Carbon Fiber clean or.........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MCP, Aug 24, 2014.

1. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    paint it?

I have an 04 1150 GS with a carbon fiber deflector (sits under the windshield) and a side cover.

Last year I did the Dempster highway to Inuvik, almost all gravel and they use calcium chloride. When I got back home, I noticed the carbon fiber was totally washed out and stained. I've tried cleaning it and so far nothing touches it.

Before I repaint these pieces, has anyone experienced something similar? Apparently the road to Deadhorse uses CC too.

Any special products that will bring these back?

thanks
  2. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    If you are wanting that natural carbon fibre look it time to sand and clear coat. The better the sanding job the better it will look.
  3. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Get some fine wet sandpaper and give it a few passes, unless it is more than surface discoloration this will do.

No need to apply clear coat, either.
    IF you do apply clear coat, do NOT use rattle can paint, but use good 2k paint approved for epoxy resin!

The thing with carbon fiber is that you can easily remove any damage within the resin layer by just wet sanding it.
    If the damage is in the fiber layer, you're out of luck as far as that perfect carbon look goes.

Should the damage be deep within the resin layer, wetsand it, apply a thin layer of new resin and wetsand it smooth after it's all dry.
  4. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    appreciate the feedback.

I'll give the sandpaper a try.
  5. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The house here in Kansas has a cheap marble-look plastic lavatory in the bathroom. My wife used a Scotchbrite pad on it once, badly gouging it. I went the autobody route on it and started sanding, first with 180, then 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 2000, and 3000, then went after it with polishing compound and a cloth wheel, and finished it off with some headlight polish. It's not absolutely as good as brand new, but it's perfectly acceptable the way it turned out.