HELP with SUPER LOW MILES KTM Duke

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by 2old2gitpast45°, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 2old2gitpast45°

2old2gitpast45° Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm an Autobody Man by trade, fix wrecks, paint cars ect. so I can turn a wrench, but Bike mechanicals are a bit of a mystery to me ..

SO, I need lotsa professional help .. and some with this AWESOME, SUPER LOW MILE, KTM Duke i just bought.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just Bought a 2000 KTM Duke II, 640 lc (Super Moto ) With 3800 Actual Verifiable miles.

It Belonged to a (Hot) Girl ..
    ( not being demeaning here, she had a bumper sticker that said "Daddy's little Bull Dyke" and one of the most fun people ever ! EVER!)

She had a very nice house in a Bad part of town.. One night in 2003 crooks broke open her wooden garage overhead door, and stole some things, Hedge trimmers, and a tool box, ect, all things they could carry.

BUT SHE KNEW they had SEEN her Duke and figured they would be back after it. So she got 2X4's and long screws ( A bunch of them) and charged her screw gun.. And secured her wooden Garage door with bout 8 2X4's and screws, and screwed and nailed the $hit out of overhead door. sealing it shut like a Tomb !

So, the Duke was sealed up in her Garage, with only the walk-thru door and it was too narrow for the Bike to go thru !

She thought it was a Temporary fix.. BUT .. it was STILL like that ALMOST 9 YEARS LATER in OCTOBER of 2011 When she decides to sell her house and move to Sacramento CA !!

She tells me, " I have a 2000 Duke motorcycle with 3800 miles on it . Hasn't been ridden since 2003.

So. Long Story short, (Too Late!) it's mine, in the Garage.. and instantly all the Problems from sitting 9 years are appearing.
    First ~So I put a NEW Battery in it, and i notice right away, with everything OFF, there is a small 'Spark' when connecting The last post,, meaning a Sure Battery Drain..?

SO, my FIRST QUESTION - WHAT would go bad from just sitting (9 years) That would cause a battery Drain / Short?

MORE INFO~
    I took off the Gas Tank and drained the old gas, I know I'll need to clean/rebuild the carb..

I had it off once, but didn't disassemble it.. all I did was fill the float bowl with carb cleaner, shake it, and drain it out, repeating until it ran clear .. but when I put it back on the Bike, it still would not run, only ran when spraying starting fluid into the carb..

I'm SURE I'll need a disassembly / clean of the Carb .

What do ya'll think I should Do ?

This bike came with all this too, in a KTM Briefcase, Complete with KTM Pen !! LOL Very Cool. (Well I was going to show what all was in the Briefcase, but I can only upload one pic.. Probably cause I'
    M a NOOB.

Attached Files:

2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    My batteries do the same thing, not a worry. After 8 years I'd be more surprised if the battery survived. The carb is surely gummed up with old fuel evaporative residue. Remove the bowl and clear the pilot and main jets and anything else you can reach. That'll probably do it. If you want a nice boost, replace it with a FCR carb. The tires are probably ready to go at this point too. Check the airfilter isn't a mouse house. Change the oil/filters and ride. Shouldn't need much else, maybe chain lube? Swap out the brake fluid when you get a chance too.
  3. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    +1 to Navin's comments, but after that long a nap, pulling off the BST for a complete go-thru is likely warranted... :deal
  4. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    Well cool .. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    one more question - I have 2 owners manuals for 'WP Suspension' Looks like one for front forks, and one for rear shock .. and it has 'WP' on the rear shock.

Did all KTm Duke II's come with this 'WP Suspension' or is that an upgrade she got when she bought it new ?

Attached Files:

6. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    White Power! was standard... :deal
  7. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    Kewl again.. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOmE I'm 57 yrs old now but I was a serious Trail rider in the 80's.. This Duke is waking up old Passions for the Open Trail..

We used to ride in Southern Ohio, place called 'Sinking Springs', The APV area near There, and a Bikers Campground called 'Longs Retreat' and Rode the famous 'Southern Ohio Power lines' could ride 50 miles either direction under the Power lines back then.. ..

me mid 80's~

Attached Files:

8. flashover604

flashover604 tailgunner

Oddometer:
    Pe 175?
  9. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    Yepper ! That's Pretty good! I've had Prob a dozen Dirt and Street/Trail Bikes.. Last I had was a DR 250 4 stroke street/trail that I really liked ..

On this Duke, I ust took the Carb ALL APART ( Per: Creeper's BST Bible) and cleaned it thourghiy.. Got it back on and ,, STILL NO START !! ARRRRGGGHHHH !!!!!

I'll start all over tomorow.. Sigh...
  10. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    It almost certainly has a fuel tap somewhere.

Take it off and clean it - those things gum up like carbs given enough time.

Pete
  11. jmcclesk

jmcclesk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    are you in the sacramento area???
  12. P 0 P E Y E

P 0 P E Y E Bald rider

Oddometer:
    Start over on the carb. Try to be smarter than the fuel. Inspect and understand the path the fuel needs to travel to get from the tank to the combustion chamber. Ensure path is clear Make sure the float works.

Another trick to start a bike that has sat is to put some oil in the cylinder. This oil will cause the piston rings to seal better and bring up the compression. With out enough compression, you will not get fuel to be sucked thru the main jet.

Take out the spark plug and put two cap fulls from a quart of oil. Hold your thumb or a rag over the vacant hole while turning the engine over a couple of revolutions. Put plug back in and try to start.
  13. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    I'm in Dayton Ohio...

Yea .. I'm going to take it apart one more time.. (Third Time is the charm ? )

There is a blocked passage somewhere.. Gotta Be .

If i spray Starting Fluid in the carb, it will fire.. so I think Compression is ok .. as is the Spark plug ..
  14. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    yup, you got something goofed with the carb. take it back apart make sure everything is clean. make sure you can blow air through all your jets and jet passages, including the air screw. one of the biggest mistakes made by people when they first tear into this carb is the float height, if it is off, it can cause all sorts of issues. confirm that your is correct.

while you have the carb out, you may want to do a quick valve check. i doubt that it was ever done, and at your miles would be about the first time you need to check. tight intakes will cause the bike to be a bitch to start.

good luck,

laramie :beer
  15. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    Nothing, no words of wisdom about the big-end bearing? And trans roller bearing?
  16. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    I don't understand .
  17. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

I don't either... Two of the main issues of KTM black engines and I don't understand how the thread has gone so long without anyone telling you what you need to watch out for.

They're just things to look out and be prepared for. All KTM black, well, 640 black's that I know of had a big end bearing that was sub-standard from the factory... I think, though prolly am wrong, there was a recall on it.

Then there is/was the trans tapered or roller bearing.

These are all things that WILL be masked by low miles.

18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    2003 was the first year the factory modded the mainshaft bearing behind the clutch basket from a ball to a more robust roller bearing. The big end rod bearing issue is unknown to me... :deal
  19. 2old2gitpast45°

Oddometer:
    Kewl I'll keep an eye on it ... Clearly I'M going to need a KTMotorcycle KTMechanic .. as I only actually paint them.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/0139fc173659284

Real Pic of Me in a fender I painted .
    no photoshop in that pic, .. cause i'M not just Old School, I'M Old's Kewl.

[​IMG]:thumb
    [​IMG]
  20. lvdukerider

lvdukerider Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer:
    Either clean the carb again or opt for a FCR 41 like I did to my "gray motor" 2000 Duke II to make it run like the factory proably intended. Purchaed mine new 11/99, recieved the briefcase but not the pen or suspention manuals. Congrats on your find.