I finally got one!!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by supermotosean, Apr 24, 2011.

1. supermotosean

supermotosean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, since I've been serial lurking for about a year now I'd say this is way overdue. I've wanted a hack for the better part of two years now, but kept having trouble justifying the money to "try it out". I've even talked to some manufacturers (Claude most recently) about putting a car on my Ninja 500 because I love my bike and want to keep it around forever. (not that that makes a great tug but I digress..) I fully understand that the best way to start out would be to get a pre-built setup and try it out, but I still wanted to try my current bike. So, in the searches through ebay, craigslist, and every other market I could find I finally came across a car within my driving limits for less than a grand. The seller gave me one stipulation-I had to take the bike too. (cue jaw-dropping sound) All I could get was "Goldwing" and "sidecar". I figured it was well worth a look and pulled into his drive to find an 87 Goldwing Interstate attatched to a California sidecar. No, it wasn't my cool idea of a do-it-all adventure midsized hack on my trusty 500, but for a negotiated price of 900 bucks loaded on the trailer I really didn't think I could go wrong. ( I now half expect to hear how California Sidecars spontaneously combust or magically fly apart as this is one of the brands I haven't done much research on:D) I apologize if I sound like I'm bragging, but I felt like I got a pretty good deal on getting my foot in the door, and I figured you guys could appreciate my elation:wings
    Now, HERE'S the disclaimer... The hack was fairly clean (I think it's a Friendship, not sure what generation yet) but the bike is a complete TURD..Here's the car-

Attached Files:

2. D.Bachtel

D.Bachtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nipomo ,,,, Where HWY 101 and HWY 166 collide!
    I think AceRalph had one of those strapped to a FJ1200...
    go ahead show us the turd.

Don in Nipomo
  3. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    No major cracks in the glass or shield and the hack frame had some surface rust but still feels solid, I figure nothing some brushing/blasting and some Krylon can't fix. The bike on the other hand, looks like it sat in a field for the last ten years (until yesterday when it got pushed into a garage maybe?!?) Corrosion everywhere, a wide variety of dead insects :puke1 and previous owner says the guy HE got it from parked it when it quit running around ten years ago. Looks like poop, but there's an upside- about two hours of JC Whitney accessory removal, a little patience and a hot battery provided me with the sound of a running opposed four this afternoon. Also found out (I believe) why it quit running, moving the harness around between the right handlebar switch assembly and the ignition key effectively turns the bike on and off... I THINK with some minor wire repair, and a thoroughly cleaned fuel system I'm gonna have a pretty good running bike. Here it is as delivered-

Attached Files:

4. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    Again, not what I planned on building, but for what I was willing to pay for the hack I ended up with the tug and all the mounting equipment too. It was all assembled until I took it home, dang thing wouldn't fit through the Uhaul trailer gate :D. I expect this to take a little while to get going, but at least all I have to do now is maintenance stuff, a fabricator I am not! Now, I'll quit lurking and try to keep you guys supplied with moderate intervals of progress pics! :evil
  5. D.Bachtel

Oddometer:
    Wow. Get out the pressure washer and clean her up! Maybe sort out a few of those rat nests while you're at it. Good deal! Could be nice!

Don in Nipomo
  6. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    I think you got a steal. Down in NC, I see used Goldwings going in simlar condition for $1200+ without the hack. I love that opposed four engine too. I've always wanted to put one in a chop myself, hence the reason I'm always looking for an old G'wing with a title.

On the flip side, I don't know squat about hacks. I'm here to learn too. But I think for $900, you're going to have a lot of fun.
  7. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    congrats on the acquisition
    a great deal
    love this thread
    appreciate that you shared with us
    can't wait to watch this all unfold
    good luck
  8. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Nine hundred bucks?!

That was a heck of a bargain.
  9. Triumph Rider

Triumph Rider shut up and ride!

Oddometer:

:clap Alright... and now that it runs.... you have something to work with and spend sometime on riding not fabricating... you can have the hack of your day dreams, plus it can tow the 500 around not a bad choice:D
  10. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Not a big Wing fan myself. I would part out the wing and mount the hack to a recent Triumph Bonnie or /7 BMW.

That's just me, I like the old school look.
  11. D.Bachtel

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing photos of the roll out.
    Get that Wing going on 3 wheels!:clap

Don in Nipomo
  12. D.Bachtel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    Can't believe that's the same rig as in the other pictures.

--chiba
  14. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    LOL.

That (the "rat-wing") is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, both in a hack and as a touring bike.

Having a bike with faded paint and "patina" while still being mechanically perfect appeals to my sensibilities (or lack there of). Good theft deterent too!

Keep them both together and don't do anything but get it running right. No paint, no "upgrades", you aren't ever going to get your money back if you do.
  15. bmhappy

bmhappy sandbagger

Oddometer:
    don't know for sure, but an 81 goldwing with a terriplane sidecar is always in my way when working on my rig @ "FRIENDS" house. he has mentioned many time about "getting rid" of it ......... but didnt believe anyone would want to take on a project, time and $ needed to put it back together again........... in many boxes but all parts are there :freaky i can check further and take pictures if there is and interest !!!!:lol3
  16. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    you know the old saying about one man's junk... :1drink
  17. supermotosean

Oddometer:
    I think I want to find a tank shelter from the naked '84 GL1200, just strip this one down and bless it with Krylon, least that's the plan as of right now.... Sucks only having the weekends to work on it though:cry
  18. Sidecar Sarge

Sidecar Sarge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you are VERY wise to go with the hacked Wing as a beginner's rig rather than hacking your Ninja. Installing a sidecar turns a motorcycle into a tug. It is no longer a motorcycle. If you love your Ninja, keep it that way. Now you can play with the Wing rig and decide if a sidecar is for you without doing major alterations to your "baby".

Sarge
  19. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    The chair looks like a friendship II. It should have a swing arm suspension with a motorcycle type coil over shock and a 13" tire.

I have a similar rig, a 1986 GW 1200 with a Friendship II. It's a very nice ride once dialed in.

[​IMG]
  20. Triumph Rider

Triumph Rider shut up and ride!

Oddometer:
    Will it fit the Ninja? and did you "modify" the GL yet? let me know if you need hand!:wink: