1200 Turbo!?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by BordenBmw, Dec 13, 2011.

1. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
  2. KankakeeBenjamin

KankakeeBenjamin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want one. That thing would haul. Not to good off road though.
  3. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_g4Bq6Un_as" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X7W9dUkJPsk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy

viz
  4. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    Ahh, yes. The old Boxer-Turbo-Para-Hubby. Who hasn't seen one of those?

WOW! :knary
  5. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>That bike was at the Moto Show in the BMW booth. Really nice in the flesh. I talked tech with builder Stellan Egeland for over a half hour at the show, he's the genuine article.

Check out the BIKES link here: http://www.seservice.se/ He claims the "long cold winters" are his source for inspiration.

<BR>
  7. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Is he using engine oil to cool the turbo and returning it through the oil cap?

I was thinking it would be neat if he could put all the turbo stuff in a hot pannier on the left side.
  8. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stellan Egeland is a cool guy very innovative check out his creation The Hulster
    http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/08/08/hulster-8-valve-2007-amd-world-champion/

I'd like to build a turbo for myself but dealing with Big Brother here in Sweden can be very frustrating.
    I built one for my Harley Road KIng that worked quite well and it would be fun to do it again ,a turbo and some pipes and bends and an angle grinder and a TIG welding unit is all you need:lol3
  9. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe...couldn't find any pics showing that part of the oil-return plumbing, but it would work. Turbos actually need a pressurized oil supply more for lubrication than cooling, as the hot side/turbine is designed to run at exhaust temp, and the compressor doesn't get very hot in comparison, as long as the heat shield is installed and you follow proper shutdown procedure. Hot shutdowns do very bad things to the bearings. :cry

The oil helps with cooling, but loss of the oil feed will lead to a squeaked bearing long before it overheats.

Turbo return oil is a mixture/froth/mousse of air and oil, and requires a much larger line that re-enters the cases above the sump's oil level- it's that water-hose sized plumbing that's partly visible just below the compressor outlet hose.

Neat, maybe...but all the extra plumbing to get there and then back to the engine would create a LOT of boost lag. As installed, the plumbing's already about as tidy as you could make it.
  10. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't such a configuration cause that air box to drag through corners?
  11. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    That sure does look like an oil return line, but on the 1200 it may be the crankcase vent. On the stock 1200 motor the vent hose fitting is molded into the left side cam sprocket cover. The picture is too dark, but Dacar Motorsport may have removed the cam cover vent fitting and hose to make room for their plumbing.

<BR>
  12. micksouthere

micksouthere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's actually an intercooler...

...and yes I reckon it would with stock suspension
  13. micksouthere

micksouthere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't think that configuration would work too well...two small turbo's relying on a fairly lazy stroke to spin them up...not nice if one boosts slightly higher than the other!
  14. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    Cool shit, probably out of my price range. :D
  15. UtahSooner

UtahSooner awagnon

Oddometer:
    Ron at Bavarian Motorcycle Workshop in Salt Lake City ( http://bavarianmotorcycleworkshop.com/ ) turbocharged his 1150GS. Sounds like a jet taking off. Supposedly has significantly more power.
  16. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad it does not work for 2010> GS models with the oil cap on the wrong side :D

Dan.
  17. palla62

palla62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Video of the test

those who did not know the Italian language:

• It works above 6000 rpm (the engine is limited to originally specifications bmw)
    • maximum power to the wheel 130 hp
    • Kit price 6.000 € :huh
    • Mounting costs 700 €