KTM 9th Annual KTM Adventure Rider Rally

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Don Lemelin, Feb 17, 2012.

1. The Professor

The Professor Minky says ride

Oddometer:
    Rescue 1 awaiting next call!

[​IMG]

C2 over and out.<label for="rb_iconid_26">[​IMG]</label><label for="rb_iconid_24">[​IMG]</label>
  2. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    My pleasure!! be sure an PM me your address so I can mail you the maintenance instructions and the springs for your stock pegs.

Cheers,

Luca
  3. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Home late last night:snore. Thanks for the hospitality and the tracks Applejam:clap:dutch
  4. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    It was a GREAT ride home.
    We got to discover some new-for-us Forest North of Sisters and over to Lake Billy Chinook. AWESOME stuff :norton

Mike, Gathering glasses from the bottom of the creek.
    He even "Grinns" underwater :rofl

You betcha !! Thanks for riding the KTM Train with us,
    I'm sure it was an impressive display for the forest critters we scared back into the woods :1drink

The Santiam Wagon Road is part of the OBDR Route 3, so I can't take credit for that,
    ...but it's just so good, it HAD to be included in tracks to Bend :norton

Nice to have met you, always nice to put a face to a handle.
    and I forgot to thank YOU for all your great Tech contributions and additions to Orange Crush,
    ...your help there is a big deal for us all.
  5. BlockPass

BlockPass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Santiam Wagon trail is a _must ride_ for everybody! That was one of the best sections I have ridden in a long time, with the power lines we rode in Bend pretty close... Thanks Apple Jam!
  6. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Backstory there is at Kingfisher campground I took a dunk in the ice cold stream with my expensive glasses on (I forgot them) and I came up without them, doh!

[​IMG]

I froze looking for them with no luck, then Apple Jam fell in the water from the log looking for them. :eek1

Finally Jimmy Lewis said he had sharp eyes and went out on the log and spotted them 4ft down under some rocks, he was right! THANKS JIMMY!!!

Grinns/Mike then dove underwater and rescued the glasses, whew! THANKS MIKE!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:

You forgot one of the pictures that added to the beard. Remember the shot-ski? How come the banquet room looks empty and you guys are still there drinking?!

Good to meet you guys this weekend!

Brent

[​IMG]
  8. Wonko T. Sane

Wonko T. Sane Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meh. I thought you guys were all jerks.:hide

(I had a blast!) :happay
  9. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup another hard day of riding:D:D

[​IMG]
  10. cyborg

Oddometer:
    A few of my pix from Apple Jams excellent Hood River meetup and ride.

A big crowd a AJ's place, this was before even more showed up.

[​IMG]

The Wisconsin Wrecking Crew, CJracer/Craig and Zorchdog/Jeff
    (AJ's better half on the left, putting up with all these ADV roughnecks)

[​IMG]

Lots of service work being done in AJ's shop

CJracer rebuilding AJ's auto-clutch, and bent front rim and flat tire, and broken rear brake slave, and worn-out rear tire, and, and...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike/Grinns was changing tires for other bikes like a banshee, I lost count of how many he did!

[​IMG]

Camping in AJ's backyard

[​IMG]

Then off onto the fun tracks and trails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jimmy arrives alone at the Kingfisher Campground in OR and says "You must be Adventure riders!" to our big AJ group that was already settled in.

[​IMG]

The partying starts, and ends late...

[​IMG]

A cool log at the campground

[​IMG]

That Zorchdog turned into his bed for the night

[​IMG]

I chatted with Jimmy about his giant Redverz tent palace, as we packed up to leave next morning.

[​IMG]

We crossed paths with Apple Jam a few times, but he was always going another direction! :lol3

[​IMG]

Later in the day, while waiting in a HOT road construction stop we spot Suttle Lake next to us and make a detour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's where this pic comes from

[​IMG]

We dry off and get ready to ride the final run into Bend

[​IMG]

Arrival, let the KTM Rally fun begin!

[​IMG]
  11. EdGear

EdGear Edventurer

Oddometer:
    BillyD and I may have been the last Advriders to leave the Rally
    I rode to Stonyford CA to visit Tmex and BillyD hopefully made it home.
    I really hope to do the OBCDR 5 from Goose Lake to Silver Lake.
    Tried to organize rides coming and going and no luck.
    Reallly liked the Rally.
    When is KTM going to figure out we want a single cylinder adventure bike?
    Demoed the 690, no vibs, but what about an adventure?
    Did you demo the 500 EXC? Perfect or what?
    Best time was meeting Advriders.
    Home tomorrow with discovery of a route from 16 to Barryessa Knocksville.
    What an Adventure
  12. littlebull

littlebull tiny mighty mo

Oddometer:
    A shameless plug.
    [​IMG]

My little bike was greatly outnumbered.
    [​IMG]

Jace from Vancouver. We rode around the east side of Newberry Crater and up Paulina Creek on Friday. Saw a bunch of other rally riders that day.
    [​IMG]

Sheridan Shelter.
    [​IMG]

I rode Saturday with Jim from Bend, also on a 450. We thought we had missed the regular road up to the shelter. When we came to a sign that pointed us uphill to the shelter, we thought we had found it. Jim led the way as we rode up the rocky, root-strewn, and sandy single track. I met my match on a steep and deep sand hill preceded by a sharp turn. Jim was in front and made it up one more hill than I did until digging himself into the deep silt. The &#8220;right&#8221; road? Uh... no. Turns out it was the "Most Difficult" OHV trail that the route map suggested as a way down only for the small bikes. The gravel road up was just ahead, and we finally made our way up to the shelter. We both agreed, however, that we liked the single track and I think we&#8217;ll both be back once the rains harden things up a bit.

Irish Lake. I&#8217;ve lived in Oregon for almost twenty years, and I can&#8217;t believe I hadn&#8217;t been here yet &#8211; beautiful place. The road in was a kick, too.
    [​IMG]

I had a terrific weekend. Everyone I met was having a good time, and I enjoyed hearing all the stories of rides, races, and wipeouts. I can&#8217;t think of a group of people I&#8217;d rather hang out with. You guys rock!
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  13. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hooked up with Spencergt66 in Shasta at Alleycatdad's place ( who had last minute work commitment). Alleycatdad preloaded his GPS with routes to Bend offroad.

[​IMG]

On route to the border ( Thanks for the great tracks, Steve!!!).

[​IMG]

Secluded campground at the start of the OBDR #3, the crowned jewel of the OBDR's.

[​IMG]

Shortcut to Crater Lake over Huckleberry Mountain.

[​IMG]

Traveling the old wagon roads on the OBDR #3.

[​IMG]

Late lunch at Crater Lake with Spencer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took an offshoot of the Windigo Paas, a nasty, rocky, rutted trail along Timpanogas, Summit and Crescent Lakes... getting to Manleys Tavern at 10:30pm. 14 hrs. on the seat and 90 more to Bend... in extreme cold. Thanks for trusting my route, Spencer!

[​IMG]

Taking instruction in Jimmy Lewis's tech. seminar. Great info. from a greater person. Jimmy's the real deal. His training is invaluable.

[​IMG]

Good company with other passionate 950 owners. Jeff and CJ are big men with big spirits and big hearts.

[​IMG]

Brew pub stop with the Nevada crew, Kullen and Paul Q after a Jimmy L. clinic. Then it was off to Triangle Butte and the steep drop on the way to 3 Creeks Butte.

[​IMG]

Two great Guys. Jimmy Lewis... because he cares about his students, his clinic work and the sport. And he's beyond gracious, beyond belief. And Spencer, for being a totally cool travel rider...always 100% prepared, a human Swiss army knife and 990 Adventure bike man handler. I didn't see you drop that loaded gun once!!

[​IMG]

KTM BEND rally was awesome... a bit overwhelming with 200 plus riders all at once. Sorry for those I missed offering my personal hello. You are all my heros. Thanks for sharing in the Adventure Obsession.

I'd also like to dedicate this ride to my father, who three weeks previous to the Rally was ravaged by a severe stroke. Rather then delay the inevitable, he chose to move on quickly... I believe he merely wanted to travel along on the ride from above and insured all of our safety. I love you Dad.

[​IMG]
  14. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, it was great to ride a loop with you and Bill :thumb

[​IMG]
  15. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

We just ran into this crew in Crescent City and had a pile of margaritas and
    beer:freaky

We stopped to rest a bit an the way home!:lol3

[​IMG]
  16. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Touched as hell!! Got serious dust in my eyes...

God speed to your dad:cry and props to you for sharing the dream with his spirit, memorializing him with the ride.
  17. rburkat

rburkat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my story and a video of china hat powerline in case you're missing it as much as I am. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Pcvj_GMcA

My bike looked liked this 2 days before I left for the rally and I didn't think I would get to go. ( Hmm, maybe I can got with just one cylinder?)
    [​IMG]
    I'm so glad I rushed and got it all working for this ride.

I left Vancouver at 10pm Monday night and hooked up with Ian and Darryl Tuesday morning near Seattle. We had a great fast paced ride down to Hood River.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Jeff for putting us up on his property where we had a great meet and greet with tools, meat, and beer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the rally we quickly compiled a great group of beer drinkers and only the great trail selection of our local guides could pull us away from our Bend brewery crawl.

Lets go "there"...
    [​IMG]

Ok..are we "there" yet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite trails were the unnamed single track by the canal we rode the last day and the China Hat powerline area.

I left Bend via the China Hat Powerline trail and made a 2 day run on back roads and pavement back to Canada.

All loaded up with my Giant Loop and tent but getting in one last ride...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Pcvj_GMcA

Big thanks to Ian, Darryl, Justin, Jeff, Claude, Matt, Bartek, Scott, and all the other riders. Until we ride again,
  18. snowhawk jockey

snowhawk jockey Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer:
    The other Center of the Universe: Bend, Oregon
    Great pics of the scene at Apple Jam's.
    That power line ride video looks excellent! I sure have spent a minute or two, on those lava fields, wondering if I was going to make it out...:norton
  19. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    had a great time... nice meeting you Radek.

Here are a few pics from our Rally the bottom pic is a wreck that we came up on. We dragged the guy from the car and it rolled 7 times over 70 feet.. crazy scene.. 2 dead deer flew out of the truck.. he was hunting at night.. what made him crash ? deer in the road.. FK N A

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]