Trail riding in the Carolinas?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by RRM707, Sep 20, 2014.

1. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.

I'm in CT/NY currently. When the kids get out of HS, I'll retire & move away

from this godawfully expensive place to live. Anyway, it'll prolly be down to the Carolinas.

How much trail riding is there? What is the DMV like? (My 500 XCW & WR450 both

have street titles, but their VINs are not street type VINs) I know some states

use the VIN, CT did not.

Thx!
  2. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way , my gfs in. Charleston right now and as soon as I can find a.liveable wage down there preferably public works, I'm gone.Theres Carolina adventure world, wambaw.marion state forest and a few places in North Carolina and Georgia, there coal country in Tennessee to I believes.good luck to you.
  3. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    I recently moved to this area and recently added a 350 EXC to the garage. I have been looking for places to ride and, depending on where you're going to be, dedicated trail areas are around, but they are far between.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As for getting a bike plated, it's not easy! If it says "off road use only" on the certificate of origin, you'll not be able to get a plate on the bike even if you have a full Baja kit with a NC state inspection. If the bike comes from the factory with the needed on road equipment, you'll be good to go (e.g. KTM EXC).

There is always the Vermont option of getting a plate on your bike. A lot of the guys around here register their bikes in VT and get a VT tag. You may want to look into that as an option.
  4. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    I've worked with the DMV inspectors on a few projects and found them to be as expected but willing to offer assistance to get required paperwork done, freaking tons of it can be required so it ain't a one day job if you don't have factory paperwork.

Rural areas offer lots more dirt riding than the urban regions but that's not exactly a surprise. The smaller towns bordering the mtns offer the best compromise for quality and quantity of life plus good riding.

Anywhere near Asheville is a good start.
  5. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    TN has a tremendous amount of trail riding areas, might want to consider it.
  6. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    I just moved to north GA from Newburgh NY. So many more places to ride down here. Tons of OHV systems to ride and the big places for day trips like Durhamtown Plantation, Brushy Mtn NC, and Hatfield McCoy WV of course.

No idea on the tag situation though.