With all this talk about filtering and lane splitting in the US...what would it take?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by LuciferMutt, Jan 17, 2013.

1. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. It isn't. At least that I've seen and I've spent a LOT of time sitting in traffic next to one that is wide enough to be considered a complete lane. There is an occasional tire carcass but usually nothing more than that which is why a low speed limit like 35 makes sense. I'm sure there are places where this wouldn't be prudent but on the I95 corridor in VA, it is an absurd waste of space.
  2. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why the shoulder? Even in CA it's illegal to ride there. Allowing riders to use the shoulder creates "special rights" for motorcyclists, as opposed to lane-sharing which is obviously impossible for cages anyway. (Edit: yes, I'm aware of the carpool lane thing, but IMHO allowing legal use of the shoulder goes beyond what we can reasonably expect.)

And why the hate for MP3s and Can-Am Spyders? :D

As far as how to introduce the idea to the other 49, I think LEOs should be involved. First, inform the public using electronic signboards, ads, etc. Then, send a few moto-LEOs out to test the waters. First on their police bikes, then on regular bikes -- ensuring that the public knows this is happening and that the bike they want to cut off or "door" might have a cop on it.

Finally, raise a huge stink about those inevitable doorings and cuttings-off. After a few of those stories hit the media, people will think twice about f--king with motorcycles.

This should all take place in a state that has significant traffic problems but isn't also inhabited by legions of passive-aggressive self-appointed law enforcers, so that leaves out Washington and Oregon...
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Used to commute on some back road country two lane roads, didn't have the balls to lane share to the left of the stopped traffic because the oncoming traffic was full speed at 60 mph. Rode the shoulder every day and got at least 20 flats per year doing that and made a CHP cage guy mad every morning, he'd flip his lights and siren on in a fit of rage, I'd keep going...not a damn thing he could do about it. Every once in awhile he'd see me coming and nose his RF into the shoulder so I couldn't get by, I'd stop a few cars back and let him fume.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Pick one and stick to it. :deal

:lol3

:beer
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go ride down the shoulder and get back to us. Be sure to take along the necessary equipment to repair your tires. It is all but impossible to not get a flat tire.
  6. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Here's a thought: If you're a motorcyclist, consider running for office!

...Or, join a community board, as I have. For the past two years I have been a voting member of the "Traffic & Transportation Committee" for the Community Board ("CB2") which governs the West Village in Manhattan. In my time there I have been party to creating the first new motorcycle-only parking areas in NYC in decades. I've added my voice to every proposed change in this very populated area. And rest-assured, whatever is being discussed, I am listening with an ear towards the impact for motorcyclists.

And, at the start of every meeting, I put my helmet on the table where the committee is sitting. It's subliminal, but I do it to send a message that there are motorcyclists in the community, and not just a bunch of loud-piped weekend warriors.

Fourteen years ago this very same community board tried to BAN all motorcycles from the area. You can bet your ass that would never happen if a motorcyclist were on the CB in 1997! :deal
  7. wiseblood

Oddometer:

You're doing it wrong... very wrong. :nono

#1: Lane splitting is done ONLY between lanes which are traveling in the SAME direction. If you're riding on a yellow (as opposed to white) line, then you're not commuting: You're committing suicide in a pointless way. :deal

#2: Glad you finally figured out that all the debris collects where the cars DON'T go! :freaky Running from the police, though? That's no longer a traffic violation. Now, you're into the criminal code. :mulie
  8. fritzthecat

fritzthecat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to convince the car / truck drivers that filtering / lane sharing is advantageous for THEM, not the bikes.
    Spoonfeed them PSAs about how
    "Sharing reduces congestion and you get home earlier."
    "Let them (the bikes) get out of your way."
    "Moving out of your way so you can get ahead."

Only by convincing the drivers that Bikers will do this 'inconvenience" for their benefit will there be acceptance.

Fritz
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, do you just call it passing when riding the center line then?
  10. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    "The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light."
    Yes, I do. And so does every LEO I've ever spoken to about it.
  11. wiseblood

Oddometer:

Yeah, I guess so. So if a rider is trying to make a pass while cars are flying at him at 60 mph (plus, whatever speed he's travelling at), if he doesn't die he'll earn a nice Reckless Driving citation. Unless he kills someone, in which case, I'll be rooting for "Vehicular Manslaughter."

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-TCKRu02Nzk?list=PL9CD62A6F0ED8BD99" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek1 :puke1
  12. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    + eleventy-billion

This is the only way to make it work in our "all about me" society.
  13. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    New research indicates motorcycle commuting reduces traffic congestion and emissions

The study, which was presented at the Association des Constructeurs Européens de Motocycles (ACEM) 2012 Conference in Brussels, found that if 10 percent of all private cars were replaced by motorcycles in the traffic flow of the test area, total time losses for all vehicles decreased by 40 percent and total emissions reduced by 6 percent (1 percent from the different traffic composition of more emission-reduced motorcycles and 5 percent from avoided traffic congestion). A 25 percent modal shift from cars to motorcycles was found to eliminate congestion entirely.​

http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycles-reduce-congestion/21420/
  14. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    we just need to elect a motorcycle friendly president

[​IMG]
  15. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    good to see there was a newer study.

I'm sure its 205, but the easiest way to explain it to cagers - imagine the road as a 5 gallon bucket. Fill it with baseballs to represent cars. The bucket can only carry X baseballs ay any given time. Now pour marbles in the bucket to represent motorcycles. They fill the small spaces where a baseball won't fit. The remove a couple "cars" since some drivers have switched to riding and everyone has more space and the entire road is more efficient.

I'm sure there's a write-up that explains it better, but that should get the point across
  16. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I think one big obstacle in the US is that it intuitively APPEARS to be a pretty dangerous thing to do. I used to think so myself and swore I'd never do it, even in CA. Then I got stuck on the Santa Monica Freeway at 5pm on a Friday. After seeing about 10 or 15 bikes go by while splitting I decided to give it a try. The rest is history.
  17. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    we have
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Representative votes can be bought for between $50,000 and $100,000. Senators go for about four times that amount.
  19. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the best answer. Start doing it at red lights, then progress to freeways. Just do it! :freaky

Several years ago when I started doing it here in Texas, people would get outraged, and it seems like I was the only one doing it. Now I see it more and more often, and cagers seem to be less bothered by it. If there is a wreck on the freeway you will actually see several bikes doing it now. Many a time I have split by a bike, only to see him get behind me and start splitting too. I know we have a lot of Californians moving here, me thinks they are bringing their bad habits with them!:lol3
  20. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's a huge part of it. Being one of them, one who happens to ride a motorcycle.

I expect that I will show up to make my case at the various community boards and the State House in a full textile suit, high-vis vest, and FF helmet. While I am talking, I will strip down to my regular business suit, at which point, I will look just like one of them.