2014 1190 Adventure Airbox

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by 2wdrift, May 5, 2014.

1. 2wdrift

2wdrift Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's official guys, the 2014 model's airbox still lets the dust through. My motor is fuct and I met another guy at ultimate performance who has the same issue with a 2014 bike.

I did ask Richard at Ultimate performance if they would help me to fit the unifilter back in January and he told me that it was not necessary as the 2014 model didn't have the problem.

Will try to fight for a new motor from ultimate performance or at least complete rebuild of the motor.

Not impressed with KTM, Ultimate performance and the way that the mechanic at Ultimate Performance tried to blow it off as a valve clearance issue while talking to someone else.

Let the games begin...
  2. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    subscribed. :lurk
  3. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im worried as well just pulled my airbox to see this. Ordered uni filter kit from dealer couple weeks ago hasnt showed yet.

Attached Files:

4. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    That is ugly!!!
  5. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, was blown away because I thought they had a better fix for 14's. Im now wondering if any damage was done and what my next move is? I did tell the dealer today about it and they will talk with ktm. Im hoping the uni filter shows up asap. Bike has 1800 miles and prob half are off road but this weekend we did the first major dusty roads so far but it was a dusty 2 day ride. I have not pulled apart air filter till now and only did because the bike would not start this morning and after sitting a bit and putting airbox back together it tried to fire and I gave it about 1/2 throttle and it fired. Ran fine after that??
  6. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a curious 990 guy and have never seen an 1190 air box/filter setup. Do you think the paper filter is passing dirt? Seal on box cover? What? Just looking at parts diagram, I am puzzled as to what would be allowing this amount of dirt/dust to get through......
  7. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
  8. Suddenstop

Suddenstop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that in some cases the top seal between filter and box cover leaks and allows air to bypass filter. I do not think the paper filter passes dirt.

Since its a sealing issue, it can be affected by installation, as well as tolerance of the parts. I also think putting a high temp grease on the seals would work to fix it.

My theory is that the unifilter kit works since they provide not only a new filter unit, but an additional part which is a "gasket" that goes over the top. I think it's this extra gasket that turns an iffy seal into a good seal.

These are all just my humble opinions, after inspecting my own 2014 airbox and installing the uni. Note my 2014 airbox was not passing dust and was sealed.
  9. chadscamaro

chadscamaro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I would say top seal is the key there was dust all around that seal in and out. I was shocked when I opened the box!
  10. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if SW7 or Rottweiler will offer a full foam filter kit, eliminating the whole ugly air box. I have one on my 990 and am very happy with it. Could be some warranty issues with newer bikes I guess???
  11. WickedKTM

WickedKTM Lost

Oddometer:
    They claim coming soon at the bottom of this page...

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/Adventure1190.html
  12. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looked at mine tonight and there is a little dust in the airbox. I will order the uni but it looks to me like it may be the bottom of the paper filter that is leaking. It takes a small hand ( hey kids have to earn their keep) but if you push on the bottom edge of the paper filter it seems to give quite a bit? Almost like the holder is not pushing it tight against the box? Just my observation but ???
  13. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. MotoWhaler

MotoWhaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Came here to celebrate my '14 1190 Adventure I purchased today and am greeted with this. :-( Maybe I can return the bike tomorrow before the reg and sales tax go through. Bummer. Is this a problem on every bike or..?
  15. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Not if you install the foam unifilter kit. Paper doesn't cut it with off road riding.
  16. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Personally I think having an air box on an off road bike is a very good idea. Its one more barrier for water to get through in stream crossings, and keeps the incoming air cooler than open elements.

An oiled foam filter should have been standard on these bikes. Even my Super Tenere had an oiled filter....

Thankfully the bike is such a riot to ride, I've never thought about the air filter while on a trip :lol3
  17. m25443

m25443 n00b

Oddometer:
    Cool. The other KTMs are listed as 8-15 hp increase from the air intake. Any idea how realistic those #s are? Another 10 hp would be nice!!!
    :clap

-Mike
  18. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Yes, paper is not good. But in these cases it is not the paper the culprit. It is something that is not sealing properly as air (and dust) *bypasses* the filter.
  19. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Unifilter; cannot believe the amount of dirt shown in the photos. :huh
  20. okeanis1234

okeanis1234 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys,the dust in the photos is from off-road use of the bike?I mean,all of you with dust in the engine,use the bike for off road?
    I use the bike for on road only and i want to know if i also have the same issue...