. I think it's impressive when someone buys one of these things cheap and then puts the effort into making it run well. But to claim they are just as good as Honda or Yamaha is just BS.

One thing I will say for the Chinese, they do make some scooters that the Japanese, Italians, or Taiwanese should be making like this 150cc Ruckus clone. Why can't Honda do that? Just build it in Thailand to keep the cost down. 150cc is big enough to be practical but still small and light enough to be lots of fun and reasonably inexpensive.
  3. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me, personally, it's a great article. When I first was doing the research on purchasing my Rowdy every forum I went to and a few owners I came across all stressed using 93 octane so that is what I have always used. Whether a lower octane affects anything or not I chose to not risk the possibilities. This is my only transportation and will do everything in my power to have it around for many, many years. I think he meant something more along common sense when it came to the statement about the elements. Most of us park our vehicles in a garage or put them under tarps/covers to protect them from the elements because over time it does cause damage to a vehicle even if it's only paint fade. As for comparing them to Honda or Yamaha, it's his opinion and I personally feel the same in some respects. I've owned Hondas. Even purchasing them new I change fluids, spark plugs, ect. Not because I don't trust Honda, just because it was the way my father taught me. He's the greatest man I know so I will always follow his word. I agree whole-heartedly that Honda or whomever should make bikes like these that are more buyer friendly and cost effective. I'd surely own more than one :clap
  4. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use of high octane fuel is for an engine with high compression. The owners that are using this in a 150 gy6 are wasting money, and they do not understand what that fuel is used for. Unless you own a vette, or another very high compression engine, then it is not needed. The reason I love the honda passport is the engine is very low copression and can be used in country's that have 84 octane fuel. That is how it is designed. IF you use high octane in a chinkallinka scoot, you are wastin money... but hey, I am just some dude on the internet, but research high octane fuel and understand what it is for before putting it in a scoot. If you use it and notice some performance enhancement, it's your mind.. playing tricks on you..:1drink
  5. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    The 93 octane rating recommendation in Chinese owners manuals is referring to the European rating which is different than the US/Canada rating. 87 US is equivalent to 93 European.
  6. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've hit my 1000 mile mark (okay, Im a bit passed it) and it's time for me to change the belt. I remember that I need to change it up to a Gates but does anyone know the number? I had it written down but I can't find my notebook :D
  7. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    835-20-30 is the size belts i run in my ssr ruckclone. My stock belt was a Bando brand and in my opinion was just as good as the gates i have in it now.

Take care
  8. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dennis :D Also, is this motor considered the long case? The rear bolt hole where the air box connects snapped when the wind caught the scooter and blew it over. Thankfully that's all that happened but I need to replace the front pulley cover and just really want to make sure I'm asking about the right part. BTW did you ever get my pm? Thanks for all the help. Learning so much about this bike has actually been a lot of fun.
  9. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    It is a long case Gy6.

I'll check on the pm.
  10. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    My 600th post.

I get to tell you my Speedo has started to fade out on me. A few days back I nailed a huge pot hole and really shook me and the bike up pretty hard. I noticed it fading around then.

Luckly these are easy to find and cheap enough.

I'm really just glad I didn't get hurt or bend the front wheel.

Other than that the bike is still doing great.
  11. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why are you replacing the belt at only 1000 miles? Is it of bad quality? Some SYM HD200 owners have gone as far as 12,000-16,000 miles.
    I am following some threads on other forums about Chinese motorcycle owners. Many suggest replacing the engine oil before you even run them due to questionable quality. Also the fuel lines. Some rubber parts break down very early, but I've even heard that about some SYMs. Some owners have found the valves were set at about zero tolerance too.
  12. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, just because I can....this bike is 100% new learning experience for me and since I'll be adjusting valves for the first time I figured I would go ahead and do the belt. I will keep the original as a back up in case it's ever needed.
  13. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    guy says a "valve adjustment every 1000km to 3000km." wtf my Agility 125 has 17,000 miles and the valves have never needed adjustment. maybe once but i can't recall

are china scoots high maintenance? i find my two Taiwan scoots to be incredibly neglectable but they remain reliable
  14. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I don't think mine is more so than anything else I ride.

I really believe it depends on what China scoot you pick. I looked at a bunch. I mean really looked at them. I asked to take panels off looked at hoses, fittings, hardware quality of materials... you name it. If all you can afford is a China scoot, do your homework, realize you will need to maintain it, and buy from a local established dealer that knows how to fix any issues you have.

Make sure it has a warranty. Walk away if they say it doesn't.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have checked the valves on my Super 8 every 2500 Mi as specified in the Manual. They were out of spec 2 of 4 times. I'm about to check them again. Depending on what I find I may lengthen the interval between checks. Many people get away with neglecting the valve adjustments but it's a gamble.
  16. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Update..

I put a larger AGM battery in the rucklone. Best upgrade by far in this bike. Had the valves adjusted by the dealer I bought it from. Going to need front brakes soon. I may just replace the disc as well since they are really cheap.

Other than all that its still kicking. Had a nice little run to a friends property about 60 miles away. For the most part it was right at 50mph. That's just right before 7k on the clock and I know guys run these harder but I'm not. 50mph on backroads is plenty.

Take care all.
  17. ronnath

ronnath Long timer

Oddometer:

"cheap" as in not too costly to replace?
  18. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    They are $25 through my dealer. So yes cheap to replace. I haven't checked for run out on the disc but it must not be much since it doesn't pulse or anything.
  19. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Still scooting along with this.

Still really glad I upgraded the battery last summer. It has really helped on the super cold mornings here in the Midwest. I really need to get some sort of wind protection. I toy'd around with the idea of a lap cover but haven't came up with anything yet. I like the wind guards the real big ruckus' used to be able to get and still may try and fabricate something like that for it.

Not much else done to it but check the valves and fiddle fart with the hall effect speedo pick up that's been a big pain in the ass since I busted the piss out of the original speedo cluster. A trail tech vapor may be going on it next year.

Take care all!
  20. Gigglingoth

Gigglingoth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So my bike has never given me any issues until now and hopefully it's a small one. Bike has fired up and ran perfectly all winter long. No hard starts or anything. So far the stock battery has been perfect. Yesterday I rode with zero issue and today....well, it starts. It varies between starting right away and then not until I lay on the starter for a long period. When it first started this it ran ok once started. But then would run for a bit and die. If it started running rough I gave a small throttle twist only to have it die. I replaced the spark plug just in case. The old one had normal burn but it fired right up with the new plug and seemed to keep running just fine. After a few minutes and a spin around the block it died. No idea what to try next. I did contact SSR because I got the performance coil and cdi for the bike and was asking about a larger jet. They said the carb is sealed and they do not recommend and upgrades on this unit