Rally Navigation Roadbook Creation

Discussion in 'Racing' started by MotoMinded, Jun 21, 2012.

1. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    As someone who has played around with gmaps and android app development, I've been reading through these threads with interest. I've got a couple of ideas on a workflow, but have never written a roadbook myself. I'll try writing one using local trails, to see if I can narrow down the process. I'd be interested in discussing it with others that have made them before to see if I'm on the right track (:lol3).
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I'm going to work on mine this weekend if you feel like riding a bit? Having you involved would be great, since you're good with computers. I've got some 390 stuff for you.
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Doing another recon ride this weekend. Hopefully find something that goes through.
  4. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I recruited 4 people to make routes up here, I just need to order some RB holders for them. Once I describe the process (what little I know), people get all excited about making RB's. :lol3 That's Roadbooks, not roast beef
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Rebecca Black?
  6. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Josephine Booker
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I will have to head up your way and help test them out one of these days. I keep hearing you guys have some great dual-sport routes, would be cool to try them out and test out your roadbooks :thumb
  8. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Was hoping you would come up and test them out. Half done with one loop now, so let's shoot for August.
  9. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, I can use this as a shakedown before I head out for Vegas 2 Reno.
  10. beechum1

Oddometer:
    Finally have a loop. Followed two guys on crf and wr. But my phone turned off before the end. Guess I have to go back out with a charged battery in the phone and vid camera. THe sacrifices I make. Should have some time over the next few jobs to work on roadbooks.
  11. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few comments from the roadbooks I've made.

1) Start by figuring out the fundamentals of the loop you want to make. For me, this typically revolves around gas- point a to gas 1, gas 1 to gas 2, gas 2 to point a or something.

2) Have a clear idea of your audience. You'll choose different options for a group of novice GS riders than Dakar wannabes on 450s.

3) Start farting around on each leg with the benefit of a map. See what you can find that is cool. The ideal place to make a roadbook has lots of roads, all of which go through, sort of a web of roads. That gives you lots of options for how to connect, and how to add or subtract mileage.

4) Look for the unexpected. People really enjoy the stuff that they wouldn't find on their own- out west, that might be old mines, wrecked cars, railroad bridges, big washes, etc. Even a short break from roads is welcome and will be something they talk about back at camp.

5) Do NOT try to write the roadbook before you have the legs dialed in. It's such a PITA to try to unwind instructions you've been writing when you wind up in a dead end- sure, you can just go back to a known point and reset the odometer, but now the odo isn't going to be precise because of the lost marginal mileage, and its easy to confuse the tulip. Figure out where you're going, and then document it.

6) I'm the opposite of Hogwild. I hate technology, and computers loathe my touch. So, after I've completed steps 1-4, I ride the route with a little spiral bound notebook and pen. At every intersection, I make a note of mileage, draw a tulip, and write the description. No one will see this except me.

7) Then, I use Hogwild's Excel template, and enter in mileage and notes (and occasional GPS coordinates to rescue lost souls). I print this, then use a fine and medium tip sharpie (to give me different sizes for roads) to draw in the tulips as neatly as possible. Then I photocopy the result. This is quick and effective, but the downside is that it can't be shared electronically.

8) A few other comments:
    - Regarding intersections that you go straight through: I mark them only if I haven't given an instruction in a while, so that people can stay on their mileage.
    - Start looking for turns that look the same that are close together. These are great tools for messing with your friends.
    - The key to a great roadbook is finding the cool, unexpected stuff. My roadbook process often starts when I try to figure out how I'm going to lure my friends into something I stumble across, like a crazy chute or washed out gully or something that is too neat not to share.
    - Mix up the pace- give them some fast, then some slow, then some fast, then some slow. Nobody wants to blast all day, nobody wants to grind all day.
    - Hogwild is the king. His roadbooks are maybe better than the ASOs. Ignore everything I say for what he says.
    ssandijss and PaulPoland like this.
  12. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    The trails here survived the hurricane pretty well, a few bridges are gone but rerouting has been easy. I think you'll enjoy the variety. I'm going to try and link two routes by making a liaison section on paved roads to add to the fun.

[​IMG]

Started from this
  13. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider scanning the resulting pages rather than just doing a photocopy. Then you can just share the pdf file, also then you could easily print out a new copy of one rather than hanging on to the original paper copies. If you don't have a scanner staples print center can scan to pdf for you.
  14. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He is not kidding about #6. And the times I have been around his process, he is writing these out of his van 50mi. from the closest gas station, 200mi. from a place that can scan for you. All this the day before we ride the book.:lol3
  15. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    The iPad program is really easy and you can email PDF routes directly from the iPad. No scanning, no writing, no scribbles that you're not what they are two days later. I'm no authority on this stuff, so I'll defer to the experts of course.
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    arise Vestal thread!!

There seems to be another way to make roadbooks !!

I just received a GPS from Trippy http://www.tripy.eu/en they would like me to beta test it here.

currently they have no maps for the USA but plan on releasing a version.

They do have the EU covered it seems including destinations and gas stations.

(its the official dakar support vehicle gps)

[​IMG]

Assistance vehicules of Dakar 2011 will be fit with a “Tripy” GPS electronical Roadbook.

Tripy Roadmaster is a qualified GPS based navigation roadbook offering to the crews:
    · - the automatic display of the roadbook notes (including instantaneous km countdown),
    · - a Tripmaster function,
    · - a warning for overspeed or upcoming itinerary danger,
    · - a warning for quitting the itinerary and a navigation assistance help to rejoin it.

The navigation system warns the driver as soon as he quits the planned itinerary. In this instance, a compass arrow shows up and displays the straight line direction to follow, to reach the next WayPoint.
    As soon as the track is rejoined, the roadbook resets and resumes at that point. Tripy RoadMaster, initially developed for motorbikers, offers an optimum passive safety and provides unequalled driving comfort

the neat thing about this gps is that you can create and print roadbooks complete with tulips with the gps and optional road tracer software.

Once winter sets in and I have more time I plan on using their road tracer software. Also you can import GPX tracks or create a path in google earth to import as well.
  17. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    We've had really good luck using road book editor for printing and distributing to multiple riders
    http://rbeditor.valleyfield.se/en/dev.php

I made a lot of symbols for in cad to work with the program. you can find them here
    http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/road-book-tulips?page=1

Here are the steps I go through to make a route

• I get an idea for a route and an Idea of where I want to go
    • get on google earth to check things out and make a plan
    • check to make sure nothing is on private property and if needed seek permission
    • double check my topo map program to see if all the trails and roads are on it
    • route and download the track in my gps
    • ride the route and explore options and make sure it's duable
    • ride the route and start taking notes using blank road book paper in road book
    • input into RBE and print
    • re-ride and make corrections to road book
    • think you got the picture.

When starting out I had a habit of over marking the course... sometimes too much information can confuse the riders too. Marking every corner and bump in the road also takes a lot of time.

I finally figured out that if you keep the compass bearing that most can follow the course and mark the big changes and issues.

[​IMG]
  18. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said Ned!

+1 :clap
  19. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    There is something totally groundbreaking coming soon...

:holdsbreath
  20. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Oh no...the end of paper road books already? :cry