For those that Fly & Ride????

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by riderddonald, Oct 22, 2012.

1. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Quick question for those who fly and rent a bike when they get there. Do you take your own helmet with you and do you have any problems with them as "carry-on". My wife and I are going to Costa Rica in a month to ride for a week and relax a few more. I plan on taking our own riding gear (atgatt) and will check most of it, however I want to carry my wifes and my helmets as carry-on. I plan on calling the airline first but that doesn't mean what they say on the phone will match what they say at the gate. Anyone "been there done that"?

Thanks
  2. cafebmw

cafebmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did that last month to Ireland, no problems carrying on a helmet with a carry on bag. I got some flack on the way home as I packed my gerbings controller in my carry-on by mistake. Security loved that one, but it made sense to them as my heated gloves were in the carry-on as well. I brought gear to California before doing the same thing. I would rather wear my own gear then get something that doesn't fit right.
  3. racer

racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely no problem at all over the past ten years. I always carry on all my riding gear so it doesn't get lost in transport. I have only had one complete search and that was this year in Barcelona, Spain returning from riding the Pyrenees. I usually pack things like gloves and toiletries in the helmet. I can see that heated gear may cause a problem going through security.

The only problem carrying my helmet on the plane is getting it in some of the overhead compartments, but that is usually only a problem on the small two or three seating row commuter planes.
  4. Robert^

Robert^ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had problems. I consider it a "hat" as far as what I am allowed to board with and what is counted as carry on. Similarly, I consider my gear to be a "coat" and "pants" or outerwear. A Roadcrafter will pretty much fully pack a carry on sized volume.
  5. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I can probibly fly in most my gear, it's comfortable enough and carry our helmets. I'm also taking my tank bag on as carry on. I've lined it with foam for my camera, extra lens, and HD camera. Helmets can be loaded with stuff and my wife can do another carry on. Should be good even if our luggage doesn't make it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
  6. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    Did it also last month and had no issues. was a lil cumbersome to carry due to shape. i just put it in my helmet bag and carried it by the strings. no flack from security at all. i had my scala installed on my helmet and they didn't even check it out.
  7. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no problem carrying on. I've got a standard helmet bag like this one:

[​IMG]

Gloves, sunglasses, etc. can go inside the helmet. When I flew to London and then on to Mumbai for Enduro India in 2010, we were very restricted as far as checked luggage weight went. I ended up taking my helmet bag as a second carry-on and wore my MC jacket and boots onto the plane. Not the most comfortable way I've ever flown, but it freed up a lot of space in my luggage... :lol3
  8. Wy'east

Wy'east Dust in the wind...

Oddometer:
    Throw another one in here. I've carried-on my helmets back and forth from the USA-Middle East and back again no problems. The helmets will fit under the seat in front of you on some ACs and in most bins.

As a side note, I always wear my jacket and pack it up with stuff for the flight. It's also comfy, looks good and occasionally you'll get some conversations going during a layover in the terminal pubs, especially with the helmet in tow. I leave the pads in - one less thing to pack and mess around with.

Enjoy the trip!
  9. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Yea we're planning on wearing our jackets, can't miss me I'm hi-vis yellow. I'm gonna travel in riding boots. The mrs plans on good hiking boots but I still want here to take her riding boots. Starting to get things ready, 18 days and counting.
  10. yobuddy

yobuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did a Edelweiss Trip in the Alps a couple of years ago with the wife. We just took an extra carry on with all of our riding gear in it. Worked out great, just cost a couple extra bucks. Been to Costa Rica, but without the bike, you will have a great time however you choose to do it.
  11. Inked

Inked Tattooed Biker

Oddometer:
    No problem....I just rode in Spain/France and also in Netherlands and Belgium...carried helmet on with no issue. My Arai fits in the overhead of the larger trans-atlantic planes, but not the smaller planes. I just slid it under the seat in front of me....No issues whatsoever with TSA.

Regards,
    John
  12. Wy'east

Wy'east Dust in the wind...

Oddometer:
    Quick suggestion on the shoes. Don't know what your riding boots are, but I envisioned something like the Sidi Adventures or Crossfires! I usually wear my Redbacks ("Austrailian" slip on boot, like a Blundstone's) on flights. They are easy to get on an off, very comfy, no laces or metal/plastic tabs to break off and are a nice camp boot too. If you don't know, don't be surprised that your feet and legs might swell a bit on the flight - it's normal. Enjoy!
  13. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    Sidi Canyons well worn in and comfy. Might be a pain in security but probibly no worse than laced shoes. I usually wear slip on while flying.
  14. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    Sitting in Asheville airport waiting to board. :deal

[​IMG]

It was a small plane so I carried on the essentials that I "had" to have. Helmet, boots, gps, spot, camera, water bottle :D. I checked the rest of my gear thinking I could always buy a jacket and pants if luggage was lost.
  15. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:

Love the boots with shorts look. Pick up any chicks in the airport? :lol3 In all seriousness have a great time where ever you're going.
  16. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    riderdonald,

It looks like you've gotten some good insight from the ADV community. For me personally I prefer to carry on/wear my gear and check my other necessities in a Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag. This makes an easy transition onto the bike.

Here is my entire kit for Costa Rica (the gear bag contained the ATGATT:
    [​IMG]

For Peru I decided to wear my gear but got some funny looks on the plane:
    <o:p></o:p> [​IMG]

Have an awesome trip!

Cheers,
  17. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a total ride report from a very recent fly & ride from Richmond Virginia to New Mexico. I mailed my helmet, boots and tools to the owner. I was gone a month, camping and a bit of this and that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841561
  18. riderddonald

riderddonald Lost rider

Oddometer:
    No problems at all at the airports. The first planes overhead was to small but they went under the seat just fine. Next plane they went in the overhead fine. We packed our mesh pants and my wifes boots but I wore my boots and we each wore our coats.
  19. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's no problem. You can wear everything on the plane. I've worn almost full gear on the plane on several occasions. Hardly any questions going through security.

I usually use the helmet as a purse. I stick my gloves in there, camera, mp3 player, book, whatever - and hold it by the strap. I think this is ideal. And it fits right under your seat. I don't see the point of carrying extra helmet bag and whatever - it's just extra PIA when you need to be travelling light.

Also, keep in mind that once you're on the plane you're free to do whatever you want. You can wear your bulky jacket/backprotector/whatever getting on the plane - and it doesn't count towards your luggage weight limitations - but once you're on the plane you can just stash all that gear in the overhead compartment. :deal