Update: hollywood2hollywood - RTW 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by hollywood996, Apr 30, 2008.

1. hollywood996

hollywood996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fellow ADVRiders, closing in on Hollywood after 4 months on the road, if you can call 8,000 km to go close.

Fotos as usual at www.hollywood2hollywood.com

Cheer,

Robb

Author: Robb
    Munich - Germany
    Mileage: 012929

The Best of Days

27 April 2008 - Isersberg, Austria to Munich, Germany - 165 miles

Sometimes, you open your eyes in the morning and from that very moment, you know it's going to be a really good day. When the sun pried my eyes open at 6 am in the mountain village of Isersberg, a storybook place nestled high among the jagged dragon teeth of the Hohe Taurern range in the heart of the Austrian Alps, I knew that one of those days had begun. From where I lay in bed, I needed only to peel back my eyelids to witness one of the most beautiful visual gifts of our trip: the huge window displayed the perfectly composed scene of the 12,000 foot snowcapped range, their eastern ridges and outcrops gently illuminated by the warmth of the just risen sun, and the half moon still lingering just above the peaks in a sky of the deepest blue. For 15 minutes, Wendy still in deep sleep, I just lay there and drank in nature's masterpiece and tried to conceive how the people of this village must enjoy seeing this scene in all of its seasonal diversity all year round. I felt such a deep envy.

Finally got myself out of bed and spent an hour taking photographs at intervals as the moon progressed and the hues of the morning light transformed. Still, nothing I captured evoked a tenth of the awesome beauty I witnessed lying in my bed. There are some things you just need to see for yourself..

We got a casual late start as planned. It was still cold at this elevation and we wanted to wait for at least a few degrees of warmth before setting off. Breakfast in the homey restaurant of the guesthouse, lots of good coffee, and packing began.

Many motorcyclists would give a small appendage just too experience the ride bestowed upon us that morning. It was still brisk, but the sky and the roads were clear and the Alps were infinite. From the moment we pulled out from the drive of the guesthouse, heaven in pavement began. Ten kilometers of perfectly smooth, winding banked turns down to the first valley, then up though two mountain passes, clean white glaciers extending down to the roadside, waterfalls so high that their streams nearly vapourized by the time they finally came back to earth. Hours and hours of Alpen heaven on the way to Munich, sun all the way, scarcely a moment with my jaw not open in star-struck amazement.

To all of my fellow bikers out there, life is good, my friends. Life is very good.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow.. you are making great progress.. I must have missed your update on your trip through Iran.. Gotta check on your blog!! thanks again for the updates and link to your blog. Best wishes for a continued safe journey :thumb
  3. hollywood996

hollywood996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And been riding on painkillers ever since...
  4. noahr

noahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you got any interesting reactions to the Sticker of Bush on your pannier? I know its says "worst president" but not everyone can know english that well.:ear :ear :ear

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
  5. hollywood996

hollywood996 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eventually, we put ared circle and slash through it so folks were 100% sure...
  6. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you create the map/linked photos on your blog? That's very cool!