Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
    Or maybe SmugMug ... the host of this site! :lol3
  2. trackdayrider

trackdayrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

anyone rich enough to want to offroad a panigale - good luck to em ! lol

anyway here's my V with news suspension fitted
    [​IMG]
  3. mtcycle

mtcycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 2013 Versys acouple of weeks ago and plan to ride it from NY to CA in a few days. It should be interesting. I've done long rides on touring bikes but this will be the first time on a middleweight bike.
  4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another Versys owner checking in...

Getting ready for a trip from San Francisco up to Seattle later this summer.

I was reading some of the posts discussing the pros and cons of the Versys. I agree that it's not designed as a dirt bike and that it's kind of light on the adventure bike side too. Yeah, it's basically a street bike, but it can be modded to fit many peoples' needs. For me it's absolutely the perfect bike. I use it mostly for urban and freeway commuting, weekend day trips around the greater SF Bay Area's twisty roads, and the occasional road trip where I plan to do mostly paved roads (minimal super slab though), some easy gravel roads and camping.

It's perfect for me for my uses at this time. If I really get the adventure bug, and wanting to do more off road stuff, I'd probably get a different bike.

Looking forward to seeing y'all out there!
  5. GS Weaver

GS Weaver idiot Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much exactly how I use mine. I think it's a great all around "standard" bike. There are much better streetbikes, much better tourers, much better adventurers, etc. But for the money, it's really hard to beat.
    On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate a stock Versys 4 off road 6 on. Put a few thousand in it and it's easily 6 off road 7 on. And still well under $10k. And then it's personalized to your needs.

Or go buy a KTM 990 or R1 and drop $14k for a stock bike.
  6. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they just came with a 19"-21" front wheel.....:(:
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    That's a $1500 Versys in the photo, can't think of any improvements that would add another couple thousand to the cost.

Too bad no demo rides, it's a fun to ride moto that will get you there and back.

There's another on the way that should be delivered at similar cost.
  8. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    It isn't even about turning it into a "dirt bike" for me. I just happen to enjoy riding two tracks, jeep roads etc and this bike fits me ergonomically.

If throwing on a set of "dual sport" rubbers makes it perform that much better than so be it.

It's fun, it doesn't hurt my bad back after 10+ hours in the saddle. Which is key.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    that's good, because it will never be a dirt bike.

doesn't mean the bike can't go some unlikely places.
  10. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think any of us "Dual Sport" types think or believe that our set-up V's are "Dirt Bikes" They are road bikes with dirt manners. Just the opposite of my previous bike a 1988 Honda XR600R which was a Dirt Bike with Street manners. Just like the creators of the Versys (Versatile System) had in mind when they made it (or at least I think so) This bike could become many different bikes depending on the rider's needs and wants!
  11. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I bought a Moto Guzzi V7 Stone a couple weeks ago with the intention of selling the Versys. The problem is, I keep riding the damn thing and it keeps putting a smile on my face. :dunno I may sell my KLR instead.
  12. Baron650

Baron650 650x2

Oddometer:
    Hey, Congrats on the new Versys. That's quite a break-in ride you have planned! You might be pining for the GTL after a couple days.
  13. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    New tire and LED bar :evil
    (The TKC 80 has surprisingly good road manners, I was a bit weary at first... but now I am back to my road going ways. Railing the twisties to the dirt!)

[​IMG]
  14. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't see the picture at work..:huh Darn IT folks. Is the TKC on the rear or front? Or BOTH.
    Edit: I just saw it on the "OTHER" site. You will LOVE it in the gravel. AND if you air it down to 25 you will REALLY see the difference. 32 should be your street psi, at least it has worked for me.
  15. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where you get the light bar?
  16. ToasterTech

ToasterTech Working for the Man

Oddometer:
    Have you had time to ride and evaluate your new suspension? What is the approximate cost for what you have done? Thanks
  17. trackdayrider

trackdayrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rear shock came in at £450 the fork springs at £120
    And on a quick test ride it is a revelation... Local road surfaces leave something to be desired .. Except the roads where the tour de France will pass through next month! Which magically have been perfectly resurfaced! Anyway it rides wonderfully!! Worth every penny.. And will be on my planned rtw trip next year. ..
    Will be interesting to see what it is like with the tkc 80s fitted :)

Sent from my M470BSE using Tapatalk
  18. southwade

southwade Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    The light bar is the first of its kind.
    A friend of mine made it for me. Possibly going into production here soon.
    7000 real lumens. Not some 10,000 chinese claimed lumens...
    :evil
  20. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know the color temp? 5000 K I'm guessing? Or 6300?