OBCDR ride next summer

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by jcloer1, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Me too. I need to ride that North section I skipped out on....and ride a whole lot more "interesting" roads while I'm near there. There is a whole lot more to Oregon than the OBDR, and a whole lot of it is calling me.
    That made a big difference in the travel time, signal and move, rather than wait for the full stop at each intersection. You can't assume the rider sees you just because they're close to the intersection. Remember, they're kinda busy, slowing down and watching the road. Wait for their visual signal so they know which fork to ride. "wait until you see the whites of their eyes"....then wait more for a visual signal from them. I've heard some say they just leave a big roost mark and ride on. I'm not really comfortable with just that alone.
    Bring at least an Atlas in addition to the GPS, it won't have every bad road in it, but it might get you out of a jam. I usually bring many FS maps also, but sometimes get lazy. Everyone was certainly planning on doing their own food, primarily Mountain House freeze-dried for most, until they realized I was cooking real decent food most all nights, and most shared.

I'm 800-900 lbs easy when I ride loaded, but I have a 990. I did learn to pack less clothes on that ride. You don't need them; EVERYTHING gets dirty anyway, so who cares HOW dirty? One pair of warm pants, shorts, a T-shirt and 2 pairs of socks, one to ride in, and one pair to camp in. KEEP your feet DRY. I found that out the hard way and got a bit of athlete's foot on that ride. I also pack LOTS of water, a filter, and a soft cooler with ice and whiskey, cheese and meats, and a campchair. You know,...truly important stuff :nod
    I am a BMW camper in a KTM world,
    ...but one that isn't afraid of a few (or a lot of !!) scratches and dents.

Fast and light is fine for some, but then the camping just isn't as enjoyable or comfortable. And motels and restaurants are just plain OUT for me; why would I wanna go to a city for the night, when I've been in the backcountry all day? As fun as DS riding is, the time spent camping with new friends and enjoying the evening campfire time in close to car-camping like comfort is easily as important for me. It's not just about "riding the OBDR" (or whatever) for me, it's about the week-long backcountry experience that I'm a part of, and the actual "route" and it's destination is really just less important.
  2. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good post AJ. One of my favorite things to do is backpacking and the group I usually go with is all about food and drink. We end up usually around 55 lbs in our pack including good food, horerves and several bags of wine. I've also got plenty of light backpacking gear. I do have the OOHVA maps but I don't think I'd bring them. They don't look that sturdy. I do think they would be good to mark another map/atlas though that may not have the detail.

I agree, I plan on enjoying the great outdoors while doing something like this. I'm not into credit card touring unless the wife is with me.
  3. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed! Great post AJ!
    The riding is a big part of the excitement for me (largely because its still so new to me!), but at least as much of the trip will be enjoying the wilderness and then getting to know new, like minded peeps who I can start planning more adventures with! :) :freaky
  4. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    When the seven of us rode the OBDR 5 (OBCDR clicky), two of them had never camped cowboy-camp style (dispersed no-where camping). They were expecting campgrounds and at least vault toilets along the way. Well.....one didn't shit for the first three days, because he had actually NEVER wagged his ass over the grass before. I was kinda blown away by that, but I'm a country boy, and I pee out my front door if I wanna.

Reading all of your responses makes me wanna join this group even more. I think you guys are gonna have a good time together :nod But as I posted above, I'll be taking two weeks off with my wife to ride far and wide (whereEVER she wants to go) in August already, and the finances are faaaar from accommodating another week off with you hooligans :1drink

But lemme tellya,....I'll be hounding y'all for an RR, and likely (hopefully) seeing many of you at "Barlow or Bust; 2014" this June, where I first met JCloer1 last year. Details coming soon......
  5. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

lmao! That's hard to imagine...but I'm a bit of a hillbilly myself. I can't tell you how many times I've peed next to my truck in the driveway. :)

Looking forward to deets on the Barlow trip! I HOPE I can make it again, but it depends on the dates (I already have a week long trip planned in late June). I'll try to make at least a day or two anyway and see if I can drag 1Patriot along too!

Looking at TW200's to get my wife on board so we can do lots 'o Oregon exploring too! Can't wait to hear about the trip with your wife!

I have to remember to buy a machined aluminum housing for my GoPro so I can do video RR's. I lost my camera on a ride outside of Bend last year when the mount broke...my buddy went back the next morning and found it! :clap
  6. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty funny, must be a guy thing. We moved from Gaston to Hillsboro and I tell my wife the thing I miss most about living out in Gaston was the ability to take a piss in my own yard. :D

I really liked the TW200. I almost bought one before I got my XT250. Fun little bike. Good starter bike for you wife I think. Resell is easy also if she decides she wants more power later. Hard to find them used for a good price.

I think we should get together sometime in Feb and start the planning off over a beer or two.
  7. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:) Yep, I think it will be a great starter for her and a fun second for me! Hee hee!

I'm game for getting together in February. I'm available Feb 2nd, the weekend of the 8th and the weekend of the 22nd. Anyone who is interested in starting off with a meet/greet and beginning to plan logistics, this is a good chance to get an early start...
    Chime in with dates and location ideas!
  8. mrmagoolin

mrmagoolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would suggest that you go with the XT as well. They are basically the same bike but the TW has the big tires. But the XT is able to obtain higher speeds and makes necessary road riding much more injoyable.
  9. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think if it were just my second bike I would go with either the XT250 or the KLX250, but my wife has never been on a dirt bike in her life. She originally sat on an XT at the dealership and liked it for seat height and comfort, so it is definitely still in the top two choices. I'm just thinking that the TW might be the perfect first bike as it has less power, more stable tires and low gearing (things I have read on forums from riders, not personal experience). She has been a little hesitant anyway, so I want her first bike to be something she can be very comfortable with right out of the gate and gain confidence quickly...

That being said...my XR650L is the only dirt bike I've been on in 25 years and I've only been on it a dozen or so times since I bought it last April (including a handful of ADV days mixed in), so I welcome any and all tips, opinions, etc.! A noob talking his wife into becoming a noob! :evil
  10. Rick

Rick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The XT225 can be found pretty easily on craigslist and it's no more powerful than the TW but has 6 speed gearbox and can easily do 70 on the highway. It's also lighter than the TW and the same height. I think it has a bigger tank as well.

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4258719773.html $2900
    Bought for his wife. :D Only 1500 miles.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/4299614824.html TW200 $3250 with a rack.

Might also consider a Kawasaki KLR250. Very nice bike same height as the others and bulletproof. http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/4300627783.html only $2000.

Lots of options...
  11. PBRider

PBRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can make any of those dates, so what ever works best for everyone I can be there. If weather is decent it would be nice to through in a short ride as well.
  12. Apple Jam

Oddometer:
    DR200 Suzuki is what my wife rides. We looked at the XT carefully also, and it seemed VERY similar. We found her 2009 with only 795 miles for $2700. Does 65-70, and happy all day long at 55mph, and just as happy tractoring up the gnar at 10mph or less without chugging to a stop. She climbed on it and very quickly started following me pretty much anywhere, seriously. And this was after failing to be able to ride my old Shadow with a similar 31" seat height. I believe we got her the perfect first bike, but the XT mighta been just fine. I'd assume the TW would be tough on the highway, but don't know.

That said, after about 8,000 miles in 2-1/2 years, she's looking through CL for a DRZ400, but that woulda been tough to tackle as a n00b.

When you do get her something, and you want a couple to ride a daytrip with, lemme know :deal
  13. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will do. I think once she gets into it enough to not be self conscious, having another couple to ride with would be a great way to keep it interesting! :)

She sat on a DR and she thought it felt pretty tall. I think she would get used to any of them, but she will just have to get over that initial hesitation.

I rode a DR400 in Bend (traded bikes for a while with my buddy while riding)...that thing felt super twitchy compared to my XRL!
  14. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto that!
  15. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I've looked at all of those! :) Thanks for the links and the tips! I need to get her out on weekends to go check out a few bikes on CL and just see which one she'll like.
  16. KillerD

KillerD BoozeMagician

Oddometer:
    February is a shitty month for me, but if the meet up is in Portland I'll be up there anyway the last week of the month and may be able to catch a really early or late event. Out of the state the weekend of the 22nd.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  17. PBRider

PBRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for a bike for my wife as well. She got her endorsement back in 2008 and rode for one season. Now she wants to ride again but does not want any type of off road capable motorcycle because they look to much like a boys bike:rofl.
  18. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LMAO! I found a TW yesterday from the late 80's that is red and white. I told my wife we should get that one so that she can match me on my XRL. ;)
  19. dirtbagrider

dirtbagrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going on a ride out side of Estacada Sunday off NFD 4610 if anyone would care to join me
  20. jcloer1

jcloer1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could! I have company in town this weekend. Have a great ride and thanks for the invite! Should be beautiful!