Nothing to do this weekend. 6/13-6/15 (WI)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by inglysh, Jun 11, 2014.

1. inglysh

inglysh Completely Custom

Oddometer:
    So I just realized that my wife is taking my son camping this weekend and as a result I have some time to myself.
    I'd kind of like to get on the motorcycle and go somewhere but I don't have anything that is coming to mind off the top of my head. Any suggestions on what would be a good weekend ride on short notice?

I live in Oskhosh and I'd really like to get out of the 'area'. I'd prefer instead to head north-west. Where are some great rides up there? I've ridden around Hayward, Spooner, Rice Lake and Phillips. I've also been up by Minocqua, Woodruff, and Rhinelander.

First thing that comes to mind is making it a fishing trip and seeing what lakes I can find. I'd probably stick to the Minocqua area since that is where I know.

Since she is taking the damned tent... I am going to have to find alternate accommodations. ugh.
  2. Cheddarhead

Cheddarhead Perenial Noobie!

Oddometer:
    Pewaukee....Lakes, Rivers, Kettles, and Moraines
    Sunday "is" Fathers Day...unfortunate that you can't share "this" day with your son.

Option #1: June Sprints at Road America: Not riding...and definitely not fishing...but a good time, especially if you have ability to either Sat or Sun.

Option #2: Head north...to Copper Harbor and the UP. Chase the waterfalls and Lighthouses.

Option #3: Head west. Explore the "driftless" area (west of Tomah, south of I-94. Ride the "alphabet roads". Landmarks / destinations / nav points would include:
    Spring Green
    Wildcat Mountain / Minduro Cut
    Mount Horeb (Troll Burgers!)
    New Glarus
    Roxton Falls (great charcoal - rotisserie chicken!)

All are easy - peasy rides within the region...well-suited for a 1 - 2 - 3 day getaway.
  3. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
    Minocqua is kind of my old stomping grounds. I'm from Mercer and spent a lot of time on roads in that area, mostly between Mercer and Presque Isle. There's tons of good roads all over Vilas County. Just google maps Boulder Junction and see what I'm talking about. This being fishing/tourist season (at least not on a holiday weekend though) you're liable to spent a bit more on a hotel room, and get stuck behind some FIP plates pulling a party barge, or some schmuck pulling an "ass Tracker" looking for the next lake or bar, which ever comes first.

I'd go west. Start at La Crosse and head south, somehow getting to Platteville, then if you wanna take the evening there school's out for summer so the hotels should be wide open. Then the next day start in Darlington and head east on 81. If 81 isn't doing it for you just pick some lettered county road and see what's down it. For the most part you can't go wrong. OR you can just power it back home. It'd be a long day but fun.
  4. C Squared

C Squared Now without TURBO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hill climb in Kewaskum Sunday