low power riders & high power riders

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Wraith Rider, Feb 9, 2014.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not gonna go back and revisit this entire discussion, but since this still seems to loosely be on topic I'll throw my cents in:
    Wth power comes the ability to ride lazily. And if that's what you're in the mood for when you get on a bike; the ability to sniff around and look at the roses, then by all means, don't let me stop you.
    A little bike requires more work (generally speaking) and that can be equally as rewarding, perhaps even more so, depending on your approach.
    And te weakest of motors have their own appeal too. You can treat the throttle like a light switch (closed-WFO) with little care to getting into trouble, tossed, or burning through all your pocket change at the first gas stop.
  2. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Some say the big bike requires more work. Heavier, more tiring to operate, having to care more about how much throttle is applied, thinking about laws of physic and laws of the state.
  3. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of which is anywhere near as entertaining as running the Hell of of a little lightweight rocket.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll agree with WR here. A heavy bike is more work on a twisty road.

When it comes to fun, lighter is normally better for me. It does however, depend on the road. If I had the choice between a VFR1200 and Ninja 250 for riding through Deal's Gap, no contest I'll take the 250. If I wanted to take a long highway trip with a passenger, I'll take the VFR, or better yet an Electra Glide.
  5. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Well, some like to ride firecracker rockets, others like to ride real rockets... Stay with you firecrackers if it's that what you can handle.
  6. aprilian

aprilian Can I change this?

Oddometer:
    And there we have it, "I can handle a large bike and so my d*ck (sorry, rocket) is bigger than yours" :lol3
  7. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have owned two street motorcycles that sort of measured my preferences. One was a MZ660 Supermoto that weighed about 340lbs and made around 50hp. That was definitely the most fun bike for the twisties I've owned. The second I still have and probably is at the upper limit of my power preference; a Ducati 900SS Superlite. She weighs about 400lbs and makes something over 70hp. Very friendly power delivery and the chassis is slow turning and comfy to hustle. I once rode my son's TZ 250 GP bike around the neighborhood. It weighs about 250lbs and makes about 70hp. That bike was too frantic for the street. I tried his 600 GSX-R600 road racer too. It was punched out 3 mil and made about 130hp. For me it was practically unrideable.

I suppose the biggest power I favor is a modest 70hp in a fairly light street chassis. I have a KTM 690R, which tests my power limits as well. It weighs about 300lbs and makes a stomping 67hp. Most powerful thumper I've ever ridden. Very quick up to 100mph. Revs so hard you can't just whack the throttle, but roll in on carefully.
  8. GETTHUMPER2

GETTHUMPER2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All depends on whether you are riding said bike within its design parameters or are trying to stretch the envelope.
    What did the engineers have in mind as the mission statement for the design of the bike, what was to be its intended job???
    Every chassis, suspension set-up, tire and wheel, etc.... has a sweet spot with regards to speed and road surface.
    THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  9. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can, and have handled a lot of big motorcycles. Worked my way way up from 50cc to 1300cc. Rode the shit out of all of them. Now after forty years of riding ever bigger and more powerful motorcycles, I have come to the realization that the little ones have always been more interesting, more useful, more economical, and most of all, more fun. A lot more fun.

One day you may learn this, but I doubt it.
  10. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had more fun riding a slow (small) bike fast, than a fast (1000cc open class) bike slow. Took more effort and gave twice the grins. The faster bike took more concentration, more subtle throttle inputs and better body positioning. I also have a track day bike. Biggest and fastest? You tell me, and I'm 6'5" and 220 lbs.
  11. zerohype

zerohype Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is your firecracker, by the way?
  12. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He doesn't have any!!!

BWAahhahahahahahahah!!!!!!
  13. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    He obviously has a LADYFINGER.:roflOr should that be , HE OBVIOUSLY HAS A ladyfinger.
  14. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet he has a lot of ladies giving him the finger. :rofl
  15. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    He can't give the ladies the finger , but I'd bet the g#ys give it to him regularly.:lol3
  16. vecchio Lupo

vecchio Lupo Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer:
    I am paraphrasing the quote because I don't remember exactly, and I'm not sure of the racer who said it. I only know it was not me. I think it was Kenny Roberts, but it sounds like Wayne Rainey a little. Somebody please correct me so I don't idolize the wrong guy.

When asked what he rides when off the track and why, the racer replied:

"I'd rather ring out a slow bike than reign in a fast one."

I like doing that also.
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Some say? Is there anyone with an IQ above 10 that wouldn't know that? Thank you Captain Obvious. So next are you gonna tell us SOME people would say that carrying around an anvil is more tiring then carrying around a feather? :lol3
  18. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And its more fun. Much more fun. :rofl
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Really? Look at it this way, that Gixxer weighs about 20 LBS less then a stock ZX 10R which has about 40 more HP. 130 HP 600 isn't that big a deal. Hell, I've ridden a moderately tuned ZX10R that was pumping out over 180 HP. It wasn't any harder to ride then my stock R1's.
  20. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Not having an opinion of my own, forgetting all my experiences, is NOT "learning".