PIAA 510 hook up

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AKBMW, Jul 1, 2005.

1. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am looking into hooking my 510's to my high beam switch. Any one do this. I have seen the touratech route. Is this the only way? I just want my 510's to light up with the high beam on the bike.
  2. KTOOMER

KTOOMER ad-vent-ure man

Oddometer:
    don't do it...that touratech harness deal is a nightmare..route a seperate switch
  3. Lost4Areason

Lost4Areason Roaming

Oddometer:
    I put a set of 510s on my 1150 last year and wired it so that the 510s come on with the high beam and go off when the high beam is dipped.

Using the harness and relay that comes with the lights I wired the positive and negative power leads to an auxillary fuse box I have wired to the battery (wiring directly to the battey with an inline fuse will do the same thing). Ran the wires to the lights. To power the relay switch I tapped into the high beam positive lead using a scotchlock connector that came with the lights. I also kept the 'toggle' switch that comes with the light so that I can turn off the driving lights if I want to. I zip-stripped the extra wire into a bundle and out of the way.
    All of this is layed out in the instructions that come with the lights. Not sure what you are doing this on, but there is a wiring diagram for the 1150 somewhere on this site (I think) that shows which high beam lead is positive, in case you can't figure it out with a multimeter. Also, you'll have to pull the gas tank to get at the battery and to run the wires (if you want a clean job). There are several threads that reference how to do this, which should be easy to find with a search. Good luck with the project.
  4. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ya right now i have a switch on the bars. But after my AK to AZ trip I would like to just wire direct. They shure are handy down south up here just too much sunlight in the summer.
  5. Lost4Areason

Lost4Areason Roaming

Oddometer:
    If you already have them wired and on the bike, linking them to the high beams should be an easy project. Being able to dip the driving with the high is money when riding. I almost didn't do that but am glad I did.

Sounds like a good trip. How long you gonna be riding for?
  6. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went on the trip. Thats when Ii figured out I wanted to run the 510's with the high beams. there's a link to my web site with pics.