2010 Central Rally III

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bonebag, Sep 14, 2009.

?

Pick you're Date for the Central Rally III

1. August 20-22nd 2010

2. August 27-29th 2010

3. September 10-12th (Dell Rally Weekend)

4. September 17-19th

5. I'm coming even if it's in January..pick any date!

6. I'd prefer not to join you're little rubber knife gang!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. river_rat

river_rat Perplexed

Oddometer:
    There's a real good mix of stuff.....bring both!
  2. DNTOUCH

DNTOUCH Need more time to ride.

Oddometer:

What he said. ^^^

it will depend on how much time you want to spend up there. I may decide to bring both bikes, but that will be a game time decision.

I took my Vstrom up last year and the roads where pretty wild and fun in some spots and i also ventured out into some National Forest roads. If i had a better idea of which direction i should have been travelling in the National forest areas it would have made me grin even more, but it was interesting either way.

I want to focus on the "off road" stuff this year but it would be nice to hop in the "V" later in the day and tool around some also. I would also have a back up bike if something went wrong. :patch

Thats kind of the thing about this area its well suited for whatever you bring.
  3. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    I've mulled this over for a bit..as big chief of the fun..I, or We or The "Rally" isn't going to put on any official training or technique classes..you guys are free to organize anything you want..it's a touchy subject as far as putting it down as part of the itinerary so to speak..but if you guys wanna throw something together that would be awesome and I'm sure alot of people would appreciate it. The Rally starts into doing that sort of training and I gotsta buy huge insurance policies when we really are just getting together to have a good party..riding is what we do when we're not at the rally..so to speak :D It would be a great help to those who you know that are inexperienced or are leery of the off road techniques to do what others have said and buy the books and dvd's or enroll in a class...or go out with someone who will help you..If I'm up there any other time of the year..or even riding with you at the Rally..I'd be glad to help as I'm sure others are...

As far as bike size..I could do any of Cannonshot's routes on a Big GS..but I'd rather and it would be a lot more fun on a 650..now..that being said..I've been riding for 25 years and am pretty aggressive and comfortable on a bike..I'm also 6'4 and 250lbs of solid muscle (it's true)..now if I was a bit smaller and not one with the bike (kinda like the force)..I'd most likely have a real good time on a 200 sized machine..picking up a KLR a whole bunch of times is not fun..much less a strom or GS:D I'm also bringing two bikes..one for the dirty stuff and the other for..let's cruise up to the Keewanaw Peninsula two-up and have a date :D
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    With regard to rider preparedness, not every track is suitable for every rider or bike. I put out some other Eagle based tracks that will be more suitable for novice riders but will still be very entertaining and skill enhancing. I can never tell someone if a route will be easy or hard since these are relative terms. Often it is based on how fast you try to ride the stuff or whether or not you have some basic skills (e.g. riding in sand). That is why I try to include a lot of pictures of the routes so that riders can decide for themselves whether they are up to the task. Even though some folks may have struggled with the Northen Highland route, I'll bet they still had a blast.

What I would recommend would be to ride in smaller groups and try to solicit some experienced riders to come along to offer pointers and advice as obstacles and challenges come up on the trail. All this can be worked out informally. I know that there are some solid riders that would volunteer to ride along and coach some people in a small group during the rides if only someone would ask. I would bet most of this could be worked out via this thread ahead of time. From what you described, I doubt that any last minute skill training in the campground would have made that much of a difference since there would be little opportunity for meaningful practice ahead of the ride.

Regarding the publishing/selling of ride stuff, I hear this from people every now and again. I'm not inclined to sell stuff. I am inclined to share products that will make it easier for the next guy to enjoy this kind of recreation. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, resources, or inclination to research, scout , and distribute some of this stuff so it is great when people who can share do share. This site has been very beneficial to me and hopefully I am at least giving back as much as I have taken. Some of the richness of this forum has to do with the people that are willing to do things for others: whether it be hosting a rally (a huge undertaking for someone) or sharing repair knowledge, tools, tracks, entertainment, or whatever else will benefit some others. Hopefully everyone is willing to contribute as their circumstances allow - and without soliciting a fee. :thumb
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just so there is no misunderstanding, these routes are generally suitable for about any bike, but you will likely bend or break something down low if you try it on a low clearance bike like a V-Strom that doesn't have a strong bash plate. On the Keweenaw, you will have some steep sections that can be loose, some mud, some railroad ballast, and some sand (unless you take the big bike road route). I ride a DRZ, a KLR, and a DL1000. I would choose the DRZ first, the KLR second, and not choose the DL1000 for the more dirt oriented rides. There are plenty of road ride tracks that could occupy me for a week on the DL1000. I will also be publishing some more dual sport (dirt oriented) tracks prior to the rally so those that choose smaller bikes will have more rides available.

So to recap:

DRZ stay dirt oriented.

KLR can cover dirt and/or road routes.

DL1000 - stick to the road routes.

Interpolate your own bike into the above table as your skills allow.
  6. drthumper

drthumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah..listen to Cannon when it comes to this stuff..of course....and last year..when I rode the big route backwards..and was by myself..I'm really...really happy I was on a KTM 640E and not on a big GS..first..I had a great time..second..there was some slippery two track that I got into a bit of trouble in..that I'm pretty sure would have landed me seriously hurt had I been going the same speed on a big bike. The big bike will be brought along for me and the missus to cruise the paved roads..the backroads are beautiful up here..really..it's very fun and enjoyable cruising..keeps you on your toes but not like West Virginia or anything..(boy..that would be nice eh?) You can have a great time on any bike..on any road..know your limits..

LIke said above..you guys just do what you want..there is no limit to freedom when it comes to teaching one another..unfortunately..there's limits when it comes to organizing it and puting it on paper and selling it..I can say I'm gonna get you blasted on booze, feed you tons of red meat and butter and shove very loud music in your ears..but I cant say I'm gonna teach ya how to wheelie over a stump :D
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    [Mental Note]Talk about this stuff over breakfast.[/Mental Note]
  9. drthumper

Oddometer:
    LIke said above..you guys just do what you want..there is no limit to freedom when it comes to teaching one another..unfortunately..there's limits when it comes to organizing it and puting it on paper and selling it..I can say I'm gonna get you blasted on booze, feed you tons of red meat and butter and shove very loud music in your ears..but I cant say I'm gonna teach ya how to wheelie over a stump :D

and i'm lookin' forward to all that stuff too, gotta do it while that is still legal! :deal

and john, beware, i suspect there could be some very loooong breakfast discussions if we veer off the "riding techniques" course.... :lol3

paul
  10. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Na, they'll run out of food first.. :lol3
  11. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    For anyone debating between bringing a big bike or a smaller bike...my advice would be the less experience you have, the easier time you'll have on a smaller bike.

Hone your skills on a smaller bike, and you'll be a better big bike rider.

Last year, my wife ride rode her little TW200 on several of Cannonshots routes, and we ended up playing leapfrog with a big group of KTM 950's and such all day.

It was all they could do to keep up...they finally got past us when we stopped for ice cream! :lol3
  12. scarysharkface

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice.

By all accounts, you both had a splendid time too!

John
  13. drthumper

Oddometer:
    i think it was due to all the great rest you got in the U.P. RV!!! :lol3
    Matt and i were the dr's camped next to you guys. look forward to seeing you again this year!
    paul
  14. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Hey...'da forecast was for steady rain all that weekend...no way was I gonna rough it! :evil
  15. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Hey gang..Itchyfeet posted this on last year's forum..thought I might re-post it here:

Well its been almost 5 months since the rally and my rehab has been going good. Slow but steady. Still working to get rid of my limp but I am now without crutches or a cane. My big milestone was kicking the pain meds. That took me a couple of tries but after locking myself away for about a week the cold sweats, jitters, , shakes, diarrhea and sleeplessness went away. The pain is back but I'll work through that on my own. Detox isn't for the timid.

As for getting back on a bike my physical therapist is working with that as one of my goals, along with being able to put on my own socks and shoes. Its getting there. My wife though has a different plan which doesn't include another bike.

Mine was totaled/purchased by the insurance company. The proceeds of that sale all went to pay the deductible on our insurance. Would have loved to include pics of the xrays showing all the new hardware but I'm having trouble uploading them.

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement. I'm still reading and dreaming of riding again. My wife says I can go to the next ralley but only if she drives me there in the car! At least I'll have a designated driver.
  16. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet Too young to resist

Oddometer:
    Bonebag, drop off a couple posters at New York Deli on Casaloma so we can get them up.
  17. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet Too young to resist

Oddometer:

I know I could use the help!:D
  18. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Will do as soon as I get them printed...gotta have the website up and running first..and I'm waiting on a couple sponsors to give me the yea or nay...also got a wait for pinktoad to proof read the final :D

g
  19. Dudley

Dudley Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make no mistake, Mrs. Yooper-Bob rips on the TW. I know as I followed her until I bailed to stay with another rider. Heed the message, smaller IS better.
    Dudley
  20. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    I think this would be a fabulous idea....but we'll want bleachers alongside :lol3. Oh, and make it convenient walking distance to the beer trailer. :1drink