CJ Designs Tank Leak ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon OCers

Anyone else had issues with their CJ Designs Fuel tank?

Ours has a crack on the edge of the weld and leaks fuel, it would seem CJ Designs warrantee is 30 days ... that is as long as they trust their products for so it is on us to sort out....WTF:huh.

I contacted Craig and he wants to A, sell us a new one or B, send it to him for quote to fix???????

Has anyone else had this issue?, can someone else post pictures comparable to ours to see how they are finished please.

One of the bigger reasons we bought this bike was its fuel capacity and with CJ Design with a good name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:
    i know you have been getting screwed left and right here - but I would not take it out on CJ.

You have 2 choices -

1. send it back to CJ and I bet he makes it right so everyone is happy. {I imagine he comes along here any minute and speaks for himself...)

2. find a local welder and I bet he makes it right. CJ did not use some ancient Chinese secrete to weld that tank. you are going to end up paying more for a local fix but you wont have to wait for shipping......

my 2cents - send it back to CJ......
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Point is I shouldn't have too, not taking anything out on CJ other than CJ's stuff, keep it separate.
  4. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    talk about shitty luck....

pm sent
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    ...it's far from over mate ... way more to come :cry

Pm received, be in touch shortly.
  6. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    While the behind the scenes are behind the scenes why not use some metal putty to keep you going? Its a rock solid field fix and takes the pressure of you in the short term.
    If you make it here to perth I'll personally fix it for nada..... (no cost to you or CJ)
  7. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Don't be too nice to him Pete - he is only a Kiwi after all. :rofl

I am just showing him some pics of your tanks on my old bike.
  8. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Since your in LA any local welding shop should be able to take care of that with a TIG no problem.

Remove the tank, call around and it should be done while you wait.

Save time and money.

Did the tank come with the bike, if that is the case then not knowing the history kinda makes it a little unfair to take it out on the manufacturer since it could have been damaged my PO through negligence or such.

Just my .02

Good luck regardless
  9. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:
    your point is what.......?

that you are bitching like a little girl about a little one man shop not unconditionally replacing a part you didn't even buy from him - or your inability to bring it to a shop and have someone "figure out how it is finished".

I don't even own one of these but I bet I can guess how that seam is "finished"....... with a weld.

this is obviously is a thread focused on bitching, playing the blame game and trying to publicly slander a trusted member/vendor.

you want some constructive advice that will get the tank fixed:
    get over yourself, put your big boy pants on and just take the fucking tank to a local welder.
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big boy pants....hahahahahahahaa....

Here ends the lesson....:deal
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a side note...How much do you want for the tank?...
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yes it did come with the bike, to be fair the tank was unmarked, undamaged and unscratched, just leaking at the edge of the weld.

Three different professionals have looked at it and said it has defective welding at the base of the joint, I have engineering qualifications too and believe the same however whatever I say will be taken as bias so discount me from the equation.

I personally think two plates half welded is less than ideal, one single thicker plate fully welded would take less effort and give a better result, again this could be taken as bias.
  13. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Having seen the tank myself this doesn't appear to be the case.

Andi is just trying to find a solution.
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Struck a nerve with you eh... another keyboard toughie, please get of your mums computer and go back to play school.

I have a problem with a CJ tank, CJ Designs rang tonight to sort it out so good on them, not dragging anything else out I just want their product to work as it should which is not unreasonable in my view, too much for you ... get over it and if you are happy with substandard product then fool on you and given your level of input on here .....well what more would we expect from you.

Happy new year anyway.
  15. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    You have definitely had more than your fair share of shit on this trip. I think you probably hold some kind of record for experiencing major mechanical failures sequentially in the shortest mount of time, the farthest away from home!

With that in mind, why didn't you just have the first professional weld it up while you were there? Why bother the other two? Seems to me that would have taken care of the problem and saved you time. You still could have whined about it here afterward.
  16. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Two professionals are not tig welders but people in industry and qualified to make comment.

The third, a tig welder tried to fix it but with the close setup of the two brackets means you cannot fit the hand piece into the correct postion or close enough, he chased the crack so we gave up, so I did try and get it sorted locally with no fuss and at my cost.

Anyway thanks to CJs contacting me tonight it looks like we are all sorted.:clap .. and yes that IS worth making a mention about CJ's having customer service that does go the extra mile, that reflects well for them and they now know there is an issue which will hopefully pay dividends for future riders through lesser problems.
  17. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it's one less thing to worry about. Hope you get back on the road soon. :nod
  18. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I love CJ's work and have bought some small stuff from him but there is nothing wrong in talking about an issue with someone's product if you are sure that it was not due to mis-use / negligence.

If it was indeed a weld quality issue and if CJ acknowledged it, its good for both because the customer get his issue taken care of and the manufacturer gets valuable feedback and a chance to improve their product design/manuf process.

If i was thousands of kms away (like i am usually, in this part of the world) from the manuf. then i would definitely sort it out myself, but would make sure to leave some feedback to the manuf. and other users. If i was close by to the manufacturer and they agreed to replace the item, then i'd be happier.

No need to pile on the OP and call this as "bitching like a little girl".
  19. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Your post sums up how I feel, I did try to sort it and now CJ's are going to repair and test it so hopefully all good.

Not entirely sure what bones Capt. REDBEARD has with us as we have never offended him, never met him and to be honest don't want to, certainly his post is unhelpful and unwelcomed.

Anyway, hopefully all forward from here, unfortunately the tank leak is only one small part of our problem with the bike.
  20. Capt. REDBEARD

Capt. REDBEARD TWECO

Oddometer:

my bones are this:

it is tough enough to be successful with a small business - let alone a one man shop specializing in niche KTM adventure parts. The owner [CJ] goes out of his way for this community providing information, feedback, product testing and just general mechanical advice - far above and beyond what most contribute here - myself included.

so how do you treat this vendor [CJ designs]? you come on here and air your dirty laundry about how he will not unconditionally warranty a product he did not sell you. I do not think it is beyond reason to want you to ship back the product so he can at least take a look at it before he determines what the next course of action will be. Which one of your "sponsors" are going to unconditionally warranty items to the new owners of your DRs? - my guess is none.

I was under the impression that you had tried nothing and were all out of ideas.
    nothing bothers me more then people who know nothing and expect everyone else to fix their issues.
    I did not realize that you brought it to a welder whom could not fix it.

I imagined that the time and energy put into posting about your problem - would have been enough to solve your problem locally - I was wrong.

good luck sorting out all your other issues....