Best Adventure Boot

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by johnd04, Sep 16, 2013.

1. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My BMW adventure boots are starting to tell me its time to look elsewhere, after 9 years.

I liked about these boots because they almost reached the top of my calf, have shin/ankle protection, waterproof, and didnt scream "Im an adventure riding hero!", they are just black. So whats a great boot with all of the GS Off-road riding protection that can allow you to stomp through washouts 15" deep?

Dont want to spent 500 but would be interested in knowing what people consider "the best".

Thanks
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    That's kind of a loaded question. There are so many good adventure style boots out there nowadays. It's a common question so you'll find quite a few threads if you do a search on it. Did you have the BMW Santiago boots? They don't scream adv hero and they still make them IIRC. TCX Infinity is also very similar to it. If you check out the adventure boot section on Revzilla.com you'll see most of the available boots on the market and most have video reviews of them. They have a good exchange policy in case you dont get the right size you need. I think I ordered and returned 4 or 5 pairs of boots to them until I found a set that fit my chicken leg calves (SIDI Adventure). Here's their adventure boot section:

http://www.revzilla.com/sport-touring-adv-boots
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if they're the best, but I LOVE my Sidi Adventure Goretex boots. At ten months and 22,000 miles, I don't have a single complaint about then. Not one.

BTW, I couldn't afford the $550 price tag, so I ordered them from FC-Moto overseas for $298 shipped!
  4. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, I was scouting trail washouts, walking through them to assess depth and things hidden below. Are the Sidis waterproof??
  5. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Which Sidis? The Adventure? Yes. i think most boots that Sidi makes are gore-tex. Like max, I purchased my Adventure gore-tex from FC-Moto for less than the Adventure Rain.
  6. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any tips on how to buy from this dealer?
  7. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Just buy online like any other vendor. Make sure you know your correct size because if you have to return an item, it will be costly. I had to return a helmet and it cost me $70 to ship it back USPS which was the cheapest method. They ship quickly. My boots came in about 5 days and my helmet came next day.
  8. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Realize that the price is in Euros and includes the VAT fee. You have to convert the currency and subtract the VAT to see how much it will cost you. Then when you choose shipping, choose DHL. This is the cheapest option, and it is the option that is least likely to incur an import fee (or whatever it is called) when it is delivered. I used DHL and it took over a month to arrive if I remember correctly. The communication from FC-Moto was almost non-existent, and it was frustrating waiting without having any clue where the boots were. However, I had read of countless other people who had the same experience, so I didn't worry. I just waited it out, and eventually they were delivered with no fees at the door. A $550 boot for $298 brand new. Can't beat that. Last I saw, the price went up a bit from that. I was lucky and bought it near the bottom of the price trough. But, it should still be substantially cheaper.

And so far, the Sidi Adventures have been 100% waterproof. I even sat down by a creek with my feet submerged for about 15-20 minutes while I ate lunch. Not a drop came in. I've also rode through hours and hours of rain without a drop coming in. Like I said, I don't have a single complaint about this boot.
  9. jonmbakermd

jonmbakermd Dr Baker

Oddometer:
    The SIDI gortex adventure boot is $500 never on sale, great boot, Paired with the Klim Badlands pro jacket and pants you are pretty much set for scuba diving if you want. I have ridden in 20 to 110 degree weather, boots stay dry unles you submerge the top cuff then planning no dumping out the river water. Highly recommend the boots. Revzilla at least gives you Revzilla cash so almost like it is on sale. Free shipping etc. Pretty happy with my kit.

10. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you pay? Do you just convert and pay the US equivalent?
  11. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    I think I paid using PayPal every time I used an overseas vendor.

No, as mentioned, click on USD under currency on the website and once you place the item in the basket with a USA destination, the VAT will be removed and choose DHL shipping. I just went on there and Sidi Adventure goretex are $435 shipped. At Motostorm.it they're $382 shipped. I purchased a Shuberth C3 from Motostorm last month for $500 shipped and I received it the day after I ordered it. They used FedEx, but I did not have to pay the import fee. They have excellent communication and email you the tracking number when it ships.
  12. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Like HikerTrash said, just use PayPal. It's all converted automatically. I'm pretty sure if you use a credit card, it works the same way, regardless of which vendor you use. Though, this is only an ASSumption.
  13. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is VAT and, to confirm, we do NOT pay VAT?
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    VAT is value added tax. It's basically a sales tax (though a bit different) in the EU that is already added into the advertised price. It is 19% in Germany. It varies from country to country in Europe, from a low of 8% in Switzerland to 27% in Hungary. Here is a list of VAT rates by country: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/vat-rates-europe.htm

If the shipping address is in the EU, you do pay VAT. If the shipping address (or maybe billing or both) is outside of the EU, you don't pay VAT. So, if your location of Vermont is your shipping address, you won't pay VAT.
  15. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have the sidi discovery rain and they have been a good boot, but i bought them half a size bigger than i would of liked. so ive been thinking of some new ones for a while now..

what do you guys think of the forma adventure? they look to be a great boot. and look nice to walk in too..

EDIT:
    FC moto.de have the sidi crossfire for just over $300 delivered.. thats a great deal..
    very tempting.
  16. Swashbuckler

Swashbuckler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just happened to stop in the local bmw dealer to test out the sidi discovery gore-tex and they happened to have a 15% off sale on all gear and the boots were already only $400. I bought them without even thinking and have been enjoying them since. They are comfortable and have kept me dry in this crazy colorado rain. I don't know about standing in calf high water, but I wouldn't be worried.
  17. johnd04

johnd04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone speak to the sizing of the Sidi Adventure boot. Do they run pretty straight up?
  18. FormerInmate072021

FormerInmate072021 guest

Oddometer:
    Can anyone speak to how much overkill these would be if you aren't doing full on ADV rides but just want to ride year round and do some tours/adv later?
  19. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
  20. Hikertrash

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I don't see why a pair of Sidi Onroad, Canyon or TCX Infinity boots wouldn't serve your purposes.