Is Riding in the rain Really that dangerous?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by c3eh, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    I follow the Dragon picture threads, really lane choice seems about the same........
  2. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  3. blkhrt81

blkhrt81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a cheap two piece suit at a gas station in Spain for 20E, made a world of difference in a week of off and on rainy weather including a run across the Limousin Plateau in heavy rain. They take up next to no room and can make a real miserable ride only mildly uncomfortable.
  4. bimmerx2

bimmerx2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. c3eh

c3eh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first time he falls it almost looked like he slid on the green(moss?) that was on the side of the rode, the second time it looked like he made no effort to turn and just rode into trees.

and bimmerx2
    damn it still amazes me that such traction is possible in rain, although i'm sure its just physics momentum+mass+tire compound=grip well that was more like math ha still impressive though.
  6. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chen Shin trials tires and a mossy road - been there, done that.

Seriously - zero grip, damn all directional control.

Pete
  7. Toren

Toren n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode in rain for the first time yesterday. Before that I had been through heavy fog and some light sprinkling, but no real rain. As I was getting ready to leave work the sky turned black and the wind picked up, I knew I was in for an experience. It started pouring down and just got worse, strong wind and heavy rain with thunder and lightning. I took curves carefully, concerned about the slick road, but the bike didn't really have any trouble with traction. I was very pleased with that. By far the worst thing was visibility, that was unnerving. As long as I was moving it was mostly OK, but every stop it would start to fog. Ultimately I just took it slow and was lucky that it didn't last long.

The wife had a good laugh, after I got home OK. My pants (just khakis) were soaked, so my boots were wet inside, and my jacket only kept some water off. Of course this happened 2 days before my new jacket and pants that actually have waterproof liners arrive.

The bike is a 2005 F650GS with Metzeler Tourance tires. I am a 30 year old n00b and have been riding to work (just 10 miles each way) nearly every day other than rainy ones since I got it the end of August last year.
  8. ParrotheadJeff

ParrotheadJeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats :D

That's my favorite kind of ride :deal
  9. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    "polish" the inside of your visor with dish soap.

put some on a paper towel (some will say not to use paper towels because they can scratch the visor, but I've never had that actually happen), and apply it to the inside of the visor. rub it in, so to speak, until you can't really see the soap anymore. it will leave behind a nearly invisible film that will prevent water vapor from sticking to it...thus, no fog.

don't get it wet, though. once it comes in contact with liquid water (as opposed to water vapor), the film is washed away.

as long as you do not get it wet, it will keep the visor from fogging.