Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    So using your own language, what you actually did is justifying why you switched. It's more fun for you. But you are actually trolling when you tell people that what you think you need is what everybody has to think.

There are people here who have the absolute freedom to like the advantages of other bikes much more than the advantages of the Ducati. Every impression written down here is a personal opinion. Even yours.
  2. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JayD,
    If you have either S model it will need a stiffer spring.
    In the area of 9.5 or 10.0 vs the 8.5 that comes on it.
    This will eliminate the low riding in the rear and help it finish the turns.
    The standard models have a stiffer spring more in line with where the spring rate should be.
  4. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine two weeks ago. So far so good and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it...many smiles. Hello Rocket Sled!

I have no empirical data to share yet re: its offroad worthiness. I think it will do ok on forest roads but I am waiting to get the crash bars + header guard on it before I take it on any dirt roads. It seems nimble enough and the suspension seems competent. My biggest worry would be the stock tires.

For serious dirt, I will stay on my KTM 690E. Thats what it is designed for.

However, I think this bike will do just fine for some low-key cruisin when a forest road stands between me and my destination. Hell, I just spent the weekend riding (on the 690) 2ft deep ruts, 6ft whoops and other assorted nastiness with a guy on a loaded BMW R10 (?) - if'n you have skillz and a little common sense...

A comment on a few posts I have read. Compared to other Ducatis - I think the bike has very smooth power delivery through the powerband. That proviso at the beginning of the last sentence is important: other Ducati's kinda require you to upgrade exhaust/ECU to get smooth acceleration from low RPM to high. The Multistrada seems to do pretty well without the upgrades.

One thing I would like to improve on is the wind noise I get from the windshield (I am 6'4"). What are other's doing about the windshield? Anything?

Michael
  5. PeterGSA

PeterGSA NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey JayD, I couldn't agree more. I've had 7 BMW's over the last 5-6 years, from K1200's to '08GSA.
    I picked my 1200 Multi up and have had a ball just running it in. Look out once it's got 2,500 kms on it.:evil I found the BM's were getting a bit tired after 6 years of the same GS. They still go alright, but after riding the new 1200 Multi, they just don't compare. BMW will come back with a new GS that'll be great, but until then the Ducati has the goods for me.:clap
  6. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I was thinking along those lines too
    I did drop the front forks 1/2 an inch and it was better but need to dial it in
  7. Day13

Day13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jay D,

Were you near Hiawassee, GA last Friday afternoon? My friends and I saw a red Multi in the middle of a group of sport bikes on 175 between Hiwassee and Hwy64. We were on dualsports headed north and there were for or five sport bikes headed south.

I still remember the gumbo you brought to the KLR weekend in Tallahassee a few years ago. I was the guy on crutches riding the KLX. Good times!

Dave
  8. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that was me Dave

Infact heres a shot of the knackered rear tire of one of the bikes i was running with
    The Ducati did surprisingly well all things considered ;)

[​IMG]

Pretty hardcore group but not half as crazy as you showing up for a dual sport ride with casts and crutches!
    YOU are hard core my friend :)
    Glad ya'll liked the Gumbo, it was my pleasure
    Had a blast riding with you Fla boys !
  9. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked mine in the down position personally
    No buffeting with the wind hitting at chin level,
    I'm 5-11" btw
  10. JayD

JayD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, hopefully BMW will answer back
    We know they are capable
  11. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  12. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of the Laminar Lip, and Leo just got some fabricated for the new MilleDue. Here's a pic of mine with the LL installed.
    [​IMG]

Makes a HUGE difference. Smooth airflow, no buffeting. Absolutely transforms the bike, IMHO. Some tifosi think it's unsightly, but I disagree.

--Doc
  13. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jayd, Dr.Greg and Scooter.

My main concerns are 1. reducing wind noise (yes, I wear earplugs) and 2. protection from weather.

The lowest position on the stocker is the least noisy position for me. The top position results in some serious "whump-whump", low-bass wind noise.

I have seen the Calsci windshields and was wondering if anyone had experiences with them. Scooter: when you mention 'ducati site' which web site are you referring to? Multistrada.net?

Dr.Greg - if you dont mind me askin' - whats your height? From your description it does sound like the higher windshield is the way to go. Nice bike by the way. I have one of its identical twins :freaky .

Michael
  14. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  15. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    Holy shi*t, Bayliss got Multi. I have to buy one now :clap

D.

16. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Cug

I was reading a post of yours way back around page 100 or so where you were comparing the ride of the MS1200 to the BMW F800GS.

Ironically, I found quite the opposite to your comments. I find my F800GS is more vibey, especially in the upper RPM range. I found the MS to be very maneuverable in slow steering lock turns in a tight parking lot. ( not unlike the GS ) I did notice the fueling issue at lower RPMs but it didn't take me more than 5 minutes to realize I was riding a Duc with 7 year old BMW habits. As soon as I started utilizing the engine within the RPM range it was designed for, I was treated to an incredibly exhilarating ride! I also found much more leg room on the MS than on my F800.

Having said all that, I was just as happy to jump back on my F800GS after test riding the Duc.

In my opinion, I can't honestly compare it to other bikes like the GSA or R1100S or F800GS or any other bike I have owned. The MS is in my opinion, a bike unto its' own.
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    The reason why I don't care for this is that I don't ride in that rev range very often. It's plain not my style.

The issue is that I don't like the way the MS (at least without modifications to the FI system) requires you to ride does neither match my habits nor my taste. I plain don't like engines I have to rev to get usable behaviour. I also prefer Diesel engines over Otto (Gas) engines.

You can probably sum it up to the point that the MultiStrada does look like a bike that matches my style perfectly but when getting on it, this turns out to be completely wrong. It doesn't match my style at all. Therefore I would love it when having a blast on a curvy road, but I wouldn't like it every other day. There were just too many things completely wrong for me with this bike. Personal taste ...
  18. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah absolutely, motorcycles really are a "personal" thing. That is partially what intrigued me about your comparison. Here we are riding the same bikes and yet realizing quite different experiences with them.

In a perfect world, I would have as many bikes in my garage as my wife has shoes in her closet! :rofl
  19. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    It cracks me up when people complain about Multistrada not running too well below 3K. It's a motorcycle for God's sake, not a dump truck, SUV or tractor. You are supposed to rev it up. Leave lugging at 2K to diesels. Once you move RPM needle clockwise, you will discover a lot of fun :D

D.
  20. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    What about just having your own opinion? And leave others their opinion ...