best tires

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tigertom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tigertom

tigertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the search but it sucked. What is the best tire for dual purpose for the 990? 30% dirt at most. thanks, Tom I am buying a used 08 and part of the deal is the owner have new tires installed, my choice.
  2. MommysLittleMonster

MommysLittleMonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. the foolish fellow

the foolish fellow UP FOR IT

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

ONE OF THEM
  4. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont know about KTM...
    Running MEFO explorer on a KLR. very round, excellen grip and smooth on pavement, can grind stock footpegs without any skittishness on wet pavement.
    Ran them up to Prudhoe bay a few weeks ago, and they LOVED climbing Atigun pass.
    MEFO Explorers eat up twisty gravel roads like a deranged pitbull at 65 miles per hour.
  5. saved

saved sanctified scum

Oddometer:
    This might help http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/:thumb
  6. Dave70

Dave70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon the Mefo's (thats what I'll be running next) look great, with Heidenau K60's not far behind.
    I don't think you can get the K60's in a 150 though.

..pity that..
  7. Nocer

Nocer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not the Scorps? They have a good milage (I get 7.000 a 8.000 miles out of them), dont do that bad in dirt (as long as it isnt to loose sand) and are not that expensive.

MEFO's are good as well if you have a dealer nearby who can get them. If someone knows a dealer in the Netherlands I would gladly here it. ;)
  8. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second Mefo Super Explorer rear and am about to order my third. I do a good many miles (average over 2K a month - 80%+ street) on my 950 SE-R and have a number of buddies with 950 Adventures. My experience and the concensus among them is the Mefo is the only tire that'll last more than about 3K on these bikes.

My first Mefo rear went 4,500 miles to the wear bars. It could've done another 500 miles or more easily, but I was leaving on an 1,100-mile trip so I put on the new one. It's now at around 2,500 miles and looks as though the mileage will be about the same.

The first Mefo rear I paired with a Michelin T63 front, but it cupped really badly. For the second one that's on the bike now, I put a Mefo Explorer 99 front on and reversed the direction arrow to run "backwards." I used this method for 3 Mefo fronts previously on my F650 Dakar and saw no falloff in handling but averaged 16K miles and almost no cupping until the last couple of thousand miles. The one Mefo front I ran with the direction arrow on the Dakar only went 6K miles and was cupped to the point of being dangersous.

BTW, my SE uses 140 while the wider rim on the Adventures uses 150s.

Mefo has always worked well for me, just pricey. YRMV.
  9. tigertom

tigertom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are peoples experience with the AVON Distanzias?