Buying a bike in Germany and bringing it back to the U.S.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by thumpjump, Mar 18, 2010.

1. thumpjump

thumpjump huh?

Oddometer:
    I'm in the market for a new (used) bike. I live in Germany, but I'm stationed here with the U.S. Military. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a bike off ebay, or from any private seller, and then title it in the U.S.? I'm guessing it would need to be a U.S. Spec bike. However, if I could buy something non-U.S. Spec that would be a cool option too. Do they have titles in Germany? Has anyone done something similar or know how this process would play out?

The military packs up motorcycles with household goods when you move and then it's delivered to your house when you get back to the States. I'm not sure how customs, etc...would work in this scenario.

Thanks in advance!
  2. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    You probably need to show a title before you get packed out. If you get past having to show a title before they crate your non-US spec bike up, you'll have to work something at your local DMV.
  3. Joz

Joz What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    To get your bike packed out all you have to do is have it registered at your local vehicle reg, non op or full plates. Can't have temp tags. The only way to register a non us spec bike is to have a memo on company letterhead from the factory stating it meet us specs in place on date of manufacture. I don't know what bikes you are looking at, but a few stopped giving out that letter. Suzuki is one that I know for sure. It will be a huge headache in the very least. Now if you are looking for a dirt bike or something that won't get plated in the states there is no problem. Now as far as customs goes, I think they bypass them and go straight to your door. I had my bike crated in January and the inspector came to my house and didn't question their country of specification. If you have anymore questions about registering here in Germany give me a pm, I worked at vehicle reg last summer after to many ICE complaints on the MP Desk, lol!!!! I may very well hold the record for the most in three years. You can buy a brand new Triumph, BMW, and Harley here through dealers and montanamotorcycles.com will get you one + shipping here. AAFES charged me about 800 dollars for shipping on my Uly last summer.
  5. MoxNix

MoxNix Ex-ExPat

Oddometer:
    [hijack]Who do I contact for new Triumph sales in Germany?[/hijack]
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Triumph dealer in Hockenheim, Germany, Kawadrom told me he could get US spec bikes. Just needed 4 to 6 weeks. Bruno is the owner at 06205 15054. Ask for him or Herbie. I have been taking my Sprint ST there for service for three years.

Bradley Nelson
  7. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your biggest problem will be the DMV in whatever state you're moving to. Don't even think of bringing one to Commiefornia. Other states might be a little easier, but still a major PITA. Look around for a US spec bike, should be quite a few from military guys moving elsewhere, and prolly a better deal since they are under pressure to get rid of it.
  8. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Try contacting Stefan at knopftours.com. I just shipped my bike from the states to him for a tour this summer. He has several bikes listed for sale from stateside owners that did just this.

He also is in the know about all this issues surrounding your need.
  9. Airostar

Airostar n00b

Oddometer:
  10. thumpjump

thumpjump huh?

Oddometer:
    I decided it wasn't worth the trouble of buying used. I just ordered a 2010 WR250R from Jeff Farmer at Montana Motorcycles.:evil He can get just about any U.S. Spec bike, at a small premium though. Now I gotta wait til May until it gets off the boat from the U.S..:becca

At least I have the Tiger to go out looking for trails/dirt roads in France.

Thanks for all your advice guys! I just figured that I might as well buy the bike I want and be able to take it back to the U.S. with minimal problems. The only real options were to get a new U.S. Spec bike or find another American selling a bike here. The latter option was turning up very little hope, especially for my type of bike.
  11. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    If its any help, my Buell only took 3 1/2 weeks to get here from East Troy, WI. And it took the slow way, a boat to Antwerp and then a barge down the Rhein to Mannheim. The one hold up that was so frustrating was customs. The bike was prepped and ready for delivery at 2pm on Friday, two hours after German customs closed for the weekend so had to wait until the following Tuesday to pick it up. Good luck and enjoy the ride. 7 days and I am out!!!! Back to the land of the big PX.