Lube the Speedo Gear at Transmission?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by CaribouCases, May 2, 2009.

1. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    So I'm putting my tranny back in and I see that the helical gear on the part in the transmission the trasmits to the speedometer cable has some wear...
    [​IMG]

Do you guys lube these things? I wonder if this is what makes my speedo flutter.
  2. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    don't know about the speedo but wanted to make sure you know to put the clutch bits back in before the swingarm

was this just a spline lube or did you have other issues that caused you to pull the gearbox?
  3. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    That gear gets lubed by transmission oil misting about in there.
    Robert
  4. CaribouCases

CaribouCases Boulder CO

Oddometer:
    Adventure Rider & Aftermarket Systems Manufacturer
    Started out as spline lube and turned into gearbox upgrade with circlip after I found some rather worrisome metal shavings in the tranny.

Well, it probably cant't hurt to put a little of the stuff I used on the splines.
  5. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the spiral grooves at the end opposite the gear teeth lift oil up into it. I just put a transmission together and into my ST. I wiped the speedo gear with gear lube, dropped it in place, and dribbled some more gear lube in on top of it to keep it happy until the gear lube in the transmission starts making its way into everywhere it is supposed to go.

The wear you see on the teeth is normal as long as its just shiny and no pitting. The contact area with the teeth on the output flange is pretty narrow and shows the narrow wear strip you see on the speedo gear.