Need a little push to buy a KTM 500 EXC over a WR250R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by matt33, Sep 29, 2012.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That brings up another very real issue.
    Everybody needs to ask themselves what can I really afford.
    10 k for a high maintenance dirt bike is over the top for me, but if money wasn't an issue then it is a bargain.

Its just like the Bmw thing, they are an amazing bike, but expensive and if things start going south out of warranty can put you in the poorhouse quickly, especially when you overextended in the first place to buy the bike.

So, ask yourself those things first.
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very thoughtful post here.

3. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    I love my super light, high revving 310 IN the woods. It's not made to "drive around", it wants to go fast and climb/ jump stuff.
    My 610 is my "exploring" bike I guess. Rides awesome, lots of power, but the extra 60lbs is very unwanted when I have to pick it up.

I hav two buddies with plated WR450s and I've had 2 Husky 450s, they are a good mix bike. Still have the higher maintaince, but as soon as you get in something nasty, you don't care about the easy oil changes and valve check.

For the $$$ your talking, I would deffintly buy two, three year old bikes. Otherwise you are compromising something.
  4. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to say the same thing back when I only rode Yamahas.

Yep. Funny how when you are sweating and whipped from busting your ass down a miserable, rocky, almost vertical trail and you are still facing an even uglier climb back out you don't give a damn about oil changes and valve check intervals.

But then again, if you even have to ask about two bikes that are so entirely different I don't know if the KTM is the right choice. The 25% pavement would sell me on the EXC. But then I consider having to slide a feeler gauge under a valve a fair trade for the extra power and top shelf suspension. I learned a long time ago that no matter how long the service intervals are or who made the bike you still end up working on it every singe time you hammer one offroad.
  5. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that's a shame, they should all be so awesome.

Owners of slow bikes say that a lot and I completely disagree. Being the owner of a slow bike (KLR) and a fast bike (540EXC) I can say that the fast bike is more fun at any speed, especially speeds that the slow bike can't reach.
  6. montesa_vr

montesa_vr Legend in his own mind

Oddometer:
    Gryphon, great post overall but there is no way Yamaha can make a WR450R. People keep forgetting that the WR250R is one cylinder from a four-cylinder Yamaha street bike, and actually detuned from its parent engine. That's why it's so reliable. The 450 is a purpose built dirt bike and if Yamaha tried to turn that engine into something street legal, it would be either much heavier or much slower and probably both.

Yamaha could make a WR450R from a clean sheet of paper, but it would not compete with a KTM for weight or engine performance. If you're just looking for a bigger, heavier, more powerful WR250R, that's a possibility.
  7. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I don't know, montesa...KTM is doing something similar with the "Freeride" model, aren't they? They don't really break down all the components from everything I've seen to date, but it's based on the DOHC 350EXC...just heavily tweaked down on the stress level...or at least so it appears...a 24hp rating would seem to confirm that. Everything I see on the WR450"F" indicates that it's a durable, reliable engine as it is. If Yamaha did a similar detune for max torque and power in the low revs, it seems like a possible candidate. Apparently the "clean sheet of paper" approach is kind of expensive, I guess as evidenced by the "stolen" cylinder from an older R1 on the WR250R. Still, the Japanese seem the least likely to think there's a market for this bike. I'm even amazed that KTM seems to be pursuing the Freeride model.
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    I am not amazed by the Freeride. For the hard core offroad dual sport rider it isn't all about power. Maybe not even mostly about power. Yes, I am the first one in line for big power for a road going, traveling sort of dual sport. As good as my 640E is offroad, it rarely even sees third gear on tough single track.

For a single track rider it is more about light weight, compact size and real offroad suspension. No one can argue that light weight and top shelf suspension on dual sports are two concepts utterly lost on the Japanese. But, KTM gets it. Hard core trail riding is the market they understand and flat out own.

And, to a guy with a plated 200 pound racer in the garage, the Freeride looks like a bullseye. My MXC is basically a place holder for a real 50 state legal light weight dual sport. I don't know if that will be the Freeride, the rumored Husky two stroke or something else. But that kind of bike will be in my garage for trails.
  10. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    I know a LOT of people in the snotty North East/Canada that are salivating over the Freeride.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    No, you may have misunderstood my comment. In a street legal setup, it's probably the bike I and perhaps many others have been wanting for some years now. My amazement lies in the fact that someone may actually make it.:lol3

In the mid-80's, I recall seeing a big writeup in Cycle magazine where a guy did an excellent install of an XR250R engine into a current CR125 frame. The quality was equal to or maybe exceeded a factory build. Even then I think there was a market for a more docile but effective powerplant in a top flight chassis, and there has been little if any bikes of that kind of quality in the ensuing 25 or so years. My '06 KLX, now highly modded, does a pretty good job as it was based on an actual off road bike, but the KLX300 wasn't a KX level chassis and suspension, no matter how you look at it. This Freeride may actually be it.
  12. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    I did. Too much multi-tasking bewtween football, CAD work and ADVRider. The only issue I have with the Freeride is pricing. But it is a KTM. There is a reason I buy them used. I need deep pocket early adopters to buy a bunch once they get here.

I put about 50 miles on the bikes today. The first 15 were on the MXC. I can honestly say that was more than enough street miles on that banshee. That is why the Freeride appeals to me. Same light weight with much better manners. I don't want to race, I just want the light weight.

I just can't figure out why Yamaha saddled the WR250R with all that extra tonnage. They came so close in so many other ways. It isn't that much less expensive than a KTM. So it seems like they could have done much better. But the Japanese just won't do it for some reason.

It used to drive me nuts until I finally threw in the towel and drank the orange Koolaid.
  13. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i use my 450 xc-w for commuting and road trips (as well as single-track, hare scrambles, offroad exploring, etc. etc.).

i rarely ride my DRZ anymore, except at night (because the KTM stock headlight sucks...that is one real issue--but it can be addressed).

i've done 300 mile road days on the xc-w and loved it. the bike is so ridiculously fun to ride. for me, i just need to wear padded bicycle shorts, but the seat is probably not for everyone. however, you can always replace it with a more cushy one.

the maintenance is no big deal.

it is a way better bike in every way than either a DRZ or a WR250R (i have ridden one) except for maintenance intervals (but they aren't bad at all) and the headlight (which, on mine at least, sucks for riding on the road outside of a lit up city at night).

the KTM is better on the highway, it is better in the city, it is better on a MX track, it is better on quad trails, it is better on single track, etc. etc. better by a lot.

if you can afford it, get the KTM. if the price of a new WRR is the limit of your budget, spend the price of a new WRR on a used EXC/plated XC-W instead. seriously.
  14. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    And a Renazco or SDG seat. Seriously. :lol3
  15. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    You guys need to ride mountainbikes. Then every motorcycle saddle feels like a Barcalounger.:lol3
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just did a 450 mile day. Prescott to GC & back on my old 1995 Honda/Japanese XR650L. 75% off road. Still one of the best DS bikes ever made for this old man:D
  17. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a WRR and sold my European 450, the WRR is a very good dualsport. It is made to putt around on and does it quite well as you know.
    I also wanted a lighter bike and more power, the 450 sure had both, but it was tiring to putt around on.
    I was much more comfortable on the WRR then the 450.
    The engine was soo much smoother for long rides, it didn't try to kill you if you accidently bumped the throttle and it actually felt as light as the 450 and was physically smaller which I liked on the single track.
    I was using both as dual sports and the WRR was better at it.
    I kept the WRR and sold the 450.
    The WRR is the Jeep compared to KTM baja truck.
    If you want to dual sport around get the WRR. If you want a high performance race bike get the KTM.
  18. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you get a little older and wiser, having the biggest baddest fastest whatever isn't all that matters!
    seasider likes this.
  19. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the 500. I've had a 690 since July 2009 and love it. If I got any other bike it would be the 500. I love the 690 and can only imagine how the 500 must be-lighter and similar power. Crazy!
  20. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    It's not just about the power. Its about a top-quality build with aftermarket parts stock, brakes and suspension that does not need upgrading, a pipe that's every bit as good and as light as an aftermarket unit, 50lbs less than a similar DS, etc etc.

I ride like a granny, but when I needed to get up a hill or over a log or obstacle I could just blip the throttle and lift the wheel.

It's not about speed.