The most boring bike you've ever ridden

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ph0rk, Dec 27, 2012.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem to be any dirt bikes in this thread...:hmmmmm
  2. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most boring was a 2005 Yamaha FJR. Just too big, too smooth, boring, turbine like engine; too much plastic and windscreen. The only "exciting" thing about it was moving the beast around the garage trying not to get a hernia. Or riding it in the summer wondering when the engine heat would set your pants on fire. I know lots of people love that bike. More power to them! But man I hated mine.

Contrary to an earlier poster, my Ninja 250 is one of the most entertaining, least boring bikes I've ever had. Amuses me every time I ride it. Go figure.
  3. stretchmoney

stretchmoney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of these replies I find funny. Some say "bike x was boring/scary/shit brakes/suspension" ?
    I will say that a bike has crap motor, suspension, brakes, engine, but will say that makes it kind of fun to ride.
    I think danger without getting hurt IS fun, otherwise we all would just drive cars.
    Riding my friend Ray's 1972 Honda XL175 on the highway at night when it struggle to hit 55 with me(130 lbs) was one of the funnest rides I remember in the last few years. When traffic is flying past me instead of me flying past it, it is scary. And fun.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh? :hmmmmm

I don't get it.

I'm a full time rider, and don't have a car because I don't like them.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding any bike in the dirt is fun, no matter what bike really.
    The worse the bike the less boring it is anyway...

6. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I toured CA, AZ, and NV on one in '72. Best summer of my life!

Average speed was a little lower back then and it was still slower than average traffic.
  7. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super capable road going tourer, rode it hard, but it still felt like a car to me.....a BMW R1200RT
  8. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    My 97 ninja 250, first bike, love it. But after a month... Bye bye !!!
  9. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    Same here. Wonderful bike! Totally awesome appliance for covering lots of miles, but still totally lacking in soul and character.

I rode one for 400 miles one day, a rental this was. It was nice, by all accounts very luxurious, very comfortable, but it felt so isolated that I was thinking "Shit, maybe I should have just rented a convertible, considering how much I just spent..."

The next time I rent a bike, it's going to be a Ducati. :D
  10. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    A few thoughts.
    That is very odd about the DL1000 as I have an SV1000 which is basically the same engine and frame and it is absolutely thrilling to ride.

As far as the Ninja 250 goes, here is my theory. They are quite easy to learn to ride because of the mellow power and low seat. So once a newer rider starts hitting the throttle stop frequently they think they need a bigger bike.

However the wee Ninja still has a LOT to teach riders in my estimation. Put a set of sticky tires on it, don't be afraid to rev it and there are not many situations where it will let you down. (passing at 60+ is the only one that comes to mind)

I have 30+ years of experience riding motorcycles and consider myself a competent rider and the Ninja 250 is one of my favorite bikes. Absolutely full of character and in no way boring.
    Alexander B likes this.
  11. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda Gold Wing. Yawn.
  12. bullittman281

bullittman281 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll bite.
    I haven't rode too many bikes but the least inspiring was a first gen KLR 650. slow, heavy, uninspiring. Having said that I have a jones for one. Not sure why, but I kinda do. :huh

As far as character, I don't know that I would call flaws a form character. Those are just flaws. Character would be things like inspiring engine noise or an exciting power band involving loads of mid-range power, like a big bore thumper. Prefect flat power bands, silent, buzz free engines lack character.
  13. BigTexasOne

BigTexasOne Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    1 acre of heaven, Springtown, TX. NW of Ft. Worth
    2008 Yamaha FZ-1, I took a full day, rode from Carmel Valley to Hollister, south to Paso Robles via 25. Then on south to San Luis Obispo and back up to Carmel via Hwy 1. A phenomenal combination of some of California's best roads! The weather was perfect, it was a mid week day so there was very little traffic, everything was perfect.

When I got home, my wife asked me "how was your ride?" . . .

I thought for a second, and realized that there wasn't that usual "smile" after a great ride, and there was no lingering euphoria. I answered, "OK" and it was then that I recognized that although the ride was fantastic, the bike was merely competent, it did everything I asked of it, but it left me merely disinterested.

That's the lowest form of compliment one can give, "it was OK", WOW, that;s the definition of boring!

[​IMG]
    Alexander B likes this.
  14. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto. Bought a new '08 and it "was the best bike I ever hated." It earned the quote. Nothing really wrong w/it: fast enough, handled well, looked pretty good, etc. I just didn't want to ride it. Wide between the knees, a little top-heavy, and no low-end oomph. Yech.
  15. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    Triumph Speed Triple.

Technically the motor is fantastic. Great power, totally linear, torque everywhere, absolutely controllable anywhere in the rev range.

And totally bo-o-o-o-o-o-r-ing to me.

Sold that bike in 9 months. It did everything I asked it to do except create excitement.

Next most boring bike for me? Any J4 inline four. Meh. :nah 100% exactly the same as all the rest.

I'm rather enjoying my Monster EVO. A Lot. Tons of engine character, fantastic handling, huge garage appeal and comfortable enough for 500 mile days. I did an SS1k without any issues at all on it.

[​IMG]

Different strokes...but I finally found the right bike for me.
  16. stik__boy

stik__boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda PC800
  17. creaky

creaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '98 Concours. I was excited about getting a nice comfy touring bike when I bought it, spent a number of hours making it like I wanted it, rode it to FL and back, nice smooth ride, kept the weather off me, plenty of engine.....BORRRING! Sold it soon after.
    bykemike likes this.
  18. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Regional idiot, formerly just local.

Oddometer:
    If somebody can find a Speed Triple boring, imagine me on my ST1300. I take some solace in this. Would Rossi be bored on an S1000RR? I guess that Ducati MotoGP nag bored him.

I have a cousin-in-law who flew F-14s for a long time, finally as an instructor pilot. Then he went to the Super Hornet. With his analytical mindset, I bet he found both jets a bit boring. They are, after all, just weapons platforms. So it goes.
  19. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have rode a bunch of bikes, even my first "noob" bikes were a hoot in the right conditions and they were just 150cc crappy Chinese bikes.

Heck, as much as I hated my Vulcan 900 and how unenjoyable rides were on it, it wasn't boring.

But I guess any bike can be boring in the right conditions, hundreds of miles of straight roads will make me yawn on whatever bike I happen to be riding.

Da f*ck? There is nothing even remotely close to similar in between the SV and DL frames. Engine? The DL is 30hp down compared to the SV and there are quite a few differences in the engine to blame for that.

:rofl

I guess a bunch of Honda engineers designing a crankshaft figured out that balancing it and shaving weight would remove the soul from the engine. Creating a 160kg dry weight super sport was just an unwanted side effect of removing "character".

Everything you guys call "character" is nothing but either one of two things:

- Traits inherent to the design.
    - Design faults due to engineering limitations or just crappy design.

Add a counter balancer to the engine and some people cry they removed the character from the engine :lol3
  20. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    85 k100 rt
    did everything required of it
    from commuting to dirt rd touring
    still just a car engine.
    boring
    went to a pantah special
    very little and hard suspension
    uncomfortable
    but was more fun