PA to Arkansas

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 97audia4, Dec 31, 2014.

1. 97audia4

97audia4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have been a long time lurker at the same time I have learned a lot from the discussions on here but I have a trip coming up in June that will take me and my 2011 fz8 from Lancaster Pa to The HUB in Arkansas which is about 1100 miles or so, and once I do get there we will be riding the twisties for three days then Ill be riding home. I have taken in account for two days to get there and two days to get back home. I have done rides in the mountains for day trips and made it home after 650 miles or so I figure 600 miles on the interstate should be a realistic expectation. I was trying to figure out on google maps how to find hotels or motels along my route. I only need clothes for three days so Ill be bringing just a backpack plus a tank mount bag. Anything you guys think I'm over looking?
  2. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hotels are easy to find on Google maps. Just zoom into the area you want to find a hotel in, and then search for "hotel." A list will pop right up. Play around with it a little bit, and you'll get real good. But, I don't think you need to worry too much about lodging. If you are along the highway you'll have many options at most every third overpass.

Try to find a way to strap your backpack to your motorcycle. It will really wear on you to wear it all day long. Rox straps are very good btw.
  3. 97audia4

Oddometer:
    Yea I started to think about that too, this is my first decent mileage trip alone till I meet up with the group in Arkansas. I found a motel 6 along the route for cheap about 550 miles into the route.
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    The state of AR is MC friendly & has good info for riding there. I like the riding area centered around Mountain View & the Days Inn there is a good stay spot that MC people often use.
  5. 97audia4

Oddometer:
    once I get there I will be meeting up with about 10 other people at the HUB, they are coming from the west coast.
  6. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad you can't take longer getting there. So much good riding between here and the Ozarks it's a shame to slab it there. A few years ago I went to a Triumph event at the Hub and it took me 5 days to get there but that included a night at Deals Gap and a dipping down into Alabama and Miss. If possible try to take your time either on the way out or back and route yourself through the Smokies and follow the mountains home on the back roads.
    You're gonna love the Ozarks. Push Mt was a blast.
  7. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Indianapolis is right at halfway, if you're slabbing it. I-70 / I-44.

Should be easy to find a decent place to stay in the Indy area.

I'd drop some coin on a nicer place than a Motel-6, but that's just me.

Hyatt Place, or similar for me. Someplace that's clean and comfortable, has breakfast, and caters to something other than transient construction workers and homeless people.

If you're running the parkways across Kentucky, Elizabethtown is about halfway. A couple years ago, on a similar trip, I stayed at Beaver Dam Inn in Beaver Dam Kentucky, just west of Elizabethtown. Kind of a no-name hotel that had been a Days Inn. I was worried about it, but the place wasn't too bad.

Another thing about running the parkways across Kentucky, is the scenery will be a little nicer, with less traffic. Lexington and Paducah are nice. Cairo is interesting. From Cairo to The HUB will be some nice 2-lanes through Poplar Bluff and Mountain Home.
  8. this is a RV

this is a RV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I-44 to Cuba Hwy 19 to Hwy 160 to Hwy125 into Ar. This will keep you moving and make the ride fun.
  9. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Some of the best riding in that part of the country.

Would eat up a lot of time, though, and will be at the end of his day coming to The Hub.

Might be best to take that route home, so he could be fresh and enjoy it...
  10. 97audia4

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys, I wish I had more time but I only have two weeks of vacation this year and seeing how busy the trucking industry is getting I'm happy to get what I can. Next year when I have 3 weeks and a week of personal days available to use and Ill have more time to save for a lengthy trip like that. This is my first big trip alone so I'm trying to be prepared as possible.

Just ordered these saddle bags and 12v waterproof access port so I can use my phone for gps.

[​IMG]
  11. 97audia4

Oddometer:
    I might be able to swing an extra day on the ride out, Im starting to crunch numbers this week and I am going to try to stick to a budget.
  12. 97audia4

Oddometer:

Only reason besides how cheap a nights stay was the, the bottom level rooms door access is big enough my bike in and out of.
  13. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This route includes some of my favorite places including:

1. Route 58 to Bedford, IN.
    2. Route 450 to Loogootee, IN.
    3. Cannonball Bridge to St. Francesville, IL.
    4. Route 160 & 142 across So. MO.
    5. Peel Ferry, AR.

https://goo.gl/maps/sfQTL

NFE