NomadGal's Year on the Road

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by NomadGal, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Tallahassee and can offer a place to stay on your way back west.
    PM sent
  2. Feyala

Feyala Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the bolts holding on the rear sprocket! For some reason mine randomly loosened up and caused me to throw a chain when I tried to brake and then accelerate... also make sure your rear axle nut is tightened properly.

Good luck! Chain flying off is no good, it shouldn't do that! :eek1
  3. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    LOL Pete, guess you missed the fact that I am waaaayyyyyy past Tallahassee!
    Still, I appreciate the gesture :D
  4. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    I think my chain stretched out some more, I'm getting close to having put 17,000 miles on it. Not sure how long they last for though. I'll check the bolts, make sure they aren't' loose like you said.
  5. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jason!
    As for the positive ju-ju, well, today I hit a hard one......
    Trying to stay positive even though I just heard from GoalZero, and it turns out that the show I wanted, and every other one, has already been booked out. So no work on the horizon.
    Somehow traveling with unlimited funds wold be so much nicer than seeing what you have dwindle down to almost nothing.
    Still, like you said, positive juju, I will find something once the need arises!
  6. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Jason just had to put up his finger! What's up with that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now this pic makes me think of Louisiana, not sure why. Guess I am close though

[​IMG]
    Jason's bike and Spirit

[​IMG]
    Jason helping out removing the cotter pin

[​IMG]
    I was the only one there, wow, so peaceful! Made a tent for Spirit, knew it would rain that night.

Lying in my tent last night, reading, the wind was howling! The leaves in the trees were making a lot of noise, and I swear that sometimes it got so loud that it sounded like a jet flying overhead.
    When I went out to take a leak I noticed the stars up in the sky. They seemed very near and bright. It was cold though, so I rushed back into my sleeping bag for warmth.
    This morning when I woke Spirit's seat ha frosted over again. Yikes! Somehow I seem to toughen up though, and find that breathing cold air is wonderful. The sun peeked out in no time and warmed up the campsite.
    Made some coffee sitting in the sunshine, and some wonderful pancakes as well!
    For some reason, even though I wanted to stay there another day, I felt I had to break camp and go south.
    So I took my time and packed up.
    The campsite had a shower too, and boy did it ever work. The water was scalding hot and came out so fast that it basically hurt. I am most definitely clean now :D
    I took off toward McHenry, they had a library that was actually open, lol.
    Sitting here now, typing up my RR, and hoping to hear back from Pat (sk8rdi16)

The library is teensy, but with wi-fi.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kym Garraway painted the murals ill over the library.

I'm heading toward another campsite tonight, a free one. Hopefully it won't be as cold, but I'm told that it probably will be.
    Oh well.
  7. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    I will give it a try, the only drawback is that I don't have cel reception everywhere. Especially not when I'm riding in back country, which I mostly do.
  8. sk8rdi16

sk8rdi16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to an oil change tomorrow!! Stay warm tonight!
  9. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. if it has this much flex laying "links up" it is completely possible to jump off the sprockets without much cause or reason ..

[​IMG]

.. threw mine twice before I got nervous enough to quickly buy a new sprockets/chain combo .. the second time it jumped off it wedged itself between the frame and the rear sprocket .. mine jumped off from a start when it was under acceleration loading and thankfully didn't chew up anything seriously ..
  10. agent of orange

agent of orange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i had to do a double take at the chain to realize what way it was laying on the floor!! wow that is a bit of flex there. On another note How much traveling does spirit have on the chain and sprocket set that is one him/her ( i know men usually refer to things in the feminine) ??? I know after only street riding for years the whole ritual of cleaning and lubing my chain is one i have to drill into my head.
  11. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    I am guessing my chain has about 17,000 miles on it. I know I am missing some o-rings :D
    As soon as I can afford it (i.e. find another job soon) I will invest in a new chain and sprocket. I've not even been back on the road 3 weeks! Yikes, I've splurged too much! Again! :D
    Getting used to the cold, it's been 28 degrees the last 2 nights. Seeing my breath is quite entertaining, lol
  12. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I am guessing my chain has about 17,000 miles on it. I know I am missing some o-rings :d"

If you have a Paypal account, I think some of us may donate to the 'lost chain account'...
  13. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

girl, i thought you'd be more carefull about the company you keep

:hide
  14. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    I had no idea what I was getting myself into! :D
    It was fun staying at his house, he has a nice family and two great dogs. One of which loved me a tad too much, still have welts all over my body! Haha, he meant well, and was totally adorable for such a big puppy!
  15. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Spent the night at Airey Lake in the southern part of De Soto National Forest.
    Found it easily and was glad that there was only one other tent there. The place was so small that I couldn't figure out where another camper would pitch a tent.

[​IMG]
    The only spot I saw was up a little incline. I loved it! Queen of the Hill for a night :D

The night was indeed cold again, but I just hung around in my sleeping bag until the sun warmed up the meadow.
    The fact that I actually had reception made lounging around more pleasant, I was able to say hi to my daughter and some friends and see how they were doing.
    Once the sun was up I got to see my surroundings a bit better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I walked up to the geese to take their picture, I didn't need to bother they came to me, hoping for some food.

I am currently waiting at PJs coffee in Gulfport for sk8rdi16 (pat) to get off work
    While sitting here I bumped into Richard ReadySet Go is his wife, but they both ride.
    He recognized Spirit sitting in the parking lot. LOL, she's famous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Spirit in front of the ocean in Long Beach MS
  16. PHOTON PHIL

PHOTON PHIL THe REAL poser

Oddometer:
    I,m in :clap ride safe.

17. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    Uhmmmmm ADV does not approve me giving Paypal account info!
    I can casually mention that I do have a blog!
    It has been recently fixed up :D
    :raabia Look toward where the heart points :lol3
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    if ya make it to memphis let me know
  19. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    HOLY COW!!! I DID GET TWO ROADSHOWS!

:rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla :rilla
    Turns out there is another gal called Esther, and my email got tossed in her mailbox. Yay! Now I've got to get my but in gear and make it to Pharr TX by the 13th of this month! Hopefully I have time to put on a new chain and sprocket, I'm gonna need them for the ride down! I am so excited!
    These are Mike's words I got in my email:
    I am going to book you out today. From the looks of your site/blog you are just the kind of person we want to have representing us.
    I’m going to get them to send you out some gear so you can use it and talk about it.

I'm stoked! Wish me luck! Yeah finally get a way to charge my laptop and Nook in the middle of nowhere!
    Anyone living near Pharr in Texas?
  20. NomadGal

NomadGal Esther

Oddometer:
    :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia :raabia
    A heartfelt thank you for Jason (nanohiccup), Thomas (CharlestonADV), Granville Rouillard(ADV?), and Bruce Bott (ADV?) for your donations! A new chain coming right up!