The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
  2. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

That's good stuff.

"You get the age old honeymooner's choice, do you want it in your mouth, or in your eye?"

Never seen any serious review like that one. :clap
  3. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the Aussie subtleties, like

"150 horsepower trowser filling mode"

and

"mountain of grunt that craps on anything else in it's class"

:)
  4. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Here are some photos of the mod I made to the original Yamaha crash bars with a supplemental side cover protections ...
    Cheers,
    Roberto a.k.a. Thagua

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. jdpower

jdpower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thaqua, where'd you get the extra bars to do this? Was it from another setup for the XTZ or created yourself? I like the Yam bars for highway peg mount but like the others available for more protection to the side panels but don't want to buy complete setups. Inquiring minds want to know.

JDP
  6. Thagua

Oddometer:
    As soon as I installed the original Yammie protection bars we started to develop an additional protection for the side covers (electrical on the right side and radiator on the left) ... we examined several other solutions but welding was not an option so we came with this clamps that hold the 25 mm tubing curved to follow the side cover and with a clearance enough to allow the removal of both side covers without dismantling the protection.
    Hope this clarifies your doubts.
    Cheers,
    Roberto
  7. combo

combo D S N

Oddometer:
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:

I WANT these!!!!!!!!!! :clap
  9. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Hi Roberto,

Why was welding not an option ?

I did it on mine after just disconnecting the battery. I did not do the final welding, only the tack welding to hold the components in place and then finished it off once removed.

The only slight downside was that the whole unit became one peice (except the front low cross brace) but it is still removeable for painting as one peice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    I have tested it on the same rock that wrecked my Yamaha one. I was riding over a flattened dry stone wall. (You would think I would learn wouldn't you !) Anyway, it works :D.

On the fuel consumption front. I did a 450 mile trip over the week end. Most was motorway, about 75% with the rest being a mixture of small country back roads and second class roads. All the riding was unspirited (as you would on a tour as opposed to a days ride out) I was fully loaded with luggage (as per my post above) and camping gear. I was riding at the same speed as most of the other traffic.

I managed 56mpg (UK) on the trip computer and when the calculatione were done it transpired to be just over 53mpg real. The consumption appears to be getting better with age, I have now done 6000 miles.
  11. Jetjock

Jetjock Banned

Oddometer:

Love it. :D

I know what you mean .

Just got rid of the BMW GS for the Tenere and don't think ill ever look back.:rayof
  12. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard Jetjock.

What GS did you have?

So what are your views/opinion of the two back to back?

Is your use only street/commuting/touring or do you do any off-road?, because it's off bitumen where the Yamaha really shines by comparison...

Greg.
  13. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    By a few hours...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16261142&postcount=111

Caroline says something about him having a rear wheel issue on the S10, which started at the last tire change. Sounds like whatever it was probably cost him the record.

I seem to remember someone in Oz - Hayfarmer? - talking about some problem they'd had with the rear wheel the first time they'd removed it. Spacers were in back-to-front or something. I wonder if this is what happened?

Trevor
  14. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw 2 broken rear wheel spokes on the Irish bike that crashed in Morocco. Didn't have time to analyze the spokes for failure modes at the time, but am now wondering if spokes were related to Nick Sanders' problem. Of course, I can't imagine 99.9% of us will beat one of these bikes as hard as Nick or need to ride a bike after it's been crashed at high speed like this one.
    [​IMG]
  15. Jetjock

Jetjock Banned

Oddometer:
    R1200ADv .

I test rode the tenere but wasn't too impressed.

Then rode my GS home and realised the TEN was quite deceiving.

So I bought one.

First impressions after a weeks ownership.

The engine is a lot quicker than you think .

Suppose its something to do with the firing order.
    And nice and torquey too.
    Pity about the flat spot at 4500 but once i get the pipe and decat on is should improve this

The main thing is the C of G on the Ten is noticeably so much lower and therefore it feels like a 800 or maybe a 600.

The only off road ive done on the TEN is hard packed unprepared roads on the original tyres. Very contollable and must be a hoot on knobblies.

The r1200GS is a good bike but is top heavy and can be unreliable .

Ive only done 600 miles on the Yam but as I get used to it it I love it more and more:lol3:lol3
  16. Jetjock

Jetjock Banned

Oddometer:
    Also with 567 pages I think we need a new sub forum for the TEN???
  17. MADDOG5150

MADDOG5150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :d +1
  18. Thagua

Oddometer:
    Hi Old Git Ray ... When doing the modeling (and also looking at yours) we had to weld some parts so disconnected the battery ... lost the record of Trip1 and Trip2 ... the good thing of these is that you can take off the side covers and perform maintenance on the electronics and radiator ...
    Cheers,
    Roberto
  19. hayfarmer

hayfarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No dcstrom, that wasn't me who had problems refitting the rear wheel. But, I do remember reading about it and your right , it was just a case of mixing up some washers.
    It is really quite straight forward.

Brian
  20. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was Old Dog from Cobar and I remember it being something to do with washers and brakes dragging.