K1200S vs R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Drybru, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Bob Southgate

Bob Southgate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that surprising. I have both the K1200S and the R1200GS and the GS is 8-10% more econimical than the S.

But if I had to sell one of my bikes it would be the K that would go. The GS is a much better all rounder and it would be madness to sell it. Luckily I don't have to sell:D
  2. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I find the GT needs stronger steering input to initiate turns in tight twisties and throttle to maintain a line in a tight turn. The GS is easier to ride in the twisties, but (imo) not faster.

You sir, are getting a great bike (HP2Sport). Couldn't stop looking at it in Daytona. Details are delightful.
  3. John Harden

John Harden Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1. I've been mulling over the idea of a R1200RT as my next bike after this GS Adventure. I really like my Adventure, but like the idea of a dedicated street bike, then a small, 250cc dual sport for trail riding on single track near where I live.

My local BMW dealer can't keep 1200RT's in stock. The only one they have is sold and waiting on the new owner to pick it up.

You might check them out. 110hp and lighter than the GS Adv.

Regards,

John
  4. Heloflights

Heloflights Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure this is a consideration for you or not but if you are a DIY wrencher the R12 is a much easier machine to maintain on your own vs. the K12. From routine chores to tire changes it is no contest....
  5. Drybru

Drybru Drybru

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who replied to my inquiry..your insights were very helpful. I am leaning towards a new GS, but may also consider a used '03 K1200GT and perhaps look for a used X Country to use on the trails.