2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    argh!
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    its going to be a LONG 5 days
  3. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another guy we will be following on the side line from our pleasant gulf state will be James West.

Missed out on being Cyril's water carrier a couple of years back due to injury before the race. James owns and runs a desert tour operation here in Dubai and probably has more seat time than most in the sand. Exceptions excluded.

Probably not as outright fast as Sam but for sure a very fast rider. The last minute ride came about from his connections with Sherco. Riding the bike which Frans Verhoeven shaked down, ie broke everything he could on the bike.

I dont think James had a full year of testing as he was only informed that he got the ride a few months back. Steady dark horse who should be good for a top 20 overall. He can hang with the best in the sand.

cant wait.

PS still bummed out that Sam cant make it this year.
  4. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    thanks for the in-the-mess-of-it descriptions for those of us following along - it really helps bring the whole picture & feeling of the race back down to the ground for those of us watching from "on high", hovering over our F5 keys.

keep it up, if you can, it's great to hear. :thumb
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Don't forget Seb on the quads also - role on DC for Sam (hopefully)
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    So have we had predictions for top three (moto), top rookie and top privateer yet?
  7. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:

Ned,
    What about that Leatt stamp? Is it a safety requirement? Is anything, except helmet and water, required for a rider to carry on himself?
  8. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    From last year in the Neduro to Dakar thread: (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17626255&postcount=1165)

9. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    I'll put my vote in... :clap

If Doyle drafts his (per usual) OFFICIAL DAKAR race coverage thead prelude (complete with his inimitable pre-rally intoduction, ADV spin and all pertinent links, tips and the like :wink:) then someone on the f5 mod team can lock it (& sticky it) until the 5th (official start day) so that all the forum inmates can familiarize and peruse the info at their leisure (meanwhile all the pre-rally guff on scrutineering/tech inspection, last minute freight delays and unsubstantiated rumours :roflcan continue unadulterated here:deal in the "Pre-Event discussion thread").

Then on the f5ith* of january one of the mod squad can "open" the f5loodgates on the f5irehose (to coincide as the f5irst MOTO competitor rolls up onto the ceremonial start podium - as per the official Dakar schedule - would be good f5 f5orm... :evil) and from then on it's gonna be a f5ull pressure f5irehose f5renzy as the race coverage speeds off at a bazillion posts a day towards a new f5 personal best for cyber web rally raid participation... :D

* Did anyone else notice that the ASO changed the start date JUST to honour the vital contribution and integral part of DAKAR that the f5 collective at ADV has become...? :evil:clap:clap:thumb

Might I suggest (also? :D) that a good number of the other pertinent Dakar/ADV threads - including the Official DAKAR Coverage f5irehose - (ie: Media/Photo link thread, TV coverage, torrent streaming link thread, Pyndon thread, Robby thread, 4 wheel Dakar, the HRC thread and possibly any others deemed heavy traffic... oh, lets not forget the DAKAR F5 101 instruction thread for f5 rally n00bs). Could all these be stickied as well, for the duration...? as it will make the job of the Dakar f5aithfull (and the f5 mod squad) much easier to pan through the body of material and - most importantly, for those you can't devote 24/seven for two weeks to dakar duty - allow us to keep the "DAKAR Cliff Notes" thread (also a sticky) up to date and topical...!?

All of the other usual racing threads (and even those Dakar related not deemed "heavy traffic/sticky) will live their lives these first two weeks of january, just floating under the f5 foam that bubbles up the top (if they have momentum they won't fall off the front :wink:) and once the rally crosses the line in Chilé, things will (slowly) die down, the " DAKAR stickies" will be removed and things revert back to normal (are they ever that way around here...??!! :huh) eventually and all will be at peace in the racing forum again (by about the end of February... :rofl).

This year we have got more mods on this thing than a Bultaco rallybike (most of them are old, blow smoke... and bits fall off now and then :lol3), but the "powers that be" that live behind the green curtain down in the basement have allocated buttons and probationary privelliges that will enable the f5 effort for the 2013 virtual DAKAR festival to be - what we hope - will be the best ever...!!! :clap:clap:clap

f5 DAKAR roll on... :wink:
  10. practicalshooter

practicalshooter Posteriophobiac

Oddometer:
  11. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Sweet Mother Of God, they've made you a Mod. :huh We're all doomed. :lol3
  12. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    I'm all for making the "Official Event Discussion" a stickie now. Do this for the other high-traffic threads as well and that will give the ASO (http://www.aso.fr/us/dakar.html) and Dakar organization (http://www.dakar.com/) time enought to update their links. I picture them saying something like, "Find out what's really happening in the moto division at advrider.com"

Also, while everyone's supporting their favorite riders, both privateer and professional, don't forget to support this site (http://www.advrider.com/Donate/Donate.html). Let's help Baldy make sure that the ADV Rider walls don't come crumbling down under constant pressure of the f5irehose.
  13. too old

Oddometer:

Does this mean you are staying in the land of darkness and cold as opposed the actual and not virtual Dakar?
    I presume you have an extra couple of fingers grafted on for the the next 2 weeks or so :lol3
  14. too old

Oddometer:
    Allready sent my $100 on Helder to win to Ted/Deadly99 - he can route it to Advider - if Helder does win and I pay my second $100 I'll send it direct - don't worry I'm new to this betting thing :rofl:rofl:rofl

Pay to win with no returns and double up if I call the winner - not much of a future, but what the hell, money well spent!:clap:clap:clap
  15. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    you are too right "too old" Seb should cause a shake up or two. The guy sure can cane a quad.
  16. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another Dubai resident doing his 4th or 5th Dakar is Marcel Pronk. This time in a truck instead of on a bike.
  17. misc

misc Dakar Tracker

Oddometer:
    Hiya all F5'ers :wink:

I saw some of you were wondering, but of course I will (try to) be there again with my site. I have been working on the website last days and I will be there soon with a new fresh look. I even took 2 weeks off so I can be there 24/7 :thumb

I will be hosting my site on 2 servers this time with a lot of bandwidth, so I hope I'm prepared better this time. I also told my hosting provider that the F5'ers are coming again, so they won't be surprised this time. Thanks for the offers once again. I'll contact you when needed.

See ya all very soon!

Mischa
  18. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  19. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So am I the only one who didn't know that race starts on 5. instead of 1. of January? :huh
  20. barrier

barrier Says who?

Oddometer:
    Good summary of the British entrants in Dakar '13.
    Looks like we have adopted Mr Pavey!:lol3

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/s...er/dec3012-dakar-ones-to-watch/_/R-EPI-138912

Meet your new Dakar heroes

By Michael Guy - Of Motor Cycle News

British riders have a long tradition of competing in the world famous Dakar Rally and 2013 is no exception – from factory-supported riders through to top privateers and individuals fulfilling their life long dream of racing the Dakar.
    These seven Brits are all ready to go when it starts on January 5 2013.
    The Dakar isn’t just about superstar riders and full factory teams. Nearly 200 competitors from all walks of life come together in the name of adventure. And seven Brits have signed up to start the race on January 5 in Peru.

<table border="0"> <tbody> <tr valign="top"> <td>[​IMG]</td> <td>

Name: James West
    Team: Crocoaventures Factory Sherco Rally Raid
    www.emiratesbiketours.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> West is an accomplished desert and extreme enduro rider based in the United Arab Emirates. With an impressive motocross CV, he burst on to the scene in 2008 with a strong performance in the UAE Desert Challenge.
    It resulted in him being signed by the official KTM UAE Racing team. He went on to win the 250cc class of the California Baja 1000 and on the strength of his performances was given the coveted opportunity to join the factory KTM Dakar team as support rider for multiple race winner Cyril Despres. But due to circumstances out of his control he never got to the start line.
    &#8220;I&#8217;ve been set to go to Dakar twice now but it hasn&#8217;t happened due to injuries. In 2010 I was set to go with KTM and Cyril Despres, but three weeks before the race I blew my knee out. You have to be 100% fit to go to Dakar and I wasn&#8217;t.
    "Because it was so close to the start of the race the team had done the big team photo with all the kit and they had to Photoshop Ruben Faria&#8217;s face over my photo!
    "In 2012 I was due to ride with Pal Ullevalsetter [2nd in 2010], but I got injured again. I still went to Dakar as the team manager for Ullevalsetter so I was able to see first hand what happens.&#8221;

Name: Simon Pavey
    Team: Delta Kunstaffe
    www.simonpavey.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Originally from Australia Pavey has been based in the UK for years and is a veteran of the Dakar. The 2013 race will be his ninth Dakar after first completing the event in 1999.
    During this time he&#8217;s finished an incredible six Dakars and is not only a great rider but a highly experienced and level headed racer.
    Pavey was set to race the Dakar with his son Llewellyn and be the first father and son team to race on bikes, but Llewellyn&#8217;s entry was surprisingly rejected with the organisers citing a lack of experience. Despite the major set-back, Pavey heads to Dakar with a new bike and his own team for the first time in his Dakar career.
    &#8220;Every other year I&#8217;ve been to the Dakar I&#8217;ve gone there with a bike that you feel is about two years behind everybody else. Normally you look at the factory bikes and the top privateers and you&#8217;re a long way behind, but now I&#8217;m looking at my Husqvarna and thinking that we&#8217;ve done a really good job.
    "Apart from the proper factory bikes I think ours is the next best thing. Instead of having a bike to ride I&#8217;ve actually got something that I can race.
    &#8220;For any of the entrants, just getting to the start of Dakar is a big project for each one of us. It&#8217;s very hard, but I love this race and the craziness that goes with it. There&#8217;s still that kind of Mad Max feeling to it. It&#8217;s so long and so hazardous; it&#8217;s what keeps bringing people back.&#8221;

Name: Stan Watt
    Team: Front Row GB Crescent KTM
    www.frontrowgb.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Watt needs no introduction having shown impressive pace in last year&#8217;s Dakar, finishing 34th overall. The Irishman is an expert in navigation and has proved himself to be a fast, strong rider with a strong team and the determination to secure an even better result in the 2013 Dakar.
    He said: &#8220;To prepare I&#8217;ve been doing the British Enduro Championship and also competed in the Sardinia and Morocco Rallies. My aim is to try and ride once a week and I&#8217;ve been using a KTM500 Enduro bike, but we fit it with the big fuel tanks so that I can get used to riding with a heavier bike.
    "In the weeks leading up to the race
    I change my training regime and start to introduce more strength rather than cardio vascular. The focus is staying strong to try and be ready for the start of the race.&#8221;
    He&#8217;s also been able to make improvements to his factory KTM as a result of his experience with the bike in the 2012 race.
    &#8220;The areas we&#8217;ve been working on are suspension and engine. It&#8217;s vital to have good suspension as there are stages when you&#8217;ve got to get up a wide river bed full of rocks and you&#8217;re going to be in there for two or three hours. It also needs to work on the fast stuff and not beat you up physically.
    "We&#8217;ve got the cone valves factory WP suspension, which is as close to the factory team stuff as you can get. With the engine we&#8217;ve worked on useable power, lots of torque, which should hopefully make it easier to ride.&#8221;

Name: Craig Bounds
    Team: Craig Bounds Racing KTM 450RR
    www.blackdeserttraining.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Bounds is a renowned British Enduro and Rally Raid competitor. In 2013 he&#8217;ll be entering the Dakar for the fourth time having finished 54th in 2009 on his first attempt.
    In 2010 he showed what he was capable of, finishing 15th on stage two before suffering an engine failure on stage 13 of the race. In 2011 his luck ran out again and he suffered a high speed crash badly dislocating his shoulder.
    Despite his vast experience and riding ability it won&#8217;t be easy, especially as Bounds is racing in the Malle Moto class of the race which means he has no support crew and will have to do all of his own maintenance without assistance during the 15-day event.
    &#8220;My preparation for this year&#8217;s race is going well, which is promising after the big set back that has been my shoulder from the injury two years ago. I did it in the Dakar in 2011 and there was a lot of nerve damage. I&#8217;ve done a lot of training and a lot of physio to get it back to where it needs to be and it&#8217;s really coming together.
    &#8220;I&#8217;ve got a KTM factory Rally RR and it&#8217;s just made for the job. You still have to set it all up, but it&#8217;s been built by the factory legends. They&#8217;ve tested and developed the bike for the last three years and privateers like me can buy one.&#8221;

Name: Paul Jay
    Team: Paul Jay Racing Honda CRF450X
    www.pauljaydakar.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Jay&#8217;s first thoughts of actually competing in the Dakar came over 30 years ago when, at the age of 12, the race was thrown onto the map in the UK when Mark Thatcher (son of former Prime minister Margaret Thatcher) famously got himself lost for six days in the Sahara desert.
    It was the moment he knew he had to enter the race one day and in 2013 he&#8217;ll be on the start line lining up with the best Rally Raid rider in the world in his first ever Dakar.
    &#8220;I&#8217;ve wanted to do it ever since I saw Mark Thatcher get lost. I thought that was awesome and from that day it was &#8216;right that&#8217;s the event for me&#8217;. It&#8217;s one of the last true and real adventures in the world.&#8221;
    His path to the Dakar has not been an easy one. Having paid for everything himself he&#8217;s had the bonus in recent weeks of gaining a support vehicle with the experienced Desert Rose Racing driver Charles Blois (74 years old) supplying the vehicle, working with mechanic Mike Rowley who is also paying his own way to be part of the adventure.
    &#8220;It&#8217;s all self-financed. I&#8217;ve mortgaged the house, the overdraft has taken a kicking and the credit cards are maxed out. I got to a point where I&#8217;d lost some family members and it makes you stop and reflect.
    "You ask the question how long am I here for and I don&#8217;t want to live with regrets. It was only six weeks ago that the final decision was made. I got to a point where I bit the bullet and said: &#8216;I&#8217;ll do it whatever it costs and sort it out when I get back&#8217;.&#8221;

Name: Tim Forman
    Team: Front Row GB KTM 450 Rally RR
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Forman didn&#8217;t even start riding off-road until he was 21 but was clearly a natural and progressed through the ranks and into the British Enduro Championship. He&#8217;s been selected for the Welsh team for the ISDE (International Six Days Enduro) six times.
    He&#8217;s gone on to compete in the European Championship and the British round of the World Championship before turning his attention to the Dakar.
    Unlike most privateers whose participation comes at the end of a two or three year project to race the Dakar, Forman&#8217;s remarkable journey has taken just a year.
    &#8220;I&#8217;ve been riding in Stan Watt&#8217;s Front Row GB team when they gave me the opportunity to do the Dakar.
    "It&#8217;s been a big part of my dream wish list to do the race and I&#8217;d like to thank the team. I&#8217;ve always wanted to compete but the cost has always been too prohibitive.
    &#8220;My first Rally Raid was Sardinia but I only completed one full day when I crashed and took the top off my finger. I had to fly home for surgery so that was that. I then went to Morocco, which is one of the closest races to the Dakar.
    "You cover big miles and you&#8217;re doing long days and it was also my first time really doing the navigation. I struggled to start with but by the end I had days when I was in the top 20.&#8221;

Name: Lyndon Poskitt
    Team: Front Row GB KTM 450RR
    www.lyndonposkittracing.com
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Poskitt is an accomplished racer with 23 years&#8217; experience in trials, motocross, enduro, supermoto, road racing and long distance adventure riding. In 2013 he will fulfil a long- time ambition to race the Dakar after securing the necessary budget.
    &#8220;I wanted to do something that rolled all the disciplines I&#8217;ve raced into one. In 2007 I did the Baja 1000 and loved it and I knew then that the next step for me would be the Dakar. But because of the money you need it was never an option.
    "I went back to Enduro riding before doing the UK Big Bike Rally Challenge in 2011 where I finished second overall behind Craig Bounds and that got me looking at the Dakar again.
    &#8220;I knew that if I wanted to do it I just had to commit to it. I bought Stan Watt&#8217;s 2012 Dakar bike and rode it all year. I did my first navigation event in Sardinia and finished 42nd out of 150. That was a key result for me because I knew then that I could do the Dakar.&#8221;
    Unfortunately his excellent preparation was brought to an abrupt halt when he suffered a spiral fracture of the fifth metatarsal of his right foot in a crash on the road.
    &#8220;I was off my bike for 11 weeks. I had to prepare my bike with my foot in a cast and I&#8217;ve been cycling 30 miles a day with the cast on. It was my aim to be on a bike every weekend but I finally got out on an Enduro bike last week and it felt good.&#8221;
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.